my office chair is trying to kill me

Options
lately, after about an hour of working, my glutes feel super sore sitting in my office chair. i walk around every hour and stretch (just a basic toe touch) but as soon as i'm back in the chair it's creeping back on me. i do a lot of squats and running so there's some tightness and soreness that i expect, but even after 3 days rest with no soreness once i'm in the chair i'm in the pain.

anyone know what this could be? is it just evil? is it my sciatica? did i do this to myself?

giphy.gif

Replies

• moniquemallarifitness
    moniquemallarifitness Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eeek, that sucks and sounds painful! It might be your sciatica :(

I know you said you do the basic toe touch for stretches, but, I believe that it just stretches the hamstrings... maybe find a secluded spot and try some glute isolation stretches as well (Just did a random search, and found this: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Glute-Stretches-31076234)

Hope this helps!

Ps. I totally feel you, I've got knee, wrist, neck and shoulder issues because of desk work.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Can you lower your chair, take the pressure off the back of your legs or use a stool to elevate your feet?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    No advice, just compassion!

My chair was killing my back. I ended up needing a medical certificate that I need an ergonomic chair. The insurance paid for it and everyone's happy: my boss because I'm actually concentrated at work again; my doctor because the inflammation along my spine is healing nicely; my back because it's not twisted into a bad position for it; and I'm happy because I can sleep at night again and sit for more than 30 minutes.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Eeek, that sucks and sounds painful! It might be your sciatica :(

I know you said you do the basic toe touch for stretches, but, I believe that it just stretches the hamstrings... maybe find a secluded spot and try some glute isolation stretches as well (Just did a random search, and found this: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Glute-Stretches-31076234)

Hope this helps!

Ps. I totally feel you, I've got knee, wrist, neck and shoulder issues because of desk work.

thank you! i can always close my door and do some stretches. if it were up to me i would work all day with a lap top on the ground and in pigeon pose. lol.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    Can you lower your chair, take the pressure off the back of your legs or use a stool to elevate your feet?

after googling this morning i decided to raise the chair, but if that doesn't work i will try lowering it too. i was surprised there wasn't a lot more information about this online. there are a ton of articles about how sitting is bad for you, but most talk about lower back pain.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    No advice, just compassion!

My chair was killing my back. I ended up needing a medical certificate that I need an ergonomic chair. The insurance paid for it and everyone's happy: my boss because I'm actually concentrated at work again; my doctor because the inflammation along my spine is healing nicely; my back because it's not twisted into a bad position for it; and I'm happy because I can sleep at night again and sit for more than 30 minutes.

that would be amazing, i have an appointment with a chiropractor next week and maybe if they see something notable i can get a certificate as well. i'm so glad to hear that you're healing!

i'm thinking in the meantime of getting a memory foam chair pad or something, but not sure if that's a waste of money.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other suggestions, if it feels better when you stand more, consider a standing desk. I rigged one up at my home office (just a long wood box on top of my desk) and it works a treat. I switch back and forth all day.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    In addition to the other suggestions, if it feels better when you stand more, consider a standing desk. I rigged one up at my home office (just a long wood box on top of my desk) and it works a treat. I switch back and forth all day.

thanks! much like a new chair i think i would have to present something to my employer and perform some type of witchcraft in order to get them to consider something other than the hand me down furniture we get in our offices. we're pretty regulated in what we can have. it's all a uniform standard of old and crappy.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    They wouldn't even let you bring in your own? Corporations are really stupid sometimes.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Ergodriven-Perfect-Standing-Medium/dp/B01GGNV6VQ

I bought this standing desk for TWENTY DOLLARS a few weeks ago and love it. I didn't think I'd like standing, but I really like getting to shift my weight and even do stretches as I work (my co-workers always laugh at my impromptu office sun salutations). It's helped my posture so far too which can help with a sore back. I will sing this thing's praises forever.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Mine makes my hamstrings hurt. I've thought about bringing in a tennis ball and rolling around on it while sitting in my chair. Just haven't actually bought the tennis ball yet :/
  • __TMac__
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Ergodriven-Perfect-Standing-Medium/dp/B01GGNV6VQ

I bought this standing desk for TWENTY DOLLARS a few weeks ago and love it. I didn't think I'd like standing, but I really like getting to shift my weight and even do stretches as I work (my co-workers always laugh at my impromptu office sun salutations). It's helped my posture so far too which can help with a sore back. I will sing this thing's praises forever.

That's sort of brilliant.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lately, after about an hour of working, my glutes feel super sore sitting in my office chair. i walk around every hour and stretch (just a basic toe touch) but as soon as i'm back in the chair it's creeping back on me. i do a lot of squats and running so there's some tightness and soreness that i expect, but even after 3 days rest with no soreness once i'm in the chair i'm in the pain.

anyone know what this could be? is it just evil? is it my sciatica? did i do this to myself?

Not sure about the employment laws in the States but over in Europe if you work with any sort of VDU (computer/till/etc) you can insist on an occupational health assessment, this is at the employers expense, to make sure that you have the correct seat /desk/foot support/anti-glare stuff required for your individual purposes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

thanks! much like a new chair i think i would have to present something to my employer and perform some type of witchcraft in order to get them to consider something other than the hand me down furniture we get in our offices. we're pretty regulated in what we can have. it's all a uniform standard of old and crappy.

I had significant back issues due to 30+ years in an office job. Wirh a note from my medical professional I had a $2000 adjustable desk in 3 days.

Reasonable accommodations are part of.the Americans with disabilities act which most US employers must comply with. Believe in most cases an adjustable desk would qualify

Check with your HR department and doctor

Best of luck.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    I own a small business that employs 11, all of which are desk jobs. I'm seriously considering just sending those collapsible ones from above to everyone.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

abilities
    I had significant back issues due to 30+ years in an office job. Wirh a note from my medical professional I has an adjustable desk in 3 days.

Reasonable accommodations are part of.the Americans with disabilities act which most US employers must comply with. Believe in most cases an adjustable desk would qualify

Best of luck.

I did the same at a large corporation. They don't have a choice with the proper medical documentation. Your Doc has probably done thousands of these.

Getting up and moving can help. I know many office workers, me included, who have cervical spine degeneration. It's been suggested that lack of proper movement may be the key.

Good luck.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

abilities
    I had significant back issues due to 30+ years in an office job. Wirh a note from my medical professional I has an adjustable desk in 3 days.

Best of luck.

I did the same at a large corporation. They don't have a choice with the proper medical documentation. Your Doc has probably done thousands of these.

Getting up and moving can help. I know many office workers, me included, who have cervical spine degeneration. It's been suggested that lack of proper movement may be the key.

Good luck.

My situation was at a large corporate headquarters also. They are extremely anal about equipment matching. They provided.me with a new Steelcase desk that incorporates wirh the rest of the work area.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

abilities

Best of luck.

Good luck.

My situation was at a large corporate headquarters also. They are extremely anal about equipment matching. They provided.me with a new Steelcase desk that incorporates wirh the rest of the work area.

Yes I had a chair that worked just fine. It was a "cube" chair not a "office" chair. The chair police turned me in.

Of all the things that Megacorp's do the chair police are about the silliest. I think the chair they gave me was about $1500. Whatever, it was not any better than the chair I was using.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Between diverticulitis and arthritis in my tail bone and lower spine, I can't sit all day nor can I stand all day.
    My solution is a very tall desk and the tallest stool Staples sells. That makes it easy for me to switch between sitting and standing as need through the day.
    The tall desk and the stool combined cost less than the super ergo office chairs.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

I used to work in corporate, so I totally get this. That said, there were two people in my last office who used standing desks. They had to submit a note from their doctor stating that a standing desk was necessary for them to manage pain and whatnot.