Wine and Dieting

Options
I've managed to limit myself to drinking 1-2 nights a week, on the weekend. I tend to go for red wines over any other drinks, and I vaguely remember a discussion about the antioxidants and other benefits that red wine has, is there any truth to claims of red wine actually being good for you in moderation? I'm not really concerned about it hindering my weight loss because I make sure to keep it under my calorie goal, just interested in hearing others input.

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There are studies that say a glass of red wine can be good for women's hearts.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20061129/old-world-red-wines-may-be-healthier

Basically, the drier the red wine (and the more tannins), the better. I personally find cab sauvs to be a little too dry for my taste, but I drink at least a glass of merlot or other red wine a night.
  • stylzemail
    stylzemail Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wine in moderation is ok and healthy, just don't drink the 100 proof, Absolute Vodka, like my grand dad - no O.J. (no straws ) if you give it too he then give it too He Raw. I learn if you drink "Absolute" straight, it burn.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Crystal meth is good in moderation too.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Dee_D33 wrote: »
    I've managed to limit myself to drinking 1-2 nights a week, on the weekend. I tend to go for red wines over any other drinks, and I vaguely remember a discussion about the antioxidants and other benefits that red wine has, is there any truth to claims of red wine actually being good for you in moderation? I'm not really concerned about it hindering my weight loss because I make sure to keep it under my calorie goal, just interested in hearing others input.

I enjoy 5 oz. red wine most evenings and am convinced that at the very least it won't do me any harm. I think the studies that show it's beneficial are encouraging, but the same benefits apply to a number of other non-alcoholic foods/drinks. If it fits into your calorie goals and you don't have a problem moderating, I say go for it :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Crystal meth is good in moderation too.

I've heard fantastic things about cocaine in moderation.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I didn't get fat by being good at moderation