Accountability starts with a statement of intent.

Options
jmmcm7
jmmcm7 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, I am new to MFP and this is my statement of intent.

I haven't been a regular to diet or exercise for about 3 years and I haven't been a regular at a gym for almost 9 years.

I have decided that changes! 7 days ago I downloaded MFP. I quickly realized by not caring what I ate I was easily eating (and drinking) 2500+ calories on many days. By knowing what I eat, it is easy to eat intelligently instead of to glut. I feel better already.

I also joined a gym again. I travel a lot, and used the fact that some months I will hardly ever be home to utilize a gym as an excuse not to try. No more. On the road I can do plyometrics in the hotel, I can use the hotel gym, I can run up and down the stairs. I believe the important part is starting the habit. Now I have. Yesterday was my first day in a gym in 3 years; I did cardio. Today I am going in for a guided 'total body' weight training circuit.

I have watched the scale creep up for a long time. I am tall, and able to carry it well enough, but even that doesn't protect me from years of indulgence. Once I could see my 'spare tire' even when clothed I got down on myself. Instead of taking control, and taking action I ignored it or tried to deny how it made me feel about myself. No more.

At my best, right after college I was working out 5 days a week and eating a very lean diet of healthy food. I was 6'4'' and 195 lbs and felt great. A couple weeks ago, after a great night of friends filled with too much drinking and snacking I was 237 lbs. I was finally ready to address the problem head on.

That's where my journey starts. 237 lbs and generally unhappy with the way I treat myself, my own body. My goal is not hit and maintain 195 lbs again. For now I just want to drop to 200. I think I could get back to 195, and maybe as I get closer I will decide to try, but for now I understand I don't have the same time to commit to diet and exercise as I did back then. I don't want my health to rule my life but I want it to be synonymous with my life, a full partner if you will. I want to be healthy because it's a part of who I am, what makes me happy, and how I chose to live fully.

*Edited to ad* When I was in high school I did suffer from an eating disorder. I was 6'4'' and 155 lbs. I thought I was fat (ha!). It was so long ago I don't think it's pertinent to my current goals anymore but I firmly believe there should not be a stigma about discussing these things. If you think you even may have a problem seek help. You have friends, family, counselors, forum members that care. Being healthy mentally is just as important as being fit physically.

Replies

• jbudzinski
    jbudzinski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love the the idea of stated intent. Not sure I can put it it as eloquently as you did but I will do so none the less
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Excellent. You determined the problem and have charted a realistic plan. All that remains is to execute and make it habitual. Best wishes!