MFP's thoughts on Soylent

Options
13»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    My opinion: Nasty - even if it isn't people. Boring - even if it should happen to not be nasty. But I love food and like to cook.

More objectively: "Boring" is subjective. It can be fun to do something crazy/different for a while. If you are comfortable drinking this and don't miss solid food, it'll work for you. You'll still be paying for the powder (and additional fruit and vegs) though. Losing weight means eating less, and eating less means buying less food. Consider if your standards for "food" and "cooking" are unrealistic. Are you buying all organic, prepackaged, name brand, ultra high protein, low fat, gluten free, low carb, enriched etc? Are you preparing gourmet meals every night?

Oh, heavens, I couldn't afford to eat like that. The biggest thing I cannot afford is meat and fruits and veggies (other than turnip, carrots, and potatoes for most meals). Soylent works out to be cheaper than buying food where I live.

There are plenty of cheap alternatives; eggs, chicken/pork/ground beef (especially in bulk), rice, frozen veggies/fruits or in season veggies/fruits, pasta, etc...

Eggs are $6.36/dozen, chicken on sale is typically $5.99/lb, ground beef is $4.99/lb, frozen veggies are typically $3/serving size, rice is cheap and so is bread and pasta but I don't get all the nutrition I need eating such a limited nutrition diet.
    Eating like that costs me about $8-10 dollars a day to not quite make all my daily requirements requiring a multivitamin on top of it. Soylent is $5.16 a day.

My doctor knows this and is why he suggested Soylent or any other brand of full meal replacement, or making my own.

Where??

Frozen veggies, in the convenience steam in bag are .99 for 3 servings
    Tyson frozen precooked whole chicken breasts are $6 for a 3 pound bag.

And last time I bought eggs a dozen was Less than $2

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I only came to say that my boyfriend gets REALLY bad stomach symptoms when drinking soylent or eating the bars. Same with joylent.

I don't know why, but that's something to consider.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    My opinion: Nasty - even if it isn't people. Boring - even if it should happen to not be nasty. But I love food and like to cook.

More objectively: "Boring" is subjective. It can be fun to do something crazy/different for a while. If you are comfortable drinking this and don't miss solid food, it'll work for you. You'll still be paying for the powder (and additional fruit and vegs) though. Losing weight means eating less, and eating less means buying less food. Consider if your standards for "food" and "cooking" are unrealistic. Are you buying all organic, prepackaged, name brand, ultra high protein, low fat, gluten free, low carb, enriched etc? Are you preparing gourmet meals every night?

Oh, heavens, I couldn't afford to eat like that. The biggest thing I cannot afford is meat and fruits and veggies (other than turnip, carrots, and potatoes for most meals). Soylent works out to be cheaper than buying food where I live.

There are plenty of cheap alternatives; eggs, chicken/pork/ground beef (especially in bulk), rice, frozen veggies/fruits or in season veggies/fruits, pasta, etc...

Eggs are $6.36/dozen, chicken on sale is typically $5.99/lb, ground beef is $4.99/lb, frozen veggies are typically $3/serving size, rice is cheap and so is bread and pasta but I don't get all the nutrition I need eating such a limited nutrition diet.
    Eating like that costs me about $8-10 dollars a day to not quite make all my daily requirements requiring a multivitamin on top of it. Soylent is $5.16 a day.

My doctor knows this and is why he suggested Soylent or any other brand of full meal replacement, or making my own.
    I could understand not being interested in food and thus not making it a priority... but I can't wrap my head around not being able to afford sufficient food :( Where do you live?! Are you perhaps eligible for assistance? What amount is a serving of frozen vegetables??

A serving would be a cup. I could get the cheapest frozen veggies that are just carrots, and green beans to save money but then it's the issue of adequate nutrition. The price would be just under a dollar for a cup of that stuff.
    I'm not eligible for assistance and with our regions food banks struggling to keep up with the depend of Syrian refugees it wouldn't be right for me to go to such a place.
    I live in NS, Canada where the price of food has gone up over 20% in the last six years, but I'll be moving to a better province this year which will definitely help.

Here's an example of a cheap meal I just made. Meatloaf with reduced meat about to go bad so it costs roughly a dollar a serving, a small russet potato that cost $1.35, and some corn that cost a dollar for two servings worth, and a small bun for the meat loaf which was $.75. For $4.05 that's a wonderful meal but if I had a Soylent meal it would have been less than $2.50.
    Edit: the cost of a Soylent serving is $1.72 (CAD)
    I have heard about food prices in Canada rising, but I didn't know there was a food crisis. :s

You have the same entitlement as refugees - I think so at least.

((I) don't do cups.) I use green beans or peas, 100 grams of either, as a side for a dinner. Other frozen vegetables I use is edamame, brussel sprouts and spinach. What's wrong with just carrots or green beans?

Meat can be replaced with beans and grains - look for vegetarian meals. That combination provides complete protein.

How long are you planning to use Soylent? Are you just using it until you are moving?

At those prices It definitely sounds like a crisis. That's over 3-4 times the cost on our side of the border.

Who would have thought that smuggling frozen vegetables across the border could be financially lucrative.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I could understand not being interested in food and thus not making it a priority... but I can't wrap my head around not being able to afford sufficient food :( Where do you live?! Are you perhaps eligible for assistance? What amount is a serving of frozen vegetables??

A serving would be a cup. I could get the cheapest frozen veggies that are just carrots, and green beans to save money but then it's the issue of adequate nutrition. The price would be just under a dollar for a cup of that stuff.
    I'm not eligible for assistance and with our regions food banks struggling to keep up with the depend of Syrian refugees it wouldn't be right for me to go to such a place.
    I live in NS, Canada where the price of food has gone up over 20% in the last six years, but I'll be moving to a better province this year which will definitely help.

Here's an example of a cheap meal I just made. Meatloaf with reduced meat about to go bad so it costs roughly a dollar a serving, a small russet potato that cost $1.35, and some corn that cost a dollar for two servings worth, and a small bun for the meat loaf which was $.75. For $4.05 that's a wonderful meal but if I had a Soylent meal it would have been less than $2.50.
    I have heard about food prices in Canada rising, but I didn't know there was a food crisis. :s

((I) don't do cups.) I use green beans or peas, 100 grams of either, as a side for a dinner. Other frozen vegetables I use is edamame, brussel sprouts and spinach. What's wrong with just carrots or green beans?

Meat can be replaced with beans and grains - look for vegetarian meals. That combination provides complete protein.

How long are you planning to use Soylent? Are you just using it until you are moving?

At those prices It definitely sounds like a crisis. That's over 3-4 times the cost on our side of the border.

Who would have thought that smuggling frozen vegetables across the border could be financially lucrative.

it's close to 7$ a bag of frozen veggies here and 4$ for a 6 PACK of coke zero.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest issue is satiety. Will a shake keep you full? Because I know it wouldn't for me.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I studied a little bit about soylent while working at the high school I work at.

One issue is simply one around liquid diets in general... it helps control calories and such, but may not really teach a person how to handle the more complex issue of actual food.

Another is that Soylent, although a pretty complete food package, is still lacking or too high in certain nutrients. THere is no one size fits all when it comes down to nutrition. Not a big deal short term but the long term issues are unexplored.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I also live in NS Canada and in one of the highest poverty areas and I can get good much cheaper than what the OP is saying even at the expensive grocery store. I have never seen non organic eggs anywhere near $6. Actually at shoppers drug Mart they have 1-2 day sales every weekend where eggs are $1.88 a dozen and usually $2.50 at the most during the week. I'm not sure that you are shopping in the right places. I'm very poor (I am on CPP disability and social assistance and get a total of $742 a month) and I can still manage to eat real food since I only buy things on sale. Oh on sale sometimes you can get ground beef $2.99 a lb
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Every weekend you can get a 6 pack of 710 ml bottles for between 2.29-2.49 at shoppers
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Every weekend you can get a 6 pack of 710 ml bottles for between 2.29-2.49 at shoppers

I live in denmark, so by 6 pack i mean, the little 12 oz coke cans. They cost roughly 25-35kr. Individual bottles (.5 liters) are about 25kr as well. So, about 4$ for a smaller than 20oz coke.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

I live in denmark, so by 6 pack i mean, the little 12 oz coke cans. They cost roughly 25-35kr. Individual bottles (.5 liters) are about 25kr as well. So, about 4$ for a smaller than 20oz coke.

Nasty! At regular price pop is insanely expensive here but not that bad. I think it's around $6 for a 12 pack and $2 something for the 2l bottles so I never buy it not on sale