Who else is enjoying the learning process?

Options
I've been logging now for 10 days and I can't believe how much I've learnt. It's fascinating what goes unnoticed day to day.
I'm 5'3", in my mid-30s, and weigh around 135-140 (I haven't owned a scale for years.) This is a good weight for me BMI-wise, but my concern rose over the fact that I seem to be gaining 1-2 pounds a year despite healthy eating. A year an a half ago, I did a Whole30 cleanse and elimimated a lot of sugar and starches from my diet, as well as taking a healthy break from alcohol. I have been eating mostly paleo ever since and couldn't figure out why my weight and energy levels were plateau-ing.
Like most newbies, I was over-optimistic in my weight loss progress and attempted at first to set my caloric goals at 2lbs per week and 1200 cals a day. One day of logging showed me that I could happily eat 2000 calories! After reading these super helpful forums, I readjusted the weight loss progress to a more sedate .5 lb a week and 1350 cals a day, more reasonable since I only have 10 or so lbs to lose. Still, it's taken me over a week to adjust to that guideline.
And I have logged EVERYTHING, from salad dressings to a few nuts to 2 oz of coconut water diluted with fizzy water, EVERYTHING. And here's the thing-- I thought I was eating so healthy but there's the maple syrup I put in my coffee. AND the drop of organic heavy cream. The half-piece of cake at work because of a teacher's birthday. The extra chicken thigh because I don't want to pack away leftovers. I couldn't believe how fast these little bites here and there add up.
While a bit restrictive, the 1350 cals forces me to get creative. Tonight, I craved smoked salmon pasta. I could imagine it with big handfuls of peppery arugula. Mmmmmm.... but there had already been that two-bite macaroon a fellow tutor gave me, and that cheese croissant a student bought me.... oh dear!
I told myself I could have that dish tomorrow, and instead made myself a spinach and arugula salad with a poached egg and small piece of leftover baked salmon, not smoked, and a small bowl of beef soup with veggies and onions because I craved something warming. This meal ended up being completely satisfying, and I even had a small glass of white wine.
Knowing where my calories are coming from allows me to make informed choices-- giving up sweetener in my coffee for another portion of protein at dinner, skipping the beer at a book launch to enjoy a square of chocolate. And if I really want both, well, then do that 30 min brisk walk in the cold or yoga in the living room. I don't have to deprive myself completely, but just not have everything I want everyday, which makes me appreciate good food more. Suddenly I noticed I'm satisfied, even satiated with less. Is this how the French manage to eat everything they want? This smaller portion size trick seems too good to be true. Not only that, but eating less means smaller grocery bills-- the whole salmon I baked resulted in 4 portions, not my usual 3, a lamb leg roast now could probably feed me for a week.
Anyway, I wrote a lot more than I meant to. It's definitely challenging keeping to the caloric limit each day, and some days I go a little over, but I'm enjoying the ingenuity and planning needed to eat well and would love to hear about other people's positive experiences as well!

Replies