Frustrated and feeling defeated

Options
Good morning everyone! I've never posted in the MFP community before but am hoping someone has some advice. Over the last year and a half, I've gained about 20 pounds. I realized that's not as bad as it could be. But, it's enough to make 90% of my clothes too tight. I've made meal plans, I work out 4-5 times a week and I have tried so hard to change my eating habits. At this point, it seems like I'm gaining weight and my clothes are only getting tighter. I generally don't have a defeatist attiryude, but I'm getting so frustrated. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Replies

• nikibrockman
    nikibrockman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way. I too gain about 20 lbs over the last year. And 90% of my clothes don't fit. After starting my healthy life choices (don't want to call it a diet) 4 weeks ago I lost 5.5 lbs in 2.5 weeks. Well this last week and half I have gained 3.5 lbs back. I feel so defeated. I've decided to give my self the day and eat and drink what I would like and start new on Monday. I think we have to look at it in a way of its ok to have a bad day but to just get back on the wagon then next day. Giving up is not going to fix the original problem. Not sure if this was helpful but maybe know your not alone helps.
  • txej88
    txej88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That actually helps a lot. I'm in the same boat as far as losing and then gaining back. It's a constant back and forth. I think you're right, that perseverance is key. I do great with food choices during the week and then fall apart on the weekends.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    txej88 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone! I've never posted in the MFP community before but am hoping someone has some advice. Over the last year and a half, I've gained about 20 pounds. I realized that's not as bad as it could be. But, it's enough to make 90% of my clothes too tight. I've made meal plans, I work out 4-5 times a week and I have tried so hard to change my eating habits. At this point, it seems like I'm gaining weight and my clothes are only getting tighter. I generally don't have a defeatist attiryude, but I'm getting so frustrated. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

What changes have you made? Are you accurately tracking your intake by weighing your food (yes, that's a tool a lot of us who have lost weight use)? Your intake has to be less than what your burn or you won't lose. Easy concept. Read the advice forums on MFP about CI<CO, buy yourself a food scale, and keep on with your exercise. You will see results.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh all your food then log it in mfp. Do this for 1 week without changing what you eat. Then enter your stats into mfp to determine your calorie needs to lose 0.5 lb per week. Now that you know exactly how much youre eating, adjust your portions so you can stay within the recommended calorie goal. By this time next year you will have lost the 20 lbs, prob sooner.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it is also important to say the following, because it helped me a great deal. What the above posters said about getting your calorie limit, CICO, etc. is certainly vital, but I think this is, too.

You gotta want it. You have to think about why you want to change your lifestyle (and don't kid yourself; it will be a different lifestyle if you want permanent change). You may need more of a why then "90% of my clothes don't fit". That may be "big" enough for you, but it might not. Are you trying to get healthy? Need to be fit for your spouse, your kids, yourself? Is it something YOU really need to do or is it a reason thatyou're not really invested in? Take some time and think about it because you will really need to have a commitment to the process and, in all honesty, it is a commitment. To lose and then maintain - it might take months, depending on what you need to do. You gotta have that drive to weather the hardship, disappointment, and frustration that we all feel from time to time.

Best of luck to you.