Can drinking a gallon of water a day help lose weight or add water weight?

Options
Just curious because I have been doing everything right calorie wise but I gained weight.

Replies

• stylzemail
    stylzemail Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Too much carbs -try 8 ounces portions.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    stylzemail wrote: »
    Too much carbs -try 8 ounces portions.

What?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's really no benefit in forcing yourself to drink water. Drinking more than you need just forces you to run to the restroom more often. Of course, if you drink a lot of water it could kill you, but that would be more than a gallon a day. Water by itself won't cause you to gain weight because to gain water weight there has to be something in your body for the water to attach itself to or a reason your cells don't release it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this and how tight is your logging?

Perhaps read the stickies for beginners or if someone can post the excellent flow chart an MFP-er made up that would be very helpful.

Anyway I dont think a gallon of water will make any difference in the long term - might affect temporary water weight fluctuations, that's all.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    How it would affect you depends on your current electrolyte balance and distribution, osmotic fluid shift, renal function ... etc, etc ... add other variables here.

The effects of drinking that much water would vary person to person.
  • katattackme
    katattackme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :o lots of different answers
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just curious because I have been doing everything right calorie wise but I gained weight.

Have you been eating less calories than you've burned?

Water is not a magic weight loss potion.

Best wishes. It can be confusing at first. The massive weight loss industry makes its living on giving out bad advice that keeps people dieting.

I definitely recommend reading the Helpful Posts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Just eat what makes you satisfied within your calorie limit, and see a doctor if you have any health issues.
  • katattackme
    Options
    3 days now but I'm going to stop weighing myself everyday
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Yes, if natural weight fluctuations cause you stress definitely weigh less often. 3 days is nothing. If you continue having issues then work on your logging. Be sure you're using your food scale for all solids. Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids. Use accurate entries. Use the recipe builder. Hydration is good - as long as your urine is pale yellow you're good.
  • katattackme
    Options
    I was just sad I gained weight.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart%20a_zpsot9kdvnv.jpg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the number on the scale as nothing but a data point, a piece of information. Your total weight isn't just "fat", it's also water, muscles, bones, undigested food, all kinds of stuff you have no control over. It's not the only way to measure success.

Hang in there
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are completely normal. Depending on the day, I can gain anywhere from 3-8lbs just from food and water weight. Excess sodium can cause fluid retention as can increasing or starting a new exercise program. Completely normal, I weigh every day and use happy scale to record the trend.

Water does not help with weight loss.

And carbs do not cause fat gain. That's just silly talk.

With water, the best way to see if you're hydrated is to monitor your urine colour. Seriously. Aim for straw coloured. Anything darker than straw coloured indicates that you need to drink more water. If your urine is clear, back off. Over hydration can be dangerous as you end up diluting your electrolytes,

Don't go by arbitrary numbers. Listen to your body.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    :o lots of different answers

Well, no, not really.

Apart from one newbie poster who said something silly about protein and carbs - everyone else has said drinking lots of water isnt really a factor (unless it helps you eat less) in the long run.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

That sounds like a good plan. Some people like to weigh daily or even multiple times a day, but you need to keep in mind that daily measurements tell more about that day than they do long-term weight patterns. Some people like to weigh before and after exercise so they know how much water they need to replace. Doing that they will see large fluctuations, but over several weeks those fluctuations will trend in one direction or another. It is that trend that is actual body fat loss or gain.