Beer or Vodka?

Options
I love Miller Lite (96 calories per 12 oz) but it's a diet killer. Is it better to switch to vodka (65 calories per 1 oz) for the waistline even though it has 35% alcohol vs 4.2% for Miller Lite? At what point do you trade calories for liver function?

Replies

• patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just stop drinking. When you're dieting it's going to do more than just add calories to prevent fat loss. You'll be wasting your time unless it's very infrequent.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    also depends if you're just having one drink at home, say in the evening or with dinner, or if you're going out/having multiple drinks, if it's just the one, drink whatever you like
  • prdrivas
    prdrivas Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Neither, bourbon for me, in moderation of course. I know there's research that says alcohol kills fat loss, but I find I can do OK if I keep it to a couple of days a week.
  • patslitzker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's not junk science. Alcohol has effects on fat loss, you just chose to believe what reinforces what you want to do. Anyone is free to enjoy alcohol but they have to accept that it comes with slowed progress. You people are brainwashed into think the human body functions like a mathematical equation and that calories are the only thing that makes a difference. Educate yourself.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    Calories in calories out is actually junk science lady. See how far it gets you.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    I lost a few pounds when I first started dieting too. When you don't have such a large amount to lose you have to actually use your brain and think about what foods you're putting in your mouth. Anyways I don't care if you take my advice or believe it, it wasn't for you.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I lost a few pounds when I first started dieting too. When you don't have such a large amount to lose you have to actually use your brain and think about what foods you're putting in your mouth. Anyways I don't care if you take my advice or believe it, it wasn't for you.

Using your brain is understanding the laws of thermodynamics.
  • Aileenj77
    Aileenj77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard if u drink alcohol...u stop your body from burning FAT...so if you're trying to lose weight beware.... I wish this was not true.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Love my booze.... Another MFP posted this website and it's great.

www.getdrunknotfat.com Basically you can calculate the booze to calorie ratio to get the best bang for your buck.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    What you're saying actually violates the second law on thermodynamics. It's not just one law, there are two laws of thermodynamics. The first law describes the conservation of energy which is where most people tend to quote from and the second law describes the efficiency of energy which when applied to humans instead of machines is applicable to the chemical reactions the calories you consume have on the metabolism. So using the law of thermodynamics to back up your opinion actually makes you look pretty damn stupid.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    I love Miller Lite (96 calories per 12 oz) but it's a diet killer. Is it better to switch to vodka (65 calories per 1 oz) for the waistline even though it has 35% alcohol vs 4.2% for Miller Lite? At what point do you trade calories for liver function?

Vodka: 35% x 1 oz. = 0.35 oz alcohol
    Beer: 4.2% x 12oz = 0.504 oz alcohol

I wouldn't drink Miller Lite if you paid me (rather have real water, thanks), but I'm not seeing the tradeoff. The beer has more calories and more alcohol.

But the difference is minor, on both fronts, if you don't drink lots of either, often. Drink what you enjoy, within your calorie goal. Don't let alcohol regularly drive out your nutrition to hit calories, or let alcohol drive out water either. You'll be fine.

But maybe I drank too much craft beer while losing 60+ pounds, ruining both liver and brain, thus ability to do arithmetic? ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Aileenj77 wrote: »
    I heard if u drink alcohol...u stop your body from burning FAT...so if you're trying to lose weight beware.... I wish this was not true.

Good news, that's not true at all! You can still drink alcohol and lose weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What you're saying actually violates the second law on thermodynamics. It's not just one law, there are two laws of thermodynamics. The first law describes the conservation of energy which is where most people tend to quote from and the second law describes the efficiency of energy which when applied to humans instead of machines is applicable to the chemical reactions the calories you consume have on the metabolism. So using the law of thermodynamics to back up your opinion actually makes you look pretty damn stupid.

Maybe you could enlighten us all then, on how weight loss does work, since you don't think it results from keeping calories in less than calories out...