How many reps of ab crunches??

Options
I am trying to work to get six pack and without going to the gym. What ab routines can anyone recommend? How many sets should I attempt per day?

Replies

• Scribbledsmooth
    Scribbledsmooth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, unfortunately. The only way to get abs is to reduce body fat over your entire body.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The best exercises for your abs are fork putdowns and table pushaways. You have to lose the fat to have a six pack, and losing fat happens by eating less calories than you burn. All the ab exercises in the world won't help until the fat is gone. Most guys won't see a six pack until they're somewhere around 10% bodyfat, which is very lean.

Here's a great read to help you toward your goals: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    levoir2314 wrote: »
    I am trying to work to get six pack and without going to the gym. What ab routines can anyone recommend? How many sets should I attempt per day?

Focusing on ab exercises isn't going to give you the results you are hoping for. A better option is a full body workout. You can do this without going to the gym. There are many body weight programs out there that incorporate increasing difficulty as you master the exercises. You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are the two that I know of, but I believe there are more out there.

Unfortunately, if you are looking to have a six pack with minimal physical exertion beyond crunches that's impossible. Going to the gym is a good investment for your goal, so give it some thought and some research. It's okay to start slow.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    None. No ab specific "routines" will result in a 6pack.

If you want to get a visible 6 pack, you need to: 1) reduce your body fat % to at least 10-12% by whatever means eorks best for you and 2) do HEAVY compound weight lifting - - mainly DL, SQT, BP & OHP - - and other compond lifts/exercises that stress your core - - like Farmers Walks, Rows, Pushups, etc.

I did this over a 5 month period and developed a 6pack for the 1st time in my life without ever doing a single ab specific workout, except for a few hanging leg/knee raises and absolutely NO (zero) situps or crunches.