Diverticulitis

Options
Just got out of the ER diagnosed with diverticulitis. Not sure what to eat, they said bland diet and follow up with my doctor. But until I see her I'm not sure what to stick with, I'm finding conflicting information everywhere. Anyone else suffer with this?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    All I know is don't eat popcorn
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I used a process of elimination to pinpoint potatoes in my case, causing me the most problems. I suspect reactions are highly individual.

I have symptom free diverticulosis, and as far as I know, have not suffered an attack.

I noticed the web MD advice is to start with a full liquid diet, gradually add easily digestible low fiber foods and once the attack subsides, gradually introduce a high fiber, well hydrated diet.

If a particular food gives you problems, eliminate it.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything with seeds (strawberries, raspberries and the like)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low fiber diet. And while it's flaring, don't eat a lot of protein, since it is harder to breakdown and digest.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My sister has Crohns disease, misdiagnosed as diverticulitis in the early stages. She was told to eat the "twinkie" diet - basically, low on fibre, no nuts, no seeds, no salads, white bread only, pretty much avoid anything that would cause your gut to have to really work to digest anything. As time went on, and she experimented with various foods, it turns out she CAN eat some of these foods, but only if she is not in a flare up, and only if she eats them occasionally. Funny, the worst thing for her is raspberries - I guess its the little seeds that can get stuck in a fold of the intestine and somehow "burrows" in and cant be expelled by the gut.