Yoga

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
I always have hated yoga. Just found out hubby has compressed discs in his back and was told to incorporate yoga into his life. Where do I begin looking? What is a actual good program to try?

Replies

• kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If he hasn't done yoga previously, I strongly recommend he take a few classes at a studio so instructors can help with form. In my area there are always Groupon deals at just about every school in the area.
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have started incorporating yoga into most days due to a back injury/chronic back pain. I YouTube "Yoga with Adriene". She has a whole bunch of videos from 5 minutes to 60 minutes and also for specific things like back pain, running etc. I also got a few different dvds from my local library to check out and some books for newbies, people with no flexibility etc. Overall, I prefer following Adriene's videos.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Thx. I'll check them out. We live out of town, no where to go, no classes etc. it has to be done at home
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kejw08 wrote: »
    If he hasn't done yoga previously, I strongly recommend he take a few classes at a studio so instructors can help with form. In my area there are always Groupon deals at just about every school in the area.

I firmly believe most activity, including lifting weights, is best started with professional guidance. Having done yoga off and on through the years (and weights for 20+ years), i FIRMLY agree that classes with live human instructors are best for yoga at first. Lest he hurt himself further. I LOVE the internet, but there are some things that are best learned from professionals who can see you doing it. Modeling is great. Feedback can be invaluable.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    If there arent any studios nearby, look online or ads on local bulletin boards (cooperatives, libraries, and coffee shops) to see if any instructors can come to your home or meet somewhere to assist with form and technique. A couple of sessions should suffice.
  • lin7604
    Options
    I mean when we live out of town, we do! In the boondocks! There is nothing here, we would have to travel to the city which is not convienent. Plus hubby works all odd hours and nights etc so it just not easy. I've looked and can't find anyone that would come here, without it being a outrageous fee too, which we can't afford....
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Fightmaster yoga on YouTube has a lot of beginner stuff as well.
  • cdbell73
    cdbell73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Download the app yoga studio. It has classes ranging from beginner to advance and it's only $4
  • xandrapn6
    xandrapn6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Down Dog is a pretty good yoga app, and you get some of the routines for free, so you can decide if you like the style of the all. Also if you look online for Anatomy of Fitness: yoga they have a set that I really enjoy. Good for beginners. Good luck I hope you find what you need.