How to log home cooked meals?

Options
The_Movie_Chair
The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Logging home cooked food is so confusing if it's not a piece of meat and some veggies. I bought a digital scale and I measure and weigh my snacks and some food, but how do I measure home cooked sauces, soups, and stews?

I made black bean chili today and protein soup for lunch for the coming week. When I try to find it in the food diary that's when it gets complicated. The numbers in the database are all over the place. It's confusing.

Do I use the one with the highest calories or the lowest or perhaps one in the middle?
The sodium is all over the place as well. (I use low sodium broth or make my own broth without salt).

Should I weigh my soup or measure it with cups and estimate the rest?

What about homemade gravy and sauces?

I understand that I have to log everything faithfully but how?

Am I overthinking it and should just pick a number?

Replies

• omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Log into a recipe accounting all the ingredients. Then as you eat cut the servings according
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just calculate each individual item as it gets added. Recipes are pretty straightforward. If you like more of one thing then adjust accordingly. Like on the spaghetti squash recipe I did, I added extra spinach cause YUM. I calculated entire total after that (1236 cal) then divided by 6 servings.. (206). It turned out to be more like 7 but eh.. so I added more calories to what I actually ate. No big deal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As others have mentioned, use the recipe builder. I use it for every home cooked meal or sauce/soup and have found it invaluable.
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a recipe builder. I will search for it. Thank you