Potassium?

Options
I can never get enough potassium in my diet. It's always really low no matter what I eat. The only time I got enough in was a day I ate a huge sweet potato. Does anyone know what I can eat to get enough in? Thanks

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are basing this off MFP, it might be wrong. Many of the entries in MFP don't have the micronutrients filled out correctly, so you might actually be getting adequate potassium and not know it.

But potassium is heavy in potatoes, dairy, dark lefty greens, bananas and kiwi.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    World's Healthiest Foods: Potassium
    This site has a lot of choices.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check that site out and I have kiwis in the house today! I will give those a try.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you are basing this off MFP, it might be wrong. Many of the entries in MFP don't have the micronutrients filled out correctly, so you might actually be getting adequate potassium and not know it.

But potassium is heavy in potatoes, dairy, dark lefty greens, bananas and kiwi.

Don't forget chicken and especially salmon. I was actually kind of shocked at how much they have, once I looked up the usda listings for them.
  • jbeth30
    Options
    Oh wow! According to that site...beet greens is where it's at.
  • jbeth30
    Options
    I didn't even think about chicken and salmon! I have been so hungry for fish. Maybe that's why
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about potassium. I was very concerned, found a way to ingest a lot. An hour later my heart rate 110 bpm.

Eat veggies, fish etc. No mega doses.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me that as long as I ate a good range of foods not to worry about it. Also, the bad side effects with heart problems far outweigh any benefit from focusing on it too much.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Most foods don't list potassium on the nutrition label in general. Lots of things contain potassium, but if it isn't on the label, it doesn't make it into the food log.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I eat spinach, egg whites, non Greek yogurt (source brand is great) and potatoes. Spinach is where you will find the most
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    And yes its important
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Potassium can be supplemented, if you truly feel that you're not getting enough, though I don't think it's relevant unless you're super worried about sodium. My best guess is that you're getting enough already, if you're eating a broad range of micronutrient rich foods.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Potassium works with Sodium for electrolyte balance, water balance, and other things. My go-to is avocados and spinach. Avocados are the best food on the planet, in my opinion. However, besides those powerhouse foods, there is also potatoes, bananers, and pork chops
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Low sodium tomato juice has a little over 900 mg, a serving of coconut water has 470 mg, a glass of milk has about 500 mg. That's almost 1,900 mg right there. A 1 cup serving of cooked spinach has 839 mg, a 1/2 cup serving of brocolli has 229 mg, bananas, avocados, apples. Most vegetables and fruits will have a good amount of potassium.

Also, the My Fitness Pal data base is horribly wrong a lot of the time. I have to correct so many things. I make sure to check the nutrition that is listed in the data base here and correct it if it is wrong and also to be sure tings like potassium are included. It takes some extra work but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    aelunyu wrote: »
    Potassium can be supplemented, if you truly feel that you're not getting enough, though I don't think it's relevant unless you're super worried about sodium. My best guess is that you're getting enough already, if you're eating a broad range of micronutrient rich foods.

I would caution those who think they need a potassium supplement to get a blood test first. Very few people actually need one. The people who generally due follow keto diets or have issues like POTS. High potassium levels can cause issues too.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

I would caution those who think they need a potassium supplement to get a blood test first. Very few people actually need one. The people who generally due follow keto diets or have issues like POTS. High potassium levels can cause issues too.

I'll attest to the issues. Gave myself a case of tachycardia that will not be forgotten!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

I'll attest to the issues. Gave myself a case of tachycardia that will not be forgotten!

So did you end up in the hospital? How much potassium did you take?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    So I've been told to up my potassium. I'm thought I was, but it's not showing up on MFP. You say that a lot of the foods aren't properly entered for potassium. Now I'm going to look more closely.