From You're too skinny to Are you pregnant? 27yo 5'7 144lb

Options
It's ridiculous and frustrating to be hearing that from literally EVERYONE. I used to get a lot of negativity for "being too skinny" (naturally) to now being shamed for having gained weight around my belly.

Were you also skinny before? Or are you apple-shaped?

I'm new here and would like to make new friends to motivate each other. :)
CW: 144lb
HW: 145lb
GW: 120lb

Replies

• Chandra126
    Chandra126 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Same.
    Word for word. Criticized for being too thin, then when I gained a bit of weight I had 2 people ask me if I was pregnant. Very similar stats. Small frame and unfortunate body type (gain weight on stomach mostly)

• sashaannbrown
    sashaannbrown Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's what happened when i was a kid now that i am overweight people comment that either i am gaining too much weight or i don't need to lose any because all I wear is loose clothing and they don't see. Most of my weight is on my stomach and thighs.
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Chandra126 wrote: »
    Same.
    Word for word. Criticized for being too thin, then when I gained a bit of weight I had 2 people ask me if I was pregnant. Very similar stats. Small frame and unfortunate body type (gain weight on stomach mostly)

There is so much judgment in this world sometimes! I love your choice of words "unfortunate body type". Sometimes I think I'm doomed, what if I never lose this shape? My mom and older brother got like this, too. My dad also was skinny, however got a small belly now, BUT he's 59, and I gained this at 26 (anddd mine is bigger :neutral: ). Have you been able to lose anything?
  • olyamhc
    Options
    That's what happened when i was a kid now that i am overweight people comment that either i am gaining too much weight or i don't need to lose any because all I wear is loose clothing and they don't see. Most of my weight is on my stomach and thighs.

Omg, totally what happens with me - I also often get people saying "You don't need to lose" when I'm clearly wearing a loose shirt.
  • Jenny4Sue
    Jenny4Sue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Or fret! ... keep going push yourself to get more physical and overtime with you can beat the extra pounds
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    WTHELL? 144 isnt even big. Theyre crazy. I bet they just are asking because you were very thin and all of a sudden you are closer to "average". xo
  • olyamhc
    Options
    @Verity1111 I know right! It is because I was pretty skinny (could see ribs if I would bend down or twist, but this was always me naturally, I ate well and didn't exercise). The issue is that this weight is so concentrated in the middle of my belly - if I face you directly, I still have a natural waist.

Thank you, everyone, for chipping in. It's helpful to hear some of these things from people who don't know me! I'm new here and will definitely stick. I've been exercising for a year, which helped me gain nice muscle, but the weight is still here, hence I'm trying to count calories now. I'm on a 5 day streak! The most I've been able to do before was 3 days by using some other apps. Apps aren't very helpful to me, I love the website, where I can write while I work.
  • Chandra126
    Options
    I am older than you, and yes I have lost some weight. My discipline with food is not always great. I think maybe because I have been used to eating whatever I wanted and being slim. I also didn't weigh myself for a long time.

My weight gain came in two "stages" at about age 31 I had gained to be about 130. I didn't weigh myself for several years, and wear scrubs everyday. I really didn't notice the weight gain.

I'm 41, 5'6" and my highest weight was 140, I am about 128 lbs now, and have been holding that weight for about a year. I still have pesky stomach fat, and in reality should probably be about 118-120. And btw I have never been pregnant, haha!

The only thing I have done differently is tried to count calories as accurately as I can. And I bought a fitbit - I like it because it keeps me motivated.

If you are new here be forewarned there are lots of entries in the database that are not accurate. I am not new to the site, but new to the forums.

#1 best tip I have for you is to buy a food scale. I don't weigh low calorie vegetables, but anything calorie dense, I weigh.

My exercise hasn't changed. I like running (I like the treadmill, don't have to worry about the weather, cars etc), casual bike riding in the summer, walking and I did all of this before I gained weight. Some sort of resistance training is what I'm trying to work on now (I hate it!). If you look around the forums there is a lot of good advice on here.

My mom and brother are the same (body shape). My brother did lose weight, but he didn't try to or eat healthy, he just got a more active job and the weight came off (lucky him!) My mom was always tiny when she was younger, but gained weight as she got older. She is still not very big, but would like to lose some weight (she doesn't try tho).

You will figure it out, and don't get discouraged if your loss it is not as quick as you want.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    People just get so used to seeing you one way that any change upsets that .
  • olyamhc
    Options
    @Chandra126 You sold me on the food scale, I'm looking for some right now online. The other day I bought a small measuring cup and found that it helped me with measuring my yogurt so far (and training my eye to learn better portion sizes - I have always eaten large dinners). Thank you for your honest suggestion :)
    And definitely the database for the calories can have one thing with a calorie difference of 100cal+...so far I try to pick the median.

• Chandra126
    Options
    A food scale is kind of a transforming experience in understanding portions. I was shocked! If you like peanut butter or hummus, or chips (or whatever) and actually weigh the portions it is kinda sadly humbling!

Honestly, doing your best to accuratly track your calories can keep you accountable, even if you go over in your calorie goal.

You sound like you are on the right track already :)
  • BrandonJackson89
    BrandonJackson89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    olyamhc wrote: »
    It's ridiculous and frustrating to be hearing that from literally EVERYONE. I used to get a lot of negativity for "being too skinny" (naturally) to now being shamed for having gained weight around my belly.

Were you also skinny before? Or are you apple-shaped?

I'm new here and would like to make new friends to motivate each other. :)
    CW: 144lb
    HW: 145lb
    GW: 120lb

Hey I usually over look or try to turn things around or/and I just genuinely smile and keep going because regardless I know my self worth.
    On second tho specially someone continually making comments or putting in there two cents, fluck'em. I've always thought if someone can be in there right mind and try to consistently downgrade someone else for whatever reason either myself or others, ones not losing much by literally marking those people insignificant and moving on.