True or false?

Options
Is it true that if I do the same exercise routine everyday( 15 mins elliptical x3 times) I will stop burning calories as my body will adapt to it?
They said this on another thread and I really want your opinions as I am an ignorant when it comes to fitness
Thanks

Replies

• Karie2017
    Karie2017 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You'll still burn calories but your body will get use to it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    I will stop burning calories as my body will adapt to it?

It's false. What you should find is that it gets easier, allowing you to push yourself harder.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You will not stop burning calories. You will always burn more calories doing cardio work whether it's walking slowly or running a marathon than if you're sitting still.

Your body will get used to it. Your body adapts and you are able to now do more of that sort of work.

You will burn fewer calories per workout when you lose weight because you are not moving as much mass. A 200 lb man burns more calories walking than a 150 pound man, for instance.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Also as your body become more efficient at a certain movement it has to expend less energy, so you will end up burning slightly less calories because of that and because of losing weight like kenyonhaff said. As long as you're working hard the difference probably won't be too noticeable though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can't produce power without burning calories. That would be like an old car not using fuel because it's used to being driven!

You will adapt by getting fitter. You can use that fitness to push harder/longer/faster and burn more calories which can compensate for carrying less weight around.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you all guys :) !
    Im so relieved because I found this routine very good for maintaining and really do not wish to change it !
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Completely false. Just like how I drive to work everyday but my car never got used to it and stopped burning gas.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Completely false. Just like how I drive to work everyday but my car never got used to it and stopped burning gas.

Awesome ! Thanks
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Complete twaddle