Sad Hungry

Options
I want to eat something. I want to smoke a cigarette. How do you resist the urge to be unhealthy when you're sad?

Replies

• patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I stop being sad
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Practice self-control.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Aww. I'm sorry you're feeling down. :'( A short nap, yoga, tai chi, or meditation can help. Also, if you YouTube funny videos, it may cheer you up long enough to stay strong.
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ew, why are some people being so nasty? I gather this is a forum for supporting one another.

@macedinthedick As someone who is a therapist and a life-long depression sufferer, best thing I can recommend is to seek out therapy (You can do it through your insurance if you have it, or websites like helppro, psychologytoday, or zocdoc dot com). Local agencies or private practitioners may offer sliding scale fees.

Start journaling, write out all things you can do when you get sad (how about having a spa day at home for half hr by soaking in a tub with lavender oil, taking an aimless walk in a direction you don't usually go to, search the Internet for recipes of veggies you don't usually eat or never tried, paint your nails, visualize self being in a nice place like a beach, mountain, field, or learn a new social skill). The possibilities are endless, but you have to put in the work. Actually write down this list and keep in nearby for easier access when you feel sad. Also, light cardio for 15mins at least can drastically improve your mood right away.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stay away from facebook live. You might supplement with St. John's Wort. In mild cases of depression an informed doctor will start you on St. John's Wort before attempting the stronger stuff. A lot of people find that vigorous exercise drives away sadness. 30 minutes of good cardio is worth trying. Maybe take up knitting, as that occupies both sides of your brain and you don't have any resource to devote to sadness.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Activity? Take a walk, visit the gym, hit a punching bag, do one of those adult coloring books, journal about your feelings, take up a hobby...
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I find even a short run or walk outside helps a little. Or distraction. Or doing something creative: drawing, building something, writing.

Shower/bath.
    Stretching.

Addressing the core issue ...
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I agree the first two posters were kinda snarky but their advice is a short way of saying what I will hopefully say more constructively...
    --not being sad....hard to just snap out of it right? Sometimes the sad days will come but if you are seeing them a lot then I would recommend a counselor to help with what might be depression. No reason to suffer needlessly. Get some help if this is an ongoing problem.
    --practicing self control...again easier said than done. It can help to work on the environment in your house so you don't have calorie dense food around that can tempt you in these moments. Also, the fact that you see food as a way to deal with difficult emotions is something you may need to address moving forward. Food is fuel and nutrition for your body....pleasurable fuel but still fuel. If you are relying on it to cope then you might need to start adjusting the way you see food and also learning new ways to cope that are more in line with being healthy. When I am sad, a nice walk and some fresh air really lifts my spirits. Also, anything to get my mind off a negative track like a funny movie or interesting book or fun friend to talk with tcan help.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. If you're an extrovert, call or text with a friend and make plans to meet. If you're an introvert, take some time for whatever your favorite hobby/activity is. Work on your current project or plan/research a new project. If vigorous exercise makes you feel good, go for a run/bike ride by yourself or with a friend. Quiet exercise-do some yoga poses at home. Re-watch a movie that makes you feel good, or re-read your favorite book.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I always find funny cat videos helpful when I am sad. :)

There are studies that show that watching cute animal videos releases dopamine and raises mood!!

OP - try and address the sad. Rather than engaging in behaviors which might actually make you more sad (eating, smoking), go for a walk, or a drive, or visit an art gallery, something different but contemplative.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Forget funny cats! Watch the video of the zoo person playing with a platypus! Oh how I need one!
  • secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are spiritual, meditate. work on a hobby, talk to someone you trust, start a diary, vent your frustrations in a video (you dont have to share it), etc
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with depression and anxiety all of my life. It's only recently that I've started taking medication and taking positive steps towards trying to treat that, then focus on the other stuff. When I'm feeling particularly low and want to eat I try to distract myself with ANYTHING. Something that makes you laugh (like cat videos), or occupy your hands (I knit and crochet, or just play video games), occupy your mind (read a book, watch a documentary) and failing that, I think about how I'd feel more sad and upset with myself if I gave in and ate when I shouldn't.

I do recommend trying to seek help for your mental health. It is as real an issue as someone with a broken leg or a long-lasting illness (because it IS an illness). There is support out there when you need it. Something I've realised after getting help is knowing that you're not alone.

I hope you start to feel better soon *hugs*.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When I'm able to reason with myself, I tell myself that none of those self-destructive behaviors will actually make me feel better; ten minutes after indulging, I will feel much worse. I pace, I shower, go to bed, I craft, or write, or doodle around the Internet, or I sometimes eat something very low calorie, like air popped popcorn or a a bowl of plain broth. It takes practice, I don't get it right all the time, but I'm getting better at it as time goes by - the wins are definitely outnumbering the losses.

I read a book called Feeling Good that gave me some strategies that were helpful.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I had to euthanize my 14yo cat yesterday, so I'm on the sad train too. I'm an emotional eater and I tend to just lie in bed when depressed, so I needed a plan for when sad stuff inevitably happens.

1) I always have some calories saved back so I can be more relaxed about my intake occasionally without blowing my progress. And I try to figure what is just enough to enjoy. I had pizza last night, but a veggie one, not my usual meatlovers.

2) I got dressed straight into my workout clothes in the morning, and just wore them until I was ready to actually do it. I know I always feel better during exercise, because it's distracting, and after, because endorphins and a feeling of accomplishment. It worked. All that depth breathing. I still cried later, but at least I knew my day wasn't all bad.

Lastly, don't let the *kittens* get you down. Feel your feelings, cope as you can, and work on climbing out of it a little at a time. *Hugs*

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    olyamhc wrote: »
    Ew, why are some people being so nasty? I gather this is a forum for supporting one another.

@macedinthedick As someone who is a therapist and a life-long depression sufferer, best thing I can recommend is to seek out therapy (You can do it through your insurance if you have it, or websites like helppro, psychologytoday, or zocdoc dot com). Local agencies or private practitioners may offer sliding scale fees.

Start journaling, write out all things you can do when you get sad (how about having a spa day at home for half hr by soaking in a tub with lavender oil, taking an aimless walk in a direction you don't usually go to, search the Internet for recipes of veggies you don't usually eat or never tried, paint your nails, visualize self being in a nice place like a beach, mountain, field, or learn a new social skill). The possibilities are endless, but you have to put in the work. Actually write down this list and keep in nearby for easier access when you feel sad. Also, light cardio for 15mins at least can drastically improve your mood right away.

I love the idea of creating a list but think these things need to ve practiced prior to feeling sad. I used to be an addictions treatment counsellor and would do relapse prevention and acceptance therapy. The thing is that when youre relapsing (or sad) you cant just talk yourself out of it. In fact youll think of evdry reason that painting your nails is *kitten* stupid if youre really in your emotions (the painting your nails thing is an example every counsellor uses i think because it teaches mindfulness).
    Do positive activities before you get to where you are and then when yourr sad, acknowledge the sadness (you cant prevent sadness) and that you have the right to feel sad, and that it will pass. There's some great ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy videos out there). Basically the premise is to feel the *kitten* and live through it