Any runners? I'm trying to increase my time

Options
I started running outdoors now for a week to change up from the gym. Any tips or tricks to get a faster time on a mile. I jog about 2.2 miles at a very relaxed pace. I find that if I run too fast I end up slowing down further down the workout. Any suggestions are welcomed. Also, still haven't felt this runners high I hear about just pain and exhaustion lol

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Run slowly for now. Build your endurance and aerobic base. Maybe take up a bike for cross training, as it will get you in shape with much less impact, pain, and exhaustion. Consider following a program like Couch to 5K. Get fitted for good running shoes.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Keep running at relaxed pace and slowly keep increasing distance. Once your endurance builds up you will be able to run a faster mile. Keep running longer to eventually run faster
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You should mix some high intensity interval training into your running routine (google that and you will find lots of info).
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these responses it helps alot. Going to try some interval training use the light lamps in my route. Going to check this couch to 5k stuff out as well. Much appreciated all. The goal is do a 5k this upcoming month
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm going to try running longer never thought of that. I'm excited for tomorrow morning now.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Don't do interval training yet. That's majoring in the minors. Interval training will ultimately help your sprints (which won't really help your 10K time because a sprint is not sustainable, it burns a match, like you noticed and mentioned in your OP) but not your endurance.

As your endurance improves, you'll have more "gas in the tank" and you'll be able to use it to run faster over shorter distances.

If you have a Garmin, they have free running plans.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    What @nothcascades said. Avoid interval training and just work on building your endurance through slow, easy running while gradually increasing the distance. Increased speed will come.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I concur with the advice above. No intervals (unless you mean walk / run intervals). Injury risk is high and reward is low. Save the advance training for later (after a year and you can run 6+ miles easily).

Good luck.
  • Docbanana2002
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorry, but interval training is part of developing speed at any distance, not just for sprinting. The OP said he can run a couple of miles and wants to do a single mile faster, so that's a way to do it.

That being said, if you are training for a 5k in the near future and 2 mile runs don't yet feel good, it would make sense to drop the "increase per mile speed" goal and focus on distance goals right now. It is really hard to do both at once, you probably should pick the distance goal right now and those who say that the per mile speed will gradually improve as a byproduct of the distance work are correct. But once you hit your distance goal and want to hold that steady and target speed, which is what I initially thought you were trying to do, the most direct way to do that is to actually work on running intervals that are faster.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. But not for beginners. I am training for a marathon and I do speed work every week. But I've been at this for a while. For beginners, speed comes with distance.
  • Docbanana2002
    edited January 2017
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I concur with the advice above. No intervals (unless you mean walk / run intervals). Injury risk is high and reward is low. Save the advance training for later (after a year and you can run 6+ miles easily).

Good luck.

Maybe here is the source of disagreement (and my puzzlement that people are anti intervals) because I use the term "interval training" to refer to any training where you do intervals of higher intensity mixed with intervals of lower intensity (rather than going the same speed for the whole run but just trying to make it faster, as OP appears to be doing). That's all I was recommending. High/low would be relative to the persons current fitness level so it is not an inherently advanced technique. For a beginner, interval training looks like jog/walk, couch to 5k style. For someone more fit it might be run/walk or sprint/jog intervals. OP, the point is to not just try to pick a challenging speed and maintain it for all 2 miles, but to maintain a challenging speed for a short interval, then back off to rest, then pick up again.
  • Docbanana2002
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Yes, it is. But not for beginners. I am training for a marathon and I do speed work every week. But I've been at this for a while. For beginners, speed comes with distance.

I was addressing my comment to the person who said interval training doesn't impact 10k times, not to you. Clearly you understand that speed work isn't just for being a better sprinter but also better distance runner too.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Maybe here is the source of disagreement (and my puzzlement that people are anti intervals) because I use the term "interval training" to refer to any training where you do intervals of higher intensity mixed with intervals of lower intensity (rather than going the same speed for the whole run but just trying to make it faster, as OP appears to be doing).

Your recommendation was High Intensity Interval Training.

A new runner doesn't have the base aerobic capacity to really do a high intensity session. Walk/ run intervals and high intensity are very different propositions.

I'd generally suggest that a new runner needs to be running at least 10km sessions 2-3 times per week before embarking on speed sessions, not least because a decent quality speed session will cover at least 7-8km of total distance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...which won't really help your 10K time...

Cruise intervals, threshold runs/ intervals and sprint intervals will all have an effect on ability to sustain a higher pace over endurance distances. A lot of that is about improving tolerance at, or just above, the lactate threshold. Sprint intervals have much less value if one is focused on marathon type performance, although they still have a place.

There is little point in doing any of those until one can run for an extended period of time though.

You're into the realms of 80/20 though. Most improvement comes from time on ones feet, lots of steady paced miles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run farther, but slower...
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Maybe here is the source of disagreement (and my puzzlement that people are anti intervals)

Nobody is anti-intervals. But a lot of people are anti-hype, and pro-common sense. Intervals have their place, it's just that that place isn't "everywhere." They're a tool, and, like all tools, should be used appropriately.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can look online for speed intervals, that'll help you train to increase speed.

I'm training for a half marathon, a 6 month program. First two months are endurance only, so like today, I had to run 6km...speed didnt matter, all that matters is to finish the 6k, run the whole thing.

I'm a pretty slow runner, I'm average 7min to complete 1km, but my last two months of training, the plan gives me speed intervals to increase my speed once I get my endurance to where it needs to be.

Maybe finding a speed training plan would do you good, but as a newer runner maybe try added more distance and work on speed later :)

Oh, and runners high? I've never experienced it and I've been a runner for a couple years now :P
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner, just started a few weeks ago and run/jogging inside. It definitly is giving me a high, even at this stage I feel my depression and usual northern winter doldrums literally melt out of me after a 15 minute go hard at it. Endorphins rock!
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I'm a beginner, just started a few weeks ago and run/jogging inside. It definitly is giving me a high, even at this stage I feel my depression and usual northern winter doldrums literally melt out of me after a 15 minute go hard at it. Endorphins rock!

OhI hear you on the depressing northern winters, I find if I don't run I get bogged down and even pretty anxious. Running is so great for letting off some steam and just having you time