what's the effect of weight loss on tattoos?

Options
Hey everyone,

I want to get a quote tattooed on my pelvic bone/ underneath my stomach area so it's basically below where you would tie your pants.

My goal is to lose 100 pounds and I want to know whether the tattoo will be altered (stretch, fade,become wrinkly. etc) after I lose the weight?

I feel like it shouldn't matter because I don't have much fat on my pelvic bone?

Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I want to get a quote tattooed on my pelvic bone/ underneath my stomach area so it's basically below where you would tie your pants.

My goal is to lose 100 pounds and I want to know whether the tattoo will be altered (stretch, fade,become wrinkly. etc) after I lose the weight?

I feel like it shouldn't matter because I don't have much fat on my pelvic bone?

Thanks for the advice!

It is possible.

It is also possible if you ever get pregnant.

ETA: It also depends on the size of the tattoo and the quality of the work.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought: If you are concerned about the tattoo becoming altered due to weight loss... use the tattoo as a motivation to lose weight BEFORE you get the tat... For some people, having a goal or reward that is obtainable at the end (or at set milestones) throughout the weight loss process serves as a motivator in sticking with a new food/exercise plan.
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have one on my hip, its probably 3x5 in..I got it when I was around 185lbs, even after I got up to 245 and back down to my current weight (187), it still looks the same as when I first got it. That being said, everyone is different and your body may react in a different way.

Like meltedsno said, you can use that as motivation. I've always wanted a tattoo on my ribs, but I want to be able to show it off so I'm using that as my motivation. (It also gives me time to save some cash so I can find a really good artist)

Also, all tattoos will fade in time..especially tattoos that are in "high traffic" areas, if you will, which if its on your pelvic bone it would be because your clothes will constantly be rubbing against it. But like I said, mine's on my hip and it has only faded a tad.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Tattoos fade with time. The more regenerative an area is the quicker it will fade. Stretching and shrinking of skin due to weight gain or loss will also have an effect. Shrinking generally will make it smaller. I have a tat on my back that I got about 30 years ago, and you can hardly tell what it is. I'm thinking about getting it covered.
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    While I wouldn't get a tattoo myself, in my opinion there are better ways to remind yourself of good things, I do agree with meltedsno. It makes sense to do it after your weight. 100 pounds is quite a lot to lose and you can use every reward you can get, and I imagine that there may indeed be some stretching with that amount. I mean, my goal is losing abut 60 lbs and being about 60% on that goal I already think I've shrunk quite a lot. So, if you want a tattoo, do it afterwards, just in case.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have one on my hip that I got in 1995. After gaining and losing 90 lbs, it looks okay. Not perfect, but nothing a $90 touch up couldn't fix.