Sushi

Options
I've been really sticking to low carb high protein diet. But I'm really craving sushi. Rolls specifically. How bad is the rice once in a while?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Rice isn't bad. What are yo talking about? Make a decision whether you want to fit the calories into your deficit, or go over for the day. A decent amount of sushi, especially in roll form, is not that low calorie. There is nothing wrong with the rice...ever.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Rolls are high in carbs if you splurge. I can never stick to a roll. Lol

No food is bad eaten in moderation.
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had sushi once a month since I started counting calories. I make sure it fits into my calories and I avoid the ones that are covered in heavy sauces. I also skip the soy sauce because sodium. Yesterday we had a valentine roll, golden california roll, spicy yellowtail, and dynamite roll. I woke up a little lighter today and left the restaurant full.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Depends on how guilty you feel about deviating from your LCHF principles. There's nothing "bad" about rice at all. If it will cause you guilt or emotional pain to eat carbs, probably best to abstain; otherwise, it's not a problem in the least.

Rice was one of two major reasons I gave up LCHF when I tried it 20 years ago (the other reason being tortillas). I love both sushi and Mexican food, and I don't consider it sustainable to live the rest of my life without being able to eat two of my most favorite foods even in moderation.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chirashi dishes? They usually place the fish on top of a bowl of seasoned rice, so you can control the amount of rice you eat.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Have you tried asking your local place if they can do a cucumber wrap instead of rice? That's one way around it.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all good advice. I went with sashimi and played it safe.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am not on a low carb diet. I just eat at a calorie deficit, which is great as I can continue eating my favourite foods, and as effectively I never have to go off diet.
    I eat sushi on a weekly basis at least, in moderation. I love sushi.
    I eat chocolate daily, in moderation. I love chocolate.
    I've lost about 19kg in 14 months.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I often used sushi for my carb refeeds when running CKD. Something about sitting there and cramming 8-10 rolls into yourself in three hours made for one hell of a squat session the next day. ;)
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs won't make you gain weight. Eating over your calorie limit will. The carbs will likely cause a temporary gain in water weight since your body needs more water to break it down, but that will be gone in a day or two. If you eat sushi with soy sauce, you will gain water weight from it anyway. It won't break the bank, just be sure to skip any rolls that are friend or topped with mayo-based sauces. That means pretty much any of the rolls from their specialty menu other than the Rainbow roll.

I just end up getting sashimi and then I can have my craving and not have it be a cheat of any kind. I really like it for the fish though. Others prefer everything together which is fine, but you can't have as much.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I like vegetarian sushi, but the place I go to puts tempura bits in most of their recipes (and they use combos which are probably not common in authentic restaurants — I'm strictly kosher and there's one kosher sushi place near me). I could ask them to omit the tempura, but I love it and I'd rather know how much typically might go into a sushi roll so I could track it. Does anyone know? Like is there a normal 'standard' amount for an 8-piece roll that would give me a ballpark?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I often used sushi for my carb refeeds when running CKD. Something about sitting there and cramming 8-10 rolls into yourself in three hours made for one hell of a squat session the next day. ;)

I like the way you think my friend.
    I'm Japanese, which means rice has been and always will be a huge part of my life, especially sushi. This is why I don't do restrictive diets like LCHF, Keto, etc. They may make it easier for you to maintain a caloric deficit because of their focus on fats and protein, but what happens once you reach goal weight and enter maintenance? Are you going to continue with LCHF and eliminate sushi, a food that you seem to enjoy, from your diet forever?

IMO, it's much more sustainable to learn how to enjoy the foods you like in moderation now, because maintaining a healthy weight for the rest of your life (while enjoying the process) is all about moderation.

side note- were you ever on SBN? I feel like I recognize your screen name.