TV dinners, yay or nay?

Options
I work 2 jobs and it makes it hard to cook dinner when i get off late and i need to get to bed at a decent time, i have had lean cusine and healthy choice, not bad tasting, small serving sizes, calories arent bad, but is it really good for u? Is it okay to have the 5 nights a week or maybe 2 nights on the nights i work super late?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I've eaten lean cuisine fairly regular for lunches with no ill effects and continued weight loss. If you have time on the weekend, you can also prep your own version of TV dinners, pop them in the fridge, pull them out and microwave them when you get home at night.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd probably add some extra veggies or a nice salad beause they aren't that filling. If you like them and they fit your goals then it's fine.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yep I like.them .. real easy dinner .. just watch the sodium if you need to

Good luck
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Fine. Easy, and actually a large part of many people's regular routine.
    Lean cuisine is healthier than a lot of other pre made foods.
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I asked a dietician I was seeing about this once and she said they were fine but to pair with some extra vegetables as often as possible.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I say yay if they fit in your calorie goals. I have a crazy busy life, so convenience foods have to be a part of it. I agree with pairing with extra veggies or fresh fruit.
  • jmormur
    jmormur Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love them for lunch when I'm working on a project. They're quick and easy and the weighing has already been done for me. I just add a salad and I'm full until dinner.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time to bring to work: convenient, portion-sized, has a lot of protein in many of them and some veggies too. Adding more veggies and some fruit is definitely a good idea.

They are a bit high in sodium, just as many frozen meals are. Be sure to drink plenty of water.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    They can be fine unless you're sensitive to sodium.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I like them and still eat them regularly even a few years into maintenance now :) I add frozen veggies and canned chicken to them and it still comes in under 500 calories.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    They can be fine unless you're sensitive to sodium.
    Yes, always read labels.
    It depends on what your sodium orders are too- is it only a daily total, or is it restricted per meal? And how low. If it's a daily total the one meal can be worked around by being very careful at other meals and picking one of the lower sodium ones.

I need to look, but I think that at least at one point that Safeway had a "for low sodium" in its "eating healthy" line. I'll look next time I'm there. I'm working on keeping mine under 2000, but still learning as I'm less than 3 weeks in. I'm not throwing out most of my old food, just eating less of the high stuff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    They're fine if you don't have issues with sodium. The body doesn't know if you ate a TV dinner or if it was prepared by a professional chef. It just takes food and digests it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nay for me...
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally. A bit much for lunch but they're usually less calories than what I would cook myself for dinner.

I don't bother with the diet range though, I've tried some and they were only slightly less calories then the 'normal' version but tasted horrible. This is in UK supermarkets, US may be different.