Pico De Gallo (Texas Best)

Options
Superdave24
Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
This is how I like to make it:

6 Roma Tomatoes (Medium)
1 Red Onion (med to large)
Cilantro (1 bunch)
2 Serrano peppers (1 seeded the other not seeded)
Kosher salt
Lime juice (couple dashes) or Lemon juice if you don't have any. Add slowly.

Dice up the tomatoes first and sprinkle with the kosher salt. This is a very important step because while your chopping up the onion and peppers the flavor of the tomatoes are being woken up by the salt.
Dice up the onions and Serrano. I personally throw the seeds of the first Serrano in and not the second. Set the seeds aside from the second Serrano in case you want to make it hotter after you get done. Finely chop up Cilantro......cut the leaves with the stems just above the main part of the stems that have no leaves. You'll see what I mean. Remember, the stems hold most of the flavor to cilantro. Couple dashes of lemon juice and wallah!!! Throw it in the refrigerator and let it set for a couple hours if you have the time, if not just dive into it.
To add a little twist you can always had some Papaya or even Avocado to the mix.

Again, please let me know how you like this or if you have questions please feel free to send me a message. Enjoy.

Replies

• LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I'm pulling loads of hot peppers from the garden already so I'll try this out with dinner tonight.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Very close to how I make it except I use lime juice and add garlic. I love me some pico!
  • Superdave24
    Options
    Oops.....typo. I meant Lime juice, thanks for the catch. I have used lemon before because I didn't have any limes. Its still turns out wonderful.
  • agtapia09
    agtapia09 Posts: 94
    Options
    Love making this. Especially adding the avocado twist
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    We ate this with chicken and zucchini chips last night. It was delicious!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Keeping this one, thanks for sharing!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Make this all the time, tho I prefer more heat and add fruit. Usually mango, but pineapple or strawberries are yummy also. Serve with chicken and cheese over a whole grain tortilla. Yummy!
  • ironjenn
    ironjenn Posts: 25
    Options
    My fav!
  • Superdave24
    Options
    I'm Glad everyone is enjoying.
  • notsofatroxy55
    notsofatroxy55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make this salsa the same way except if I don't have fresh tomatoes I use a can of tomatoes and it comes out really good, and I also use my food processer to chop everything up so it is more salsa-y, instead of Pico-y. haha. I use lemon juice mostly too, since that's what I usually have on hand. And after I make the salsa I save some in the food processor and add an avocado and WHALA yummy guacamole.