Women weight lifters

Options

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I curse anytime I'm over 5 reps at least on main lifts.

I have an aversion to sets of 5 reps. The first week of every 531 cycle is my least favorite. Every other number I am fine with but I hate 5.

5 is fine. 5 is start of moving into a power phase. 3 is better and singles are best.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Singles are best!!

I just finished up a really fun strength block where I worked up to a single on squat at RPE 8 every squat day, 3x per week, then shaved off a percentage of that daily max for whatever working sets were planned for the day. I had so much fun. Now it's all over :(
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Most of the barbell lifts I keep in the 1-5 rep range. For isolation lifts I keep it in the 6-15 rep range, just depends on how I feel.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm doing a bit of both. But I prefer high weight, low reps. But I'm working with a trainer right now, and when she teaches me a new move, we do high reps, low weight to get form down. Once I'm done with my trainer, 5 more sessions, I'm going to do either Strong Lifts or Strong Curves.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I tend to like the lower rep work. 3-5 reps is my fave. I do vary in my rep ranges though depending on how my workout is laid out for the month.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i do sl 5x5 so low reps and high weight. but last week the olympic bar in the gym was broken and i had to use dumbells. i did 5x10s goblet squats with the 50lb dumbbell (the highest available) and everything else 5x10's increasing weights each set. it was fun for a day. i definitely felt it after too.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I do both every workout. Lower reps on the big 4 lifts (although some days I end up in the 10-12 range if I'm doing AMRAPs) but usually around 1-5.
    Then I like to do my accessory work in the 10-25 range, with the occasional drop sets that might be like 40-60 reps or something.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Well I feel dumb. I always thought low reps was 8-10 so I've been keeping it at that. Now that I've read this post I'm going to up my weights and switch to 5 reps.

Thank you so much for this thread!
  • misha1505
    misha1505 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lovely people I am looking to start a weight lifting programe however I feel very manly walking into my weight section in the gym..Any tips to help me not feel so silly?

All you guys are great by the way :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any lift with a barbell is heavy and I keep it in the 3-6 rep range.

I usually keep isolation lifts lighter and in the 8-15 rep range.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    misha1505 wrote: »
    Lovely people I am looking to start a weight lifting programe however I feel very manly walking into my weight section in the gym..Any tips to help me not feel so silly?

All you guys are great by the way :)

Why do you feel manly? I can deadlift almost 300 lbs and I feel very feminine when I walk into the weight room.
  • misha1505
    Options
    As it's all men in the gym and I feel like that's really extreme for beginners.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I do 5-8 max.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I curse anytime I'm over 5 reps at least on main lifts.

I did 8's today for squat and I was so pisssed off the whole time. @SideSteel I hope there is a point to this.
    8's are good. I have a lot of clients who are pretty fit repping in this range.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bbell1985
    Options
    As it's all men in the gym and I feel like that's really extreme for beginners.

what's extreme?
  • CaffeineAngel
    CaffeineAngel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights with increasing reps by one a week (All Pro's).

I lost a lot of muscle mass two years ago through severe crash dieting but after three months on my current routine getting a lot stronger and feeling great (eating on average 800ish cals/ day and doing too much cardio is not the way to get healthy lol. Learned that the hard way).
  • misha1505
    Options
    The regime I am on

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The regime I am on

If your regime includes squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, and the like...it's not extreme.

It's a routine that includes compound movements which give you more bang for your buck as compared to isolation movements such as bicep curls. You work more muscles with the movements, which in turn develops strength.

If you are a beginner, sure...ease into it. Start light, work on learning the movements with proper form before adding on weight.

Your BF is a trainer right? Is he a good trainer? Then he can teach you how to do the movements and that might make you feel more comfortable.
  • misha1505
    Options
    The regime I am on

If your regime includes squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, and the like...it's not extreme.

It's a routine that includes compound movements which give you more bang for your buck as compared to isolation movements such as bicep curls. You work more muscles with the movements, which in turn develops strength.

If you are a beginner, sure...ease into it. Start light, work on learning the movements with proper form before adding on weight.

Your BF is a trainer right? Is he a good trainer? Then he can teach you how to do the movements and that might make you feel more comfortable.

Yeah he is and has showed me what to do it's getting easier with practise and the weights are going up faster than I thought. In my gym there are not a lot of women in the weights section it's mainly men
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    Do you tend to like more reps lower weight or more weight and less reps? I like more weight because I feel it makes me feel stronger.

i like them both; i started with stronglifts and spent another year doing 3x5 after that, then wendler 5/3/1 which i'm still on. so i guess heavy is what i do for my serious stuff.

the downside of 'heavy' for me is that i can feel like i'm pushing the upper edge of good form. that might not be the reality - i have a trainer who's pretty vigilant and i also haven't had any injuries that have seemed form-related for quite some time. but heavy work feels different, so i do a lot of sessions and sets where afterwards i have this half-guilty feeling that i just got away with something i maybe shouldn't have gotten away with.

so as a balance to that, i enjoy doing boring-but-big sets with 50 to 70% of the same weight, because it's nice when the weight is light enough that know there's nothing wrong with my form.