Your Favorite After Workout Snack?

Options
I'm just looking for ideas. Lately when I finish at the gym I am a little hungry. It's too early for supper and I've already had lunch. I just want a little something that will satisfy me for a couple of hours til dinner time. Lately it's been fruit but thinking I might need to change that to nuts or something else.

So just curious, what do the rest of you like to have after your workout?

Replies

• dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    some sort of lean protein snack would be good. It will stabilize your blood sugar so you aren't hungry when dinner comes.

I like fat free greek yogurt with splenda, vanilla and some blueberries and strawberries. I eat a cup of yogurt which is like 20 grams of protein
    After weights I make a smoothie with 1 cup of berries, some water, 1 scoop of vanilla whey powerder (27g of protein) and then I add ice to thicken it in the blender. tastes like a yummy milkshake
    If time is tight, I might have a couple of baby bell light cheese rounds with 8 special K whole wheat crackers
    or, some 2% cottage cheese. or celery with a little peanut butter, or 20 lightly salted almonds.

Good luck and good for you for working out!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk. It's been shown to have a great combination of nutrients to help you recover from a workout.
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I've been exercising regularly and have just finished a good workout one of my biggest cravings was always chocolate milk. My boyfriend used to think it was weird and told me I should probably do gatorade or something...but then he read an article in Sports Illustrated about why chocolate milk makes a great after workout drink. Really good ratio of proteins/fats/carbs and it's yummy!

A little peanut butter on celery is a good one too.
  • kyliep99
    kyliep99 Posts: 15
    Options
    I like to have yoghurt or raw nuts after a workout, protein of some sort
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I can't do dairy but I think when I go to the grocery store tomorrow I am going to see what types of organic nuts they have. I love walnuts and pecans.

Are all nuts good for you or are there some that are better than others?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Anything not nailed down.
  • NoellePaige29
    NoellePaige29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid Dairy as well, so I usually have a SoDelicious coconut yogurt. They are soooo good. The almond yogurts are good too, but I just like the consistency of the coconut ones more. There are a lot of flavors too! You can usually find them at your local grocery store.
  • JTREV11
    JTREV11 Posts: 1
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER OR ALMONDS....
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a granola bar. It helps tide me over until supper and I don't ruin my appetite.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar, any fruity flavour, preferably Caribbean Cooler. I go all out, post workout I'm simply too exhausted to eat solid foods, plus nutriments from liquids are supposedly absorbed faster.
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    Protein is best. Ideally something that is absorbed fast.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Mrs. May's dark chocolate covered freeze-dried strawberries.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Chipotle chicken bowl..