Should I be lifting??

Options
If I have a lot to loose should I be lifting while I do cardio or should I wait to start lifting until I'm close to goal weight?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lift now to help retain your muscle mass as you lose weight and have a better body composition when you're done losing the weight.
  • TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with samanthaluangphixy. I had thought about waiting too. But upon research, decided I would start strength training now. One reason being that cardio burns calories while you're doing it. Strength training burns calories during and then continues to burn after. That right there had me sold!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Start lifting yesterday! :p
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have 100 or so more pounds to go and have lifted from the start. Start now! It will completely change your body and boost your confidence.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lift . now.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lifting will give you a tight body, toight like a tiger
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lift. While you're losing the weight.
    I agree with samanthaluangphixy. I had thought about waiting too. But upon research, decided I would start strength training now. One reason being that cardio burns calories while you're doing it. Strength training burns calories during and then continues to burn after. That right there had me sold!

How many calories does it burn after? 2? 2000?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

From everything I've read, actually it's the other way around. Plus cardio actually burns calories.

It's still good to lift. Or do bodyweight exercises, or yoga, or pilates, or calisthenics. You don't have to lift weights to maintain muscle.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lift. While you're losing the weight.

How many calories does it burn after? 2? 2000?

It burns 2 then 0
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

From everything I've read, actually it's the other way around. Plus cardio actually burns calories.

It's still good to lift. Or do bodyweight exercises, or yoga, or pilates, or calisthenics. You don't have to lift weights to maintain muscle.

Really? I've always been told that strength training by lifting heavy continues to burn calories afterwards. Whereas cardio burns plenty while doing it and then none once stopped.

I could be wrong though. I may have to do some more research.

Anyway to the op? Yes! Lifting is great!!!! It's empowering and is awesome for us
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I will totally start lifting then!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Really? I've always been told that strength training by lifting heavy continues to burn calories afterwards. Whereas cardio burns plenty while doing it and then none once stopped.

I could be wrong though. I may have to do some more research.

Anyway to the op? Yes! Lifting is great!!!! It's empowering and is awesome for us
    @Karen_can_do_this @TristaOnTrack
    Yes strength training burns calories during the training session (not many though) and then afterwards but that's a minor percentage of a small initial burn.

Cardio calorie burns vary from not a lot to massive burns depending on intensity and duration of your exercise. You also get a calorie burn afterwards depending on intensity, a smaller percentage than decent strength training but it's a smaller percentage of a potentially far bigger number.

All in all the afterburn effect (EPOC) is pretty much insignificant and should have no bearing on your exercise choice or eating level.

Yes to the OP - start strength training now to be the best you that you can be when you get to goal weight.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    @sijomial

Luckily I don't lift for the calorie burn. I lift for the awesomeness :smiley:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @sijomial

Luckily I don't lift for the calorie burn. I lift for the awesomeness :smiley:

This...I just...man, this is enough to bring a tear to the eye. Someone who gets it. Clearly doing it right. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

EPOC after steady state work is about 4-6% of net, after resistance training can be 6-9% of net.

9% of not much vs 6% of quite a lot, steady state still wins on pure calorie expenditure. But that's not the purpose of resistance training.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If I have a lot to loose should I be lifting while I do cardio or should I wait to start lifting until I'm close to goal weight?

It depends. If you're very obese, your lifting form is likely to be off, and that could cause injuries. In that case i'd start with cardio/walking for a while and develop your mobility.

If you have any orthopedic/medical issues, ask your doctor before lifting.

Whenever you're ready to lift, follow a proven program designed by a pro, not random exercises. If you need help with programs, tell us what equipment you have.

By the way, "lift heavy" is the popular mantra here, but good programs will have you starting with light weights while you master your form. :+1:
  • twokatlover
    twokatlover Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have Leslie Sansones Walk It Off In 30 Days and it alternates with cardio and strength. Will that be good for starting out with strength training? I am 62 years old and obese.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Definitely some kind of resistance training is in order. When my coach is training overweight/obese people he usually has them do more circuit type of training which provides for resistance training with a more significant cardiovascular component to maximize energy expenditure. If they're wanting more of a traditional weight room routine he usually has them work with moderate reps and weight with a lot of supersetting and short rests...again, to maximize energy expenditure.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    It depends. If you're very obese, your lifting form is likely to be off, and that could cause injuries.

otoh, one of the regulars in my friday club does all the things, and recently dexa scanned at 45% bodyfat.

granted, idk if he ever tried to learn solo. and he also has a couple years' practice by now. but aside from a little trouble getting his grip on the deadlift bar, it really doesn't seem like his size gets in his way. his form is extremely on point . . . and he's STRONG.