Doing a cut ?

Options
jordan_bowden
jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys! So I've heard of going on a calorie cut to help burn fat more efficiently while working out but I am not quite sure how to go about this. I understand you begin by increasing your calorie intake and then slowly bring it back down at a consistent pace. What I don't know is roughly by how much should you increase by in order for it to become effective and for how long before decreasing again ?

I would really appreciate any advice! (I don't know if being vegan is relevant in regards to calories ?)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You don't have to raise calories first. If you are currently maintaining your weight, you can start cutting calories now.
  • jordan_bowden
    Options
    I'm currently getting about 800-900 calories a day tops. I used to have way less and in my experience I could never lose much if I did that for a long time. I feel like I'll have better results if I up my intake first
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you were truly eating only 900 cals per day you would be losing plenty of weight?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm currently getting about 800-900 calories a day tops. I used to have way less and in my experience I could never lose much if I did that for a long time. I feel like I'll have better results if I up my intake first

How about taking a more appropriate approach and go with a moderate cut in calories. The ability to get adequate nutrients (especially protein) on 800-900 is highly unlikely, even for a very trained individual. But we can start simple, what is your height, weight, and exercise routine?
  • kristinkayyy
    kristinkayyy Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    First you should figure out your TDEE based on your age, height, weight, and activity level. There are lots on online calculators you can try out. Once you figure out that you should try increasing calories slowly (50-100 a week or so) until you reach your maintenance TDEE. After that you can try to slowly cut out calories to lose weight. 800-900 calories is very low (especially if you are also working out!) and if you aren't eating enough to fuel your body than weight loss will stall.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you have been living on an extreme caloric deficit for a period of time you will want to look at reverse dieting so that you can increase your maintenance calories. This is a long, slow process so be prepared for that. There is an excellent blog of a lady who has done this: http://www.themacroexperiment.com/ (go back to her archive blogs from when she first started) after living on extremely low calories for many years.
  • jordan_bowden
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:
    How about taking a more appropriate approach and go with a moderate cut in calories. The ability to get adequate nutrients (especially protein) on 800-900 is highly unlikely, even for a very trained individual. But we can start simple, what is your height, weight, and exercise routine?

I'm 160cm (5'3), and I weigh 49kgs (108lb). I do hiit and cardio workouts and I also run, about 5 days a week, sometimes more. I have tried to reach a higher calorie goal but I found I was gaining weight and struggled to eat so much food. I battle to even manage with my current 850 so atleast if I do a cut, it would definitely be manageable while beneficial.
  • jordan_bowden
    Options
    If you have been living on an extreme caloric deficit for a period of time you will want to look at reverse dieting so that you can increase your maintenance calories. This is a long, slow process so be prepared for that. There is an excellent blog of a lady who has done this: http://www.themacroexperiment.com/ (go back to her archive blogs from when she first started) after living on extremely low calories for many years.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

I'm 160cm (5'3), and I weigh 49kgs (108lb). I do hiit and cardio workouts and I also run, about 5 days a week, sometimes more. I have tried to reach a higher calorie goal but I found I was gaining weight and struggled to eat so much food. I battle to even manage with my current 850 so atleast if I do a cut, it would definitely be manageable while beneficial.

You are a normal BMI. I don't think cutting any more is the answer. Start incorporating weight training and increase your calories some. VLCD typically aren't advised on MFP unless under a MD care and it wouldn't seem you meet the criteria for that.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

At your current stats, you are at the very bottom end of an acceptable weight category before you become underweight. If you are still unable to have a lean and tight body, it's because you have probably lost a lot of muscle or it wasn't developed, since you have been on a very low calorie diet and probably low protein diet as well.

At this point, you really should look into, 1. slightly bulking/gaining weight and following a progressive overload lifting program to add muscle, or 2. recomp, which still requires a progressive overload lifting program. Either way, i would probably slowly increase your caloric consumption, especially protein based calories. This essentially will be a reverse diet to get you away from the plan that isn't effective for your goals. Yes, you might gain a few lbs, but that is largely going to happen to anyone, as you will be adding additional glycogen/water storage, increased waste in your GI track, and modifications to sodium. I would probably add 100 calories every other week until hit around 1400-1600. Follow a good progressive overload program (see below on a program) and incorporate HIIT/cardio the other days. At your age, you should have no problem hitting maintenance around 1500+

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • jordan_bowden
    Options
    Thank you soooo much!