Running shoes...

Options
My new ones have been on back order and I finally got them. They are so perfect and beautiful and now I am afraid to wear them outside. That's ridiculous, right? I mean, even though I do winter running on a treadmill, I can wear them outside...

Where do you wear your running shoes? In the gym? Out of the gym? Everywhere?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I run outside...
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I run outside year around. And I only wear my running shoes when I run (they're usually immediately covered in mud.)
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got a new pair of trail shoes this past summer and 4 weeks in ran a race that went through a mud bog...I saw people taking off their socks and shoes to wade through barefoot...no way. I just got a new pair of trail shoes for Christmas and finally have time to drive up to my favorite trail this weekend. We have had a lot of rain, so I know the trails are going to be wet and muddy :)
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I only wear them when I run. Most of the year I can run outside but a few months out of the summer even Satan thinks it's too hot here so I use the dreadmill.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My new ones have been on back order and I finally got them. They are so perfect and beautiful and now I am afraid to wear them outside. That's ridiculous, right? I mean, even though I do winter running on a treadmill, I can wear them outside...

Where do you wear your running shoes? In the gym? Out of the gym? Everywhere?

Where them for running...wearing them everywhere is just going to wear them out faster.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I only wear them when I run. Most of the year I can run outside but a few months out of the summer even Satan thinks it's too hot here so I use the dreadmill.
    Same, but reverse it for me in the cold. Since I've started losing weight, I have almost zero threshold for cold. Come late March and April, but Dec-March I'm an inside kind of girl.
  • MichaelJM1960
    MichaelJM1960 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can wear your running shoes to and from a running activity; but generally...use your running shoes for running. The general believe is your shoes will start to lose their cushioning and stride corrective ability when you reach something north of 300 miles. I recommend to people I coach keeping miles south of 450. Unless they're wet every day or so, they'll last just fine. Keep your last pair to knock around in.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine for running, but I have an outside pair and a pair I use just for my treadmill. Dirt and dust are a treadmill motor's worst enemy, so my inside shoes have never seen the light of day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I wear mine only for running, until I "retire" them and they become my every day and walk the dog shoes. I keep track of the mileage, so I know when it's getting to be time to stop running in the shoes.
  • kristynsflab
    kristynsflab Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a pair for outside running and a pair for gym/inside.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Where do you wear your running shoes?

Wherever I'm running. Never when I'm not running.

Mud Claws, Roclites or Race Ultras for offroad and Road Claws for Road.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Self admitted shoe junkie here.

Outside only shoes
    Home treadmill shoes
    At the gym only shoes

Several of each.

Yes, it's embarrassing; leave me alone in my shame.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I only wear my running shoes running outside. They frequently return home so encrusted with mud and snow they aren't allowed in the house. When it gets windy they roll all over my front yard. In the summer this knocks off some of the the mud, but in the winter they end up full of snow. I always buy the previous year or two's model in whatever color is cheapest, so I don't really feel your struggle. I think running shoes are meant to be functional rather than fashionable and frequently replaced so I don't let myself get attached.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    same as everyone else: running shoes are for running ONLY, and I run outside. Retired shoes become gym and walking shoes, after that they become everyday or junk shoes. I have specific training shoes and race shoes.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine for running. They're expensive and I don't want to shorten their life by wearing them for anything else. Retired running shoes can be worn wherever as long as they're in decent shape.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    OUTSIDE!! Within 1 day I got my trail running shoes covered in mud (thanks to some creepy guy following me) but shoes are made for running and they will get dirty. Your running shoes would probably be sad if they were only kept inside.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. They will have to be indoor/outdoor until I can save up for an indoor only pair. I guess I should take a before/after photo of my shoes, also.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I just got a new pair from my local running store and ordered 4 more pair of last year's model online (big time savings). I fully intend to wear all 5 pairs outside all year long and completely beat the hell out of them. They will only look nice for a few days I promise. :wink:

Last year's running shoes become this year's shoes for mowing the grass and walking at work.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I hate getting new running shoes dirty, I always try to run somewhere dry and clean to start with but inevitably they end up dirty within a week or so! I often take pics of my new ones with my old ones so you can see how beaten up and filthy they become, they travel hundreds of miles so they tell a story!
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I recommend to people I coach keeping miles south of 450. Unless they're wet every day or so, they'll last just fine.

I think this applies more to older guys like myself. My last pair was close to 600 when I retired them and I was developing ITB problems and knee pains. As soon as I changed shoes the problems went away, reinforcing the concept of the replacement miles.

Then I go to races and I see these kids (teens and early 20s) with shoes that look like they've got a few thousand miles on them and they are absolutely crushing the run times. Makes me sad to be retiring shoes every 3 - 4 months but I can't risk a preventable injury that may put me on the bench for weeks or months of recovery.