Cheat day.... yay or nay???????

Options
1235»

Replies

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm developing a lifestyle here so cheat days don't play into my plan. If I have a day (Christmas, Valentines, Super Bowl, etc.) I over do it a bit - it's part of life and I'm back on track the next day.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cheat is such a negative word and has no place when changing your way of eating. Why not have a 'treat' day for staying on track? Make it non-food related... for me it's getting a pedicure (my feet need that after a week of walking), or having a glass of wine on a Saturday with friends... change the focus from food.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    Why do you need a cheat day?? Eat what you desire everyday within your calories

because i can't have high carbs, and if i want 5 oreos, that will never fit into my macros for the day. i have to give myself one day every now and then when i don't count carbs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    Why do you need a cheat day?? Eat what you desire everyday within your calories

because i can't have high carbs, and if i want 5 oreos, that will never fit into my macros for the day. i have to give myself one day every now and then when i don't count carbs.

But you have a special medical requirement to eat that way, and would be eating that way (I assume) for the rest of your life. I believe this question was for OP who appears to not have special medical food needs and is struggling with idea of having to eliminate certain foods, already looking for an outlet not even a week in. Banning foods or having harsh food rules, unless medically warranted, tends to backfire for some and create a stressful dieting environment.

You also appear to be thriving on such an approach, but it appears she isn't. There is no single rule of what strategy any person uses to lose weight as long as it's the easiest strategy for them. She either needs to knuckle it for a few weeks on her chosen approach to see if it fits her, or try something else to see if it's easier.

This isn't an attack on your chosen approach. Don't feel like you need to defend it. Afterall, if it works for you it's nobody else's business to tell you otherwise. These are replies to someone who asked for help because they aren't feeling comfortable dieting this way, and was offered an alternative way to try. It's all about the mindset and sustainability in the end.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So i am on day 6 and i am doing well with counting calories. When i started this journey i said i would have a cheat day and eat what i want as long as i dont over eat and have a small portion. Now im thinking maybe thats a bad idea and its too soon to do that since im still struggling with adjusting to my new eating habbits, getting upset trying to plan meals and count calories, and still feeling hungry after i eat. So maybe instead of a cheat day maybe a cheat meal or snack? I even came up with a name, so good sunday, cause what ever i have to eat or drink is going to be soooo good lol. Thoughts on this please.
    Thank you!

Actually the "eat up to normal" days are really important for keeping your hormones stable. I don't like calling them cheat days because you really should eat normal one day a week. The deficit isn't "normal" yet we tend to act like they are normal. No, deficits are corrective action to fix a health problem, like medicine. You need a break from the medicine.

Instead of going totally off the reservation with the one day a week to eat normal, why not eat like the other days but just add in some fun things that are a little higher calorie and fun, like nuts and cheese and dried fruit on a salad, or butter on toast, or one extra piece of toast, or just one cookie. Make it fun and sustainable. That's how you win at the lifestyle even when you reach your goal.