What Protein Shake Powder do you Recomend?

Options
I have been looking into getting a protein powder to start drinking before or after workouts. I been drinking the Atkins meal replacement shakes in the mornings for breakfast or as a snack in between meals. Any suggestions on powder? Powder will last longer then the premade shakes.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love Quest. My favs are salted caramel (sprinkle some sea salt on top) and cookies and cream. I make with a splash of skim milk, water and ice for about 120 cals each.
  • stylzemail
    stylzemail Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Whey
  • StormiLu
    StormiLu Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I love Quest. My favs are salted caramel (sprinkle some sea salt on top) and cookies and cream. I make with a splash of skim milk, water and ice for about 120 cals each.

I have seen them before. I'll look into the salted carmel one.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I really like Natures Bounty vitamin and protein chocolate flavor. It is really inexpensive too. It's about $15 through Amazon.
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like Gold Standard Whey protein - in either vanilla or chocolate. Nothing too crazy about it, but it's really versatile and you can always blend it with different combinations. Another plus about powder is that you can sneak it into some things. I like to mix powder into my yogurt, oatmeal, or even pancakes.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard whey
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    https://examine.com/supplements/whey-protein/

"Whey is a component of Milk Protein, with the other being Casein Protein. Whey may be healthier than other forms of protein. The benefits of whey are due to the protein itself, while casein may be a better muscle builder."
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

This was shared on another protein powder thread.. it's really helpful. It rates brands/powders by nutrients etc. Always good to know which ones are palatable too though, so lists like this one are great. :laugh:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Thoughts on Pure Protein brand? The taste etc?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

I get their bars sometimes as a go to snack after the gym. I really like the yogurt peanut butter one.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I get their bars sometimes as a go to snack after the gym. I really like the yogurt peanut butter one.

Hm, I've never seen that flavor on their bars...yea I like their bars, just never heard much on here about their powder. Thanks :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can beat Myprotein for quality, huge selection, taste and price.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I don't think you can beat Myprotein for quality, huge selection, taste and price.

Is that what you use @Christine_72 ?
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yes, except i have to sub with other protein powders when I'm waiting for my package to arrive. I live in Australia and my last order took nearly 3 weeks to get to me. This time i ordered an 11lb bag, so should last a few months. I use whey impact Isolate in choc/peanut butter flavour, and it tastes delicious which is very important to me.

• Hearts_2015
    Options

Yes, except i have to sub with other protein powders when I'm waiting for my package to arrive. I live in Australia and my last order took nearly 3 weeks to get to me. This time i ordered an 11lb bag, so should last a few months. I use whey impact Isolate in choc/peanut butter flavour, and it tastes delicious which is very important to me.
    @Christine_72
    Good to know... yes the taste of it is important :laugh: What do you mix yours with, water?

Well if I end up ordering from them I'll contact you first and get your referral link. :smiley:
    Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Christine_72
    Good to know... yes the taste of it is important :laugh: What do you mix yours with, water?

Well if I end up ordering from them I'll contact you first and get your referral link. :smiley:
    Thanks!

Ok no worries, happy to refer :smile:

I mix mine in milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, smoothies, ice cream and i make a yummy dessert called Protein sludge. I've never actually had protein powder mixed with just water, i always make a meal out of it.

• Chandra126
    Chandra126 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like Vega One, kinda a nutritional supplement too...50 % daily required vitamins and minerals, Omega3, pre and probiotics, fiber, greens, antioxidants etc.
  • ironsnowflake
    ironsnowflake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cytosport 100% Whey Protein Powder, 6-pounds

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=100225865-847&recipeName=680

I get Vanilla flavor from Costco for about $40 for a 6 lb bag. It's a great way to add a protein source if you are tracking your macros. I find it great to use in oatmeal, shakes, pancakes and with yogurt. If I mix it with just water, I prefer to use water a little cooler than room temperature as the cold water tends to leave it a bit clumpy.

It's a textural thing...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This one
    https://www.costco.ca/Kaizen-Naturals-Chocolate-Whey-Protein-Isolate.product.100305821.html

All but 10 cals from protein. Took a bit to get used to the taste of stevia, but now I'm fine with it.

I like to put some ice, water, a scoop and a banana in the blender.