Motivation

I often can't keep to a diet and have that "oh go on then I'll binge" attitude, anyone know any tricks to make yourself stick to a diet? I seriously lack self control when it comes to food :#

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    This is the Maintenance boards. If you read the Motivation boards, or post there, you'll find a lot to help you. Read the stickies at the top too. Everyone loses their motivation in this lifelong process of leaning how to eat only the amount your body needs. Determination is key, as we all get motivational issues like you've posted.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Motivation is fleeting, but it's not what you need. I'm not motivated to go to work tomorrow but I'm going to do it anyway.

For one thing, you might benefit from experimenting more with food. Find things that fill you up under your calorie budget, and your less likely to binge. Include some yummy treats.

Exercise buys you more calories, keeps you away from temptation, is healthy, and can be great fun. You can have a mini binge after a long day on a hiking trail.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    It takes discipline. You have to be willing to forego short term pleasure for long term benefit. You need to have the discipline to stay within your caloric goals while finding ways to insert those pleasures that keep you satisfied. For example I just ate a piece of chocolate. It was a very high quality piece of dark chocolate. Total calories 67. I enjoyed that piece of chocolate. Not if I lack discipline I'll have three or four more pieces and go over my allowance for today.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    When you feel the urge to go off track, try to fit into a pair of jeans that you really like and would like to wear again, weigh yourself, or look at your starting pics (if you took them).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Motivation comes from the desire to achieve a goal. This is why maintaining weight is harder than losing weight. Losing weight has a goal built into it, though some people don't place as big of a priority on achieving that goal as they might. But often it is associated with a more important goal like being able to do things with the kids, or reducing the risk of a heart attack. You have to look elsewhere for a goal when maintaining weight. Fitness goals are a good place to look. Even if it is as simple as shaving a minute off your time to climb a local hill, you're not going to sabotage your efforts by overeating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Motivation comes from the desire to achieve a goal. This is why maintaining weight is harder than losing weight. Losing weight has a goal built into it, though some people don't place as big of a priority on achieving that goal as they might. But often it is associated with a more important goal like being able to do things with the kids, or reducing the risk of a heart attack. You have to look elsewhere for a goal when maintaining weight. Fitness goals are a good place to look. Even if it is as simple as shaving a minute off your time to climb a local hill, you're not going to sabotage your efforts by overeating.

My motivation for maintenance is similar to weight loss, I don't want to go back to that place where I started. I love being able to move and have less pain. I want to keep all the progress I've made and make more. If I don't maintain, I can't do that.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    For many of us, there comes a moment when we are simply determined to do whatever it takes to reach our goals. It sounds like you're just not ready. That's ok, when it's time, it's time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't go on a diet. Eat food you like, get enough of everything, but not too much of anything.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

My motivation for maintenance is similar to weight loss, I don't want to go back to that place where I started. I love being able to move and have less pain. I want to keep all the progress I've made and make more. If I don't maintain, I can't do that.

That's great if that's what works for you. I don't find that it works long-term for me. I don't give much thought to how miserable I felt when I was overweight anymore. Sure, if I think about it, I can still remember being out of breath climbing stairs. I can remember going to bed with Tums in my mouth because of acid reflux. I can remember how silly I looked wearing a cycling jersey. But I don't think about those things often because the reminders aren't their. It takes a lot of stairs to get me out of breath. Acid reflux just doesn't happen. And my cycling jersey's are two sizes smaller and still a little loose. It is hard to be motivated by something that you don't think about.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Me too im getting that attitude. It all started to me when my physical activity event i practice in how many long months ended this month of january i loss control and motivation because the sport i like the most and im dedicated to it is already finish and i can play it again for counting long months