Need a second opinion on my diet. Trying to lose fat and gain muscle. 27 yo Female.

Options
I've been doing some research online, and started a diet based on a few facts I learned.
On training day, I get 255g. of protein, 255 g. of carbs, and just 40g. of fat... Easy peasy. I am chugging water like mad. I seem to have lost 1 pound in five days, which I'm okay with. I'm doing strenuous weight lifting.

After reading a few posts on the community here, I'm wondering if I'm getting too much protein and not enough carbs.

I'm 27, 170lbs. I'm considered overweight, but don't look it as I use to weight lift quite often, just never adding a healthy and correct diet. I'm ready to do this, but I don't want to waste my time working out so hard, and destroying it by not getting what I need. So my question: Is protein and carbs equally important in gaining muscle and losing weight? If so, do you think I am getting enough? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, and thank you in advance.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 255 grams of protein is overkill. You could easily eat around 125 grams and you'd be eating plenty. I'm a competitive female bodybuilder and even at a stage weight more than your current weight I wouldn't even touch 225 grams of protein. I'd say hit somewhere around 125-150 grams of protein add some more fats, but I personally wouldn't worry about hitting exact carbs or fat amounts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    255g of protein is ridiculous, and 40g of fat seems way too little.
  • pioneermom2
    pioneermom2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This seems to be the consensus. I'm 5ft 4". I was having a hard time hitting my protein levels. I'm sure that's why. Anything else?
  • pioneermom2
    pioneermom2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And what about my carbohydrates? Too high, too low?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What's your body fat percentage approximately? 170 at 5'4" is actually 5 pounds from obese based on BMI. I know you say that you have lifted previously, which for some can make that number irrelevant. I ask because if you're thinking about recomposition at a higher body fat your visible results will be significantly slower than lowering body fat first.

Carbs and fat are more of a personal preference thing. Your fat is a bit low, fats are necessary for many metabolic functions. You could easily just move the excess protein calories into fat and not adjust carbs. When I'm not cutting for a show I tend to just focus on overall calories and keeping protein between 100 and 150 grams most days and ignoring where carbs or fat fall. That has worked out well for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options