Why all the carb hate?

Options
TheGymGypsy
TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
Your body needs carbs to survive and give you energy. Now I'm not saying to live off bread and pasta or anything, but these no carb diets sound a little excessive to me! All this nonsense about "carbs not making you feel full" and stuff is a little exaggerated if you ask me. I've lost 50-60 pounds while eating bread every day, and pasta several times a week, and I have never been hungry once. I am a runner and I love/ need my carbs!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs to survive and give you energy. Now I'm not saying to live off bread and pasta or anything, but these no carb diets sound a little excessive to me! All this nonsense about "carbs not making you feel full" and stuff is a little exaggerated if you ask me. I've lost 50-60 pounds while eating bread every day, and pasta several times a week, and I have never been hungry once. I am a runner and I love/ need my carbs!

Carbohydrates are non essential as your body can manufacture glucose from non carbohydrate sources.

Having said that, I am also against carbophobia.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Because most people don't know the first thing about nutritional science and won't bother to learn. The truth is that the majority of individuals struggle to maintain maximal performance in the gym on a low-carb diet and as we all know, performance is key obviously for athletics but also for body recomposition since it's all about retaining muscle mass or optimising muscle hypertrophy.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad when there are topics such as "why am I nor losing weight?" and there are a plethora of "stop eating carbs" responses.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Something I've been curious about for a while. I'm wheat sensitive but still stupid enough to eat pasta etc. I just try to minimize the symptoms by chucking protein and veg at it but sometimes i don't bother doing that either. It's better if I avoid them altogether because I last longer through the day. Question is though...aren't certain vegetables a suitable source of carbohydrate anyway?
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Because most people don't really know the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates, they sum up all carbs as "bad" carbs. It's mostly ignorance or lack of information. On the flip side, lowering or eliminating most carbs have worked for many people, especially those with particular medical issues. And personally for me, as much as I love my brown rice and whole wheat breads, I've found that by cutting back on my carbs really helps with my sweet tooth, which is what got me overweight in the first place lol (Damn the perfect dinner combo of pizza and brownies!!!).

Anyhow, I'm not for or against them. To each their own. Whatever you feel works for you, do it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    aren't certain vegetables a suitable source of carbohydrate anyway?

Vegetables are a source of carbohydrate.
  • shafikes
    shafikes Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love carbs but all things in moderation, right?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Something I've been curious about for a while. I'm wheat sensitive but still stupid enough to eat pasta etc. I just try to minimize the symptoms by chucking protein and veg at it but sometimes i don't bother doing that either. It's better if I avoid them altogether because I last longer through the day. Question is though...aren't certain vegetables a suitable source of carbohydrate anyway?

Of course! I am gluten free due to medical issues and I get plenty of carbs. Not sure why I insist on 'testing' it again, just to have a bowl of pasta:grumble: but I think this run in the hospital ER did it for me.

If I don't I get enough carbs, I get tired and cranky. I do eat some GF bread and rice pasta and such, but it seems I don't want that stuff as much any more. So apples, grapes, brown rice and potato.......fresh stuff. Mmmmm I love it now. Thank goodness. It took long enough:laugh:

It is the my way or the highway attitude that kills me. This works for ME.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    DIE CARBS........DIE :laugh:
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've found that by cutting back on my carbs really helps with my sweet tooth, which is what got me overweight in the first place lol (Damn the perfect dinner combo of pizza and brownies!!!).
    That's a high fat meal. The worst fats too.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I agree that carbs are needed, but I just jumpstarted my weightloss again by going Keto, or at least close to that. I try to consume under 50grams a day of carbs. Lost a lb as of today. I don't even crave carbs all that much, although I would love some damn chocolate, but that the PMS talking. lol
  • Qskim
    Options
    Lol, I knew they were but in place of bread etc they are acceptable as a sole source of carbohydrate (apart from protein). Blond moment and it's 2am. So therefore, low carbers don't eat these vegetables either? I know people who have been on Atkins and the biggest thing that sh7ts me with it is their fear of certain vegetables.

But then again, there is insulin resistance (ok maybe not quite correct ...2am). So in this context, carbing down would be appropriate? I think it gets offered up as a solution because there are alot of people running ( or couching) around with it and arent aware that this can help.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Another factor is the whole glycemic index thing. It is mostly bull**** and is not even seriously considered in the professional community for diabetics, and glycemic load (GL) is now favoured. Yet, we still have people in the mainstream media who claim that you will lose weight more effectively by eating the same amount of carbs as long as they're low-GI.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't hate carbs. I do eat 2 slices of wheat bread a day. But other than that I don't eat pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. I prefer to get my carbs from fresh fruit and veggies, so I still get carbs they are just from a different source. I feel so much better without all the extra processed carbs in my system. I also have a really hard time losing weight eating a lot of processed carbs and seeing how good I feel without them now I don't miss them.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Carbs are saccharides (sugars). Eat sugar and you'll die. Everyone on MFP knows that. Plus I've heard some people find dog breath really attractive.
  • Qskim
    Options
    Another factor is the whole glycemic index thing. It is mostly bull**** and is not even seriously considered in the professional community for diabetics, and glycemic load (GL) is now favoured. Yet, we still have people in the mainstream media who claim that you will lose weight more effectively by eating the same amount of carbs as long as they're low-GI.

yes, carrots are a good example. Some people avoid them because they are considered High GI for a vegetable but they are great if you look at their GL.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've found that by cutting back on my carbs really helps with my sweet tooth, which is what got me overweight in the first place lol (Damn the perfect dinner combo of pizza and brownies!!!).

Yes... yes it is. Fats obviously had a lot to do with it, too. However, I doubt fats contributed to my ridiculous obsession and addiction to sweets. Besides that, I'd rather cut my carbs to lose weight than cut my fats, personally.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad when there are topics such as "why am I nor losing weight?" and there are a plethora of "stop eating carbs" responses.

Same.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    When you stop eating carbs (or significantly lower your carbs at least), your body releases it's glycogen stores, which causes an instant drop in water weight. The problem is that people mistake this for fat loss. Then they come on here and say "I lost 10 pounds in a week by switching to low-carb!" And boom, all of a sudden everyone thinks low carb is the weight loss secret they've been looking for. Too bad those 10 pounds will come right back once they start eating normally again.

It's true that fats and protein are more essential to the body than carbs are, but there's nothing wrong with eating carbs as part of a balanced diet :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Pizza is a vegetable, dude. USDA knows what it's talking about. :wink:

Seriously, care to explain how you know pizza and brownies are "the worst fats" meal?