Tools for calculating calories burned

Options
Hey guys, I'm looking for suggestions for an app or website that I can use to calculate calories burned during exercise. Please reply with your suggestions and anything you've found. I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks guys!
Much love!!!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I use a power meter on my bike. I went with a pedals based one for portability and compatibility.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What type of exercise?

Some forms of exercise will have pretty good estimates. Other forms of exercise will NEVER have good estimates; there are just too many unknown variables.

Most people here use their best guess and then adjust up or down based on actual results. Lots of other things are estimates as well. Some people log food accurately (food scale)....others just think they do. You could be on the high end of your chosen activity level, or on the low end. It's really a range.

If your exercise will be consistent (you will actually do it) - then you might like using a TDEE calculator instead. This includes an estimate of exercise & then averages your calories out during the week. You don't log exercise if you've used TDEE less a percent.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Most of the standard methods are largely crapshoots based on some averages and a bunch of assumptions. Pick a site, an app, or a fitness tracker and go with it for a while. It doesn't really matter, at this point, which one you pick... so pick one that's easy or convenient or cheap or fun or whatever you like and just get started.
  • ekritter7
    ekritter7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I think I've decided to only worry about number of calories burned on cardio (I mostly do cardio anyways) and to trust that the right number is somewhere between what MFP says and what the Fitbit app says.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Go with the lowest number you're given.