Shoes/gear for easy hiking?

Options
I live about a 30-minute drive from the Rockies and have often regretted not getting out there more to enjoy the scenery! Now that I can actually walk more than a few hundred yards without getting out of breath, I'd like to start taking some short and easy hikes once the weather improves.

I haven't really looked into it yet, but I presume there'll be some relatively easy trails I can follow rather than having to actually scramble up the side of a mountain...! ;) But I'm wondering what kind of footwear I should look for, and if there's any other gear I'd need.

Money is tight at the moment so I don't really want to spend a lot on a pair of hiking boots if I can avoid it - can I get away with a fairly cheap pair of shoes or regular boots, or will my feet need more support? And since I hope to improve my fitness and be able to manage longer walks, would it be better for me to spend more initially or wait and see how much I enjoy it before splashing out?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Replies

• l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As far as footwear goes, I think it depends on what kind of trails you'll be doing. If you're starting out with easier trails, so long as it's an even path, I think you'll be fine with whatever walking/running shoes you've been wearing so far. You'll need hiking boots if the terrain is rocky/uneven. Before spending the money, I would try a couple "easy" trails and see if you enjoy it first.

My other recommendation would be for a good backpack. If you're aiming to go for longer hikes, a backpack that is comfortable that you can throw snacks and water into is worth it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Most people don't use hiking boots anymore, except in special cases. A pound on your foot is like five pounds on your back. Good fitting shoes with grippy soles are plenty, and for some trails you don't even need grippy soles. I hiked in to Horseshoe Basin in what are basically comfy slippers, it was a 10 mile hike and I had a backpack with 3 days worth of gear.

You will need a camera.

Google "ten essentials" but use that as a starting point and apply some common sense.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Do you currently have any athletic shoes? Some kind of sneaker or similar? If so, start with those, then upgrade if/when necessary. I don't know about the Rockies, but most easier trails are easier in terms of distance, elevation/grade, and overall terrain. Most trails won't require a specific type of shoe. Can better shoes help? Definitely. But cross that bridge when you get there.

You could also use hiking shoes/boot as a reward if you need a little incentive like that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like a shoe with a hard sole to help protect from rocks,etc. It's a personal preference. Some people hike up mountains in gym shoes. Something with good support is important. Start off with some shorter trails. Your feet will tell you when it's time to upgrade. Congrats on the walking progress! Take it slow and easy and you will enjoy it,
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everyone on don't worry too much about shoes initially. Especially if the trails you are going on are easy. You might want to bring a water bottle, sunscreen and bug repellent. Comfort is key. When I go out I also try to get as much information on the trail that I am running. My current favorite site for research is www.trailrunproject.com. Has distances and descriptions that are often quite good.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I have a pair of cheap Danskin shoes I bought for my "walk at home" videos, since I found exercising in bare feet uncomfortable, but nothing I've tried wearing outside - when I go out for a walk I generally wear my everyday boots, but that's mostly on paved urban or park pathways. I haven't been out on rough ground yet. I might have some old trainers hiding in a closet somewhere, though... ;)

In the past I've usually found that I prefer to wear something with a bit of a heel (an inch or so), because my ankles always seem to ache so much when I walk in flat shoes. I don't know if that's something that's improved after losing weight, I haven't tried yet! And it might be different when walking uneven trails instead of smooth pathways, too.

I think I might like a firmer sole too, for the rocks and stones - I don't like feeling them under my feet and they can make me feel unsteady as well. (Poor balance is something I'm working on.) I worry that if I don't have proper support I might turn my ankle on rough ground, but I'm not sure if boots make that more or less likely than shoes. And would a hard sole make it more likely that I'd stumble on the uneven bits, rather than a softer one "absorbing" them?

And I hear you on the weight, @NorthCascades ! I remember I had a pair of big ol' hiking boots when I was much younger and they weighed a ton... I wouldn't fancy wearing those now! (The only reason I bought them was because I was going on holiday in Wales and planned to walk down Mount Snowdon, and thought I needed them. I rarely used them, they were so heavy.)

I definitely plan to start slow and easy and work up to longer walks - I just feel like I'm missing out on so much, living so close to the mountains and never going there.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Keep in mind that you'll find a huge variety of trail types and surfaces. I have no idea where you live except that it's somewhere near the Rockies. So I can't speak much about your area. But I bet it's a lot like mine in this sense. We have trails that are 100 % soft dirt. Others that are dirt but with rocks and roots sticking up. Still others have large sections of talus (broken up rocks, like from an eroding cliff.) You'd want to wear different shoes for each type of trail, but, on the other hand, you probably want to start off on the gentler ones.

We have a wonderful site, wta.org. Glance at the entry for my favorite trail. Of note are the distance (7.5 mile round trip), the elevation gain (1,800 feet of uphill), and the trip reports which tell you what other peoples' experience on the trail was recently. It's a good idea to read recent trip reports, they'll tell you about any issues you might encounter on the trail, which will either help you prepare for it, or tell you to go with plan B instead. I'm assuming there's something like this for your area.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'll take a look later and see what I can find locally. :) (Southern Alberta - Kananaskis is my nearest area, closer than Banff. Although I think there are some local trails that are even closer, since the main highway into Kananaskis doesn't open until June!)

"Gentle" sounds good - I don't want to discourage myself from hiking by starting out too ambitious and struggling. :) (Also hoping to persuade my hubby to come with me, and he wouldn't want a challenging walk either.)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I generally prefer trail running shoes rather than boots (unless it's a long winter mountaineering trip and I want to make sure my feet stay relatively dry)(also-those trips will generally require a shoe that accommodates crampons and/or snowshoes well)(and you are carrying much more weight). Otherwise, if it's mostly dirt (soft) path and minimal snow, I like XC running shoes with 3/8-5/8" spikes (they are more stable and stay put better than microspikes). In rocky areas, something with sticky sole and no spikes (when no snow at least) and decent padding is better (no XC shoes).

You may want to try out what you have now and see where they are lacking (what you want to improve on) before choosing a new pair - do they not have enough grip, do you need more padding for those trails, more or less of a heel drop, etc? Depending on amount of hills and your leg/knee/core strength, you may also want some hiking poles. You'll also possibly want a hydration pack to make it easy to get enough water on longer more strenuous hikes. I'm in western NY - most of our trails (especially the nearest ones that I run a lot) are mostly soft. The Adirondacks (other side of state) are largely hard rock.

You may want to research the trails you would be interested in, and then asking some of the local hiking groups for any recommendations, trail conditions..it probably varies a lot there by elevation.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    There may be books about the hiking trails in the area as well. I know there are quite a few for the Adirondacks, including a bunch that aren't just on the 46'er climbs. There are probably a lot for the Rockies Area. National Geographic also has a bunch of trail maps of various areas - http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps .
  • ritzvin
    Options
    You might try Facebook and Meetup.com if you are interested in finding a group to hike with, or the local orienteering club for maps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the trails. For most of my hikes, a light trail shoe is fine...I wear the Keen versatrail hiking shoe for most things...

keen-footwear-versatrail.jpg

I have a slightly more heavy duty shoe as well and heavy duty boots for backpacking.

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Apologies in advance, for a long post.

I'm a member of a walking group and was advised to get good boots when I started, they need to support the ankle (if going uphill and over uneven ground) and be waterproof, otherwise you can get walking shoes, which are like boots but without the ankle support, or trail shoes which are a mix of walking shoes and trainers.

I was on a walking holiday in August and we were told we had to have boots for a couple of the walks, by the guides.

Bags - any backpack will do starting off, just make sure to bring water, a torch, a whistle (always) and maybe something to eat if you're going to be more than a couple of hours. Hats/gloves/waterproofs depend on what the weather is like.

If it's less than 10k I bring a waist pack.
    I'm currently looking for a bag and my requirements are -
    Must have the tube space for a bladder, and a pouch to hold the bladder.
    Must have mesh pockets in the sides.
    Straps across the chest and waist.
    Waist strap should have zipped area for valuables.
    Must have space for carrying poles.
    Must have a waterproof cover.
    Extra pockets are also handy.

Walking poles are also good, even if they only provide support on the ascent.

Or, you could try Nordic pole walking if you don't want to go to far/high at the moment, it gives a much better all over body workout.

I use the MapMyWalk app, which was handy when we got lost and it led us back to the start :blush:

Hope that helps x
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    You live in a beautiful area. Try the provincial and national parks. They have both long and short trails. Ski and snowmobile trails are also good places to start. Bragg Creek Recreation area has some good ones as well.

I like Merrill Moab trail shoes to hike and backpack in. They have support, but are quite light weight and don't give me blisters. Any good trail shoe that fits will do. Get a day pack that is large enough to hold a jacket, rain jacket, water and snacks. Weather in the Rockies is very changeable, as you know, so you need to be prepared for whatever comes.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    You'll also possibly want a hydration pack to make it easy to get enough water on longer more strenuous hikes.

A lot of people say a hydration pack (that means there's a tube/straw coming out, around your shoulder over the strap) is the best option. You'll drink more if you don't have to take your pack off and fish out your water bottle.

I carry a Sawyer Mini water filter with me. It cost about $20 and weighs about 80 grams. It makes creek and lake water drinkable. It's lighter than carrying water. These can be set up inline with a hydration pack. A lot of the time I carry water anyway because some trails are dry. Even still, this - or iodine or a steripen or a pump - is a great thing to have in your pack in case of emergency.

sawyer-mini-sp128-waterfilter.jpg
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I prefer light trail running shoes. I am not a fan at all of boots and overly supportive footwear. Pick the tread that best suits your terrain (rocks, dirt, mud, etc) and go from there.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this recommendation that shoes don't matter. I have been on hikes in just some old running shoes and it has been hard on my feet -- not always, but a few times. Trails can be rocky. Distances can be longer than expected.
    When I was a kid, we used to backpack in sneakers. Converse high-tops. The adults didn't seem to think we needed boots, probably because we did not weight a lot. Anyway, we wore high tops so we wouldn't get rocks and dirt in our shoes. You might think about that.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The bottom line, is that it's 90% preference, 10% not high heels/dress shoes. But until you've hiked a bit and know what you prefer, there's no *need* to buy shoes now.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    A cheap pair of trainers should do for now- you're just starting out, and there's no sense spending money if you might not enjoy it, or if you decide to go down the boot route.

Personally I'm a lighter shoe fan, but I'm also a trail runner, so increasing my ankle strength is important to me.

Boots are recommended for supporting the ankle, keeping the foot dry, protecting you from rocky ground, you need cushioning for carrying heavy packs etc. On the other hand, ankle strength should be built up naturally and slowly, keeping the foot dry can mean no breathability, so there's an argument for NON- waterproof fast draining shoes, and prioperception is your best defence against rocky ground. Who wants a heavy pack anyway?

It's up to you, but as someone starting out, don't go thinking you have to have lots of kit to start, you don't. Just get out there and walk. Take the smallest bag/backpack you can get a few things in- a bottle of water, a couple of snacks, a waterproof and a warmer top. The bigger the bag, the more stuff you'll put in it so keep it small.

Wear comfortable clothes - I often hike in leggings, but just as often in trousers. Wear layers so you can remove them when it gets hot. Don't underestimate the wind - take something that is windproof rather than thick, and a hat or buff is a good idea

Tell someone where you are going and how long you expect to be, try and find a group to walk with. And understand the country code of the place you are in, look after the landscape, shut gates when walking through fields of livestock, and learn some basic map-reading skills.

Above all, get out there and enjoy it. Oh, and embrace the hills. The hills are your friends.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I only wear boots if I'm going to be crossing a lot of snow (because of the tread) or a glacier (because they work with crampons). I hiked from Cascade Pass to Stehekin in 3 days in light hikers, from Easy Pass to Colonial Creek in 5 days in the same shoes, and to Horseshoe Basin in 3 days in Cushies.