Difficulty Maintaining or Gaining and Lacking Protein

Options
Bones2Toned
Bones2Toned Posts: 73 Member
Hey guys!
I'm 22 years old and 100lbs soaking wet lol.
I've done my research and started this journey several times with many setbacks. Now I'm doing good and have been tracking my macros. I noticed that I tend to be lower on the protein side. Are there any shakes, powders, or meals you'd suggest to tackle this protein deficit?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ksmallw3 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    I'm 22 years old and 100lbs soaking wet lol.
    I've done my research and started this journey several times with many setbacks. Now I'm doing good and have been tracking my macros. I noticed that I tend to be lower on the protein side. Are there any shakes, powders, or meals you'd suggest to tackle this protein deficit?

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein-bars

Other than that: eggs, chicken, beef, greek yogurt, fish, anything that had a pulse basically.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    "Anything that had a pulse." Good way of looking at it. For some reason I only factor in protein at night, which is why I don't reach my goals. Think I'd start making protein shakes.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegan/vegetarian? If not eat more meat. Fish,shrimp,lean beef, lean pork loin (1.99$ at Costco). Also Greek yogurt, cheese. I sometimes use the optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein powder if I have extra calories because I like the taste. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

How low is low protein for you?
    And if you want to gain weight I suggest eating it a surplus and following a progressive lifting program such as stronglifts 5x5. Or ICF 5x5.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Thank you for your insight.
    No I used to be vegetarian, which is why I tend to forget meats. I aim for about 125-400 extra calories a day. My protein at average a day is lower than 15%. I just reviewed my weekly progress and noticed I hardly ate any meats or seafood. Nor have I incorporated protein shakes.

wmjkkib56maa.png
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    476 in a week? Jesus, I've been known to eat that in a day. Not necessary, but still...damn.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Exactly it's bad. So this upcoming week, I'll cook fish, shrimp, steak, and eat chicken with my salads. That should do because that's horrible.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can also get protein from dairy and plant sources (if you don't want to eat that much meat). I like cottage cheese, string cheese, Greek yogurt, lentils and beans. I also like quest protein bars and powders, but use them as supplements to "real food". My midmorning snack is usually a protein bar of some sort.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to build my meals around a protein, or at least find a protein I can add to something that is low. Having a salad and adding chicken is a good idea. I also prefer to keep protein shakes/bars as supplements to the food I'm eating. I don't enjoy having a meal most mornings, so a shake or bar works well, but I try to limit them.
  • ariannasimms
    ariannasimms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try apetamin, that's what I'm currently taking. It helps you gain fast. Read the reviews online I have seen nothing but positive reviews.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Try apetamin, that's what I'm currently taking. It helps you gain fast. Read the reviews online I have seen nothing but positive reviews.

Hi Arianna,
    I tried Apetamin several times. I do find it to be beneficial. However, if you aren't diligent without it, it is easy to plateau while once you stop using it. My goal now is to focus my energy on ensuring I'm eating enough to feel well and perform well. Then, I'll gain at the same time. If I can become persistent and successful at that, I may turn to Apetamin for additional help. Another thing is Apetamin has an effect of sleepiness when you first start taking it. I don't have much time to feel sluggish anymore than I do. Thank you so much for your help!

Do you take it as a guide or assistance ?
  • Bones2Toned
    Options

What helps me is to build my meals around a protein, or at least find a protein I can add to something that is low. Having a salad and adding chicken is a good idea. I also prefer to keep protein shakes/bars as supplements to the food I'm eating. I don't enjoy having a meal most mornings, so a shake or bar works well, but I try to limit them.

I definitely have to do that more instead of looking at it as an additive or side dish. My difficulty with protein bars and powders are finding ones that are not too sugary and have a decent taste.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    On days when,for whatever reason,I'm low on protein, I use MyProtein unflavoured whey powder and mix with whole milk.
  • ariannasimms
    ariannasimms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In reply to you , I use apetami as a guide. And yea I agree he sleepiness is something serious. I am having trouble focusing enough to type this as we speak. One thing I hate besides the drowsy side effect is that I have to eat over 2000 calories a day. I find myself forcing myself to eat all those calories.
  • jayBird131313mfp
    jayBird131313mfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In reply to you , I use apetami as a guide. And yea I agree he sleepiness is something serious. I am having trouble focusing enough to type this as we speak. One thing I hate besides the drowsy side effect is that I have to eat over 2000 calories a day. I find myself forcing myself to eat all those calories.

i eat ovet 3000 a day and i aim to lose weight! (aiming to but failing so far! ;D
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    Try to cut back on snacking, juice, soda, and other high sugary foods. Those tend to have more calories. Go for lean meats and vegetables rather than carb and fat dense foods.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    On days when,for whatever reason,I'm low on protein, I use MyProtein unflavoured whey powder and mix with whole milk.

Thank you! I will try that out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well, it's because Apetamin is an antihistamine, which is why there is a side effect of drowsiness. I would also recommend you read the below and possible eliminate apetamin. Being tired can make it more difficult to stay on track and being committed. And you don't have to eat all your calories, you definitely can drink some. I would recommend chocolate milk several times a day if you need easy calories. You can also incorporate full fat dairy and cheeses which make it muscle easier to get calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

On a side note, be careful with gaining too fast. Fast gain = all fat gains and often in places you don't like. If you search apetamin on this forum you will see the majority of women who have taken it, have also created follow up threads to complain about large amounts of fat growth in their stomach as opposed to where they want it.
  • Bones2Toned
    Options
    I forgot about that. My stomach fat was growing as well when I took it.