Beginners exercise?

Options
Hi

Looking for some advice started my weight loss 2 weeks ago and down 11lbs, I would like to get in exercise aswell as looking to be healthier and fitter.

I am currently 19stone13 (279 lbs) so obviously not the fittest! I take the stairs at work now instead of the lift but looking to see what best exercise to start with and how long each day? Cant really afford a gym membership at the moment so not really an option

If anyone could help that would be great :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I didn't do anything besides walk initially. My focus was just on moving more so I made it a point to go for a walk pretty much every day for about an hour.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Taking the stairs is a great start- also just walking more can make a big difference if you are staying within your MFP calorie limit. You can also look up body weight exercises like squatting you can do at home, and even starting with some low weight dumbells you can do alot. Every little bit helps!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise and doesn't cost a thing (other than buying decent shoes if you don't already own them).
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started with walking, at first just going for short amount of time, and then gradually building up. I was told be my PCP that it is better to do a small amount every day - even if only 5-10minutes - then to do a lot of exercise only one day a week (higher risk of injury) when starting out. I think I started with a 10-15 minute walk 5-6 days a week.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and stretching. I have recently added running and some strength DVDs.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you're taking stairs instead of elevator. I work out at home as well. It's such a hassle to go to the gym. I feel self conscious and can't concentrate on my workouts.I bought some free weights at home and built a mini gym. It works for me tremendously as a woman I don't have to lift too heavy. Keep doing what you're doing. Best of luck!!!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There are tons of things you can do at home with little to no equipment that are really beneficial. Walking and running obviously. Modified push ups, lunges, working with dumbells, dips etc. There's also tons of free exercise videos online if you want to some cardio but I'd keep the focus on bodyweight exercises and weights to help maintain your muscle as you lose weight. Losing weight through a calorie deficit and focusing on cardio inevitably leads to the "skinny fat" issue and you'll lose muscle as well as fat.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    Options
    Thanks all :smile: just bought myself some new joggers etc and a small kettlebell. Had a look oj youtube and theres a lot of decent videos also
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    so what i would do where i used to live there was a big space in the living room and i found that my cable had on demand work out that i would do when no one was home now i just joined a gym and yess i feel some self conscious (im 250) i feel like you said the effort is whats important to start if i can just go and start its much better than not going at all. when I do go (this is all new to me only week one) i bike which is something i used to like even tho i find it now hurts my tail bone and i use a couple weight machines. after that i usually go swimming i do a few laps mabe shoot a few basket balls and use the hot tub to relax my sore muscles not only from the work out but from actual work (i worn in a kitchen).
  • Calieth
    Calieth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was getting started I would walk in place on a mat while watching a tv episode. Start simple at first, then higher knees, then add in some side stepping, raising your arms to get your heart rate up. Eventually I jogged lightly in place. I lost my first 20 pounds this way.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You should check out fitnessblender.com. They have tons of videos catered to all levels, and you can select the equipment you have, or none at all.
  • dindon68
    dindon68 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started by walking around the block twice a day. I had to use my inhaler 4 times the first day. I the progressed to walking to work, the first time I walked it took me 1.5 hours, I now do it in 45 mins. Walking really is the best way to start, put some good music on and walk away the weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    dindon68 wrote: »
    I started by walking around the block twice a day. I had to use my inhaler 4 times the first day. I the progressed to walking to work, the first time I walked it took me 1.5 hours, I now do it in 45 mins. Walking really is the best way to start, put some good music on and walk away the weight.

Wow - good for you!

Yes - fast paced tunes and I'm ready to go.

OP - if outdoor walking isn't your thing, look for "walking style" workouts on YouTube. Leslie Sansone & Jessica Smith. These are low impact and you can do them rain or shine, any time of the day.
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi

Looking for some advice started my weight loss 2 weeks ago and down 11lbs, I would like to get in exercise aswell as looking to be healthier and fitter.

I am currently 19stone13 (279 lbs) so obviously not the fittest! I take the stairs at work now instead of the lift but looking to see what best exercise to start with and how long each day? Cant really afford a gym membership at the moment so not really an option

You are doing great already!
    As a beginner you will see results very soon.
    To maximize your fat loss I would try intermittent fasting and clean, healthy eating.
    Also try this for an excercise: walk for an hour in a fasted state ( mornings probably), drink water only, maybe green tea or black coffee
    Later on you could do some resistance or hiit training ( full body workout and you can use your bodyweight no need for gym or any fancy machines those are just waste of time)

Good luck
  • coboblack
    coboblack Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi

I will share with you something that has worked for me and a lot of my friends I am helping.

Week 1: Daily do the following. The key is, NO resting in between exercises. You rest one muscle group while working out the next and you want to stay moving the entire time. Everything is done with body weight. Do it in this order.

Monday-Friday

10 min of Deep Stretching/Yoga (I have playlist of classical music that last 10 min that I stretch until the 3 songs are over.) - Do this either in the morning, or before you do your workout.

20 Jumping Jacks
    20 Deep squats
    20 Lunges
    20 Push Ups
    20 Sit ups
    20 Push Ups on knees

Then do one of the following:
    Run stairs 10 times
    Set timer for 2 min and shadow box.
    Jog for 5 min
    Walk for 10 min

Week 2:

Same as week 1

Monday, Wed, Friday

10 min of Deep Stretching/Yoga

20 Jumping Jacks
    20 Deep squats
    20 Lunges
    20 Push Ups
    20 Sit ups
    20 Push Ups on knees

Then do one of the following:
    Run stairs 10 times
    Set timer for 2 min and shadow box.
    Jog for 5 min
    Walk for 10 min

Tuesday, Thursday

10 min of Deep Stretching/Yoga

Set Timer for 10 Min
    Then simply do all your normal exercises nonstop until the timer goes out. (The focus is on 10 min of activity non-stop as opposed to simply meeting a rep requirement. If you finish all your exercises, do them all again.)

Set timer for 10 min. Walk to cool down

Week 3
    Same as Week 2

Week 4

Same as Week 3 Except Tuesday, Thursday you set timer for 20 min.

Week 5

Same as week 4

Week 6

Same as week 5. But now flip the days you do the 20 min circuit training. Now do circuit training on Monday, Wed, Friday and then add an activity that last an hour on Tuesday and Thursday. (Playing basketball, a martial art, kick boxing class, etc) Do this at least 2x a week for a total of 120 min of fun but hard activity.) If you can't get this activity, do an areobic or kickboxing class you follow on youtube.

Now, welcome to your new life =)

You will get daily activity and burn calories. You will get more flexible and stronger while building endurance and you will have fun. This also slowly builds your endurance and flexibility to get your body ready for doing more active things in the later weeks I mentioned. Doing this and prepping my meals I lost 1-2 pounds a week. (This is with also having a cheat day and rest from workout on weekends.

Edit: If this is too hard for you, it is easy to manipulate the reps or timer to suit your needs. Just make sure that once you get your starting point, you still make the increases according to schedule.

And remember, there is a difference between not being capable of doing something and simply being uncomfortable doing it or exhausted. The point is to be tired. You should be a little sweaty. Arms and legs might be shaking a little and you'll be out of breath. Thats a good thing! You'll notice that as you increase in flexibilty, strength and endurance, it will stop being torture and it will be something that feels good and you'll look forward to.
  • fatbottomgirl0309
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'4" and about 220lbs. Very out of shape. I also am just starting to incorporate exercise into my life and since it's freezing right now I have to wait a few months to get decent walks in. I'm going to be starting Zumba again. I love it because it can be as low or high impact as you want, and I can go at my own pace. I'm so uncoordinated and trip over my own feet (haha), but it gets me moving and it's fun and I love the music! There are dvds, of course, but there are so many videos online- YouTube, pinterest etc. I'm excited to get back into zumba and I wish you well in whatever you choose to do and on your journey :)
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would do pilates 3 times a week and at first when I was 279 lbs, it was a LOT of pausing and catching my breath..and I walked three times a week... that I didnt have to catch my breath on but I started at a mile only. I NEVER used a scale to measure my food. I calculated what was on the packaging. I "guessed" on fresh veggies. I tried to aim for 1200 cal a week but of course with any new diet I failed a lot to start with. I lost over a 100 lbs in less than a year. Now I am having to do it all over again. Lots of pausing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For Cardio and Strength Training I am a big fan of HASFIT's youtube videos there are plenty of low impact beginner videos with no equipment or light dumbells. I started with those and have gradually started doing them with heavier dumbells and doing slightly longer videos. I also do their 15 min beginner stretching routine most days, when I started 9 weeks ago I could barely get my leg up to do a quad stretch, now it's easy peasy and I can do the more advanced quad stretch.

I was 18 stone 4lb when I started out in December and I've lost 11lb so far without having to modify my food habits too much.
    I've also toned up considerably and find my cardio capability has improved.

Whatever you choose to do make sure it's something you enjoy you're much more likely to stick at it.

February will probably be a good time to check out 2nd hand listings for equipment as there'll be a few new year resolutionists who've quit and decided to sell off their good intentions :lol:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You tube---Leslie Sansone walking DVD's.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Quick update. I have been using YouTube videos for weights and walking (Lesley sansone) I am now down 40lbs so far and feeling so much better already. Did my first 5km cancer walk last weekend also it used to take me 30mins to walk a mile and I have now managed 3miles in an hour and pushing to be able to jog in a few months. Thanks for all your advice a few months ago!