Macro ratios for weight loss

Options
I've started using MFP with a macro ratio of 40:30:30 (protein/carbs/fat) but I'm finding it difficult to take in that much protein and have to work much harder not to overeat on carbs and fat. What ratio do you use? Can you recommend any good high protein foods? I'm thinking of adjusting my ratios to increase my carbs slightly but I don't want it to be an excuse to eat more junk food!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    poultry, fish, shellfish, lean cuts of beef and pork, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs and egg whites.

ETA: Also, carbs aren't nutritionally void junk...there are numerous sources of high quality, nutritionally dense carbohydrates. I eat 50-60% carbs most of the time...I eat a lot of lentils, legumes, potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables...whole grains like oats, rice, veg, fruit, etc...all nutritionally awesome carbs.

Further, macros really don't matter for weight loss...calories are what matters. Macros will matter more for fitness performance and to some extent, body composition as well as satiety...but they don't particularly matter for losing weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. For the average person trying for moderate levels of all three macros, the actual percentages are more relevant for trying to find a balance that satiates you, and that's usually a matter of personal preference.

What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight, what activity level did you put in, and what rate of loss did you select?

What goal did MFP provide you? Are you logging all the foods you eat as accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale?

Do you exercise? What sort? Are you eating back some of those calories?

I would start with calories and logging accurately, and if you feel you aren't full, look at the types of foods you're eating to see where you might make adjustments - add a little more protein, some people find carbs satiating, some people find fat satiating. Play around with it but again, for most people, those macro percentages are general guidelines and the calories are what will drive your weight loss.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate it. Focus on calories. Eat food, most of it nutritious. Move your body. Do something that makes you stronger.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Macro ratios don't really matter for weight loss. Hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals is what you should be focusing on.
  • roroinco
    roroinco Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My health coach set mine at 20/30/50 (protein/fat/carbs). I hope that helps.