I will not regain the weight that I lost, because...

Options

Replies

• AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I will not regain the weight that I lost because .....

I have done it so many times after going "on a diet" I think I've learned something.

This time I mentally prepared for months for my "life style change " I said it to myself every day ...(On June 3rd I will never drink soda again) (On June 3rd I will change my life )(On June 3rd I will get control of myself) I didn't even realize I was doing it.

I am also prepared for the excuses I have used before ,even if I have another major injury. Which contributed to my last regain 10 years ago. If I cannot walk I will swim, If I cannot move fast I will move slow.

I will not allow myself to sabbotage my thinking ever again . I am on my side .

I will not hang aroung people who encourage me to eat unhealthy on a regular basis( yes, family member also )

I started this as a lifestyle change mainly quitting soda , but it's so much more now and I like the way I feel when I am in control of my life .

Amy
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I will not regain the weight that I lost, because...

I never do.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hi,

I have had RNY Gastric bypass. In August 2011 I weighed 563 lbs and was miserable. In the year before my surgery I lost 110 lbs on my own, and since having my weight loss surgery 7/30/2012 I have lost another 172 lbs for a grand total of 282 lbs lost to date. It is true that MANY regain weight they lose, and then some! My biggest saying at the moment is: "I WILL NOT GO BACKWARDS, I WILL NOT GO BACKWARDS, I WILLLLLLL NOTTTTTTTTTTTT GOOOOOOOOOO BACKWARDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSS!!!" I pray that I will stick to that when I finish losing my last 80 lbs!! I try to practice eating healthy every single day. I know what I have to do to lose so I make sure I do it every single day of my life for almost 2 years now. Today I am 281 lbs. I am 5"11 so when I arrive at the 200 mark, loose skin will be removed and I should wind up at my goal of 180 lbs....Weight loss surgery saved my life, and I hope and pray never to go back to how I was eating before. For 2 years I have been eating right and am now going to the gym every single day of my life. This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix. I wish you the best in your goal!!! Hang in there.....you'll get there!!

Janine Alfke
  • gizmo1166
    gizmo1166 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will not gain the weight I've lost back, because...............

I know that I am loved and have a right to look after myself as well as everyone else,

I have rediscovered my love of exercise and the positive feelings it can bring!

I no longer think about food as the answer to all of life's challenges

And finally,

I deserve to be loved and looked after, and its okay to express my feelings outwardly, and not hide them away.

:love:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    it feels too good to be thin again
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have to modify the statement for my circumstances.

I will never become overweight because I do not want the associated health and image issues. I will, as I have done for years, monitor my weight and take immediate, appropriate action if my weight gets above a certain level. I will attempt to perform a certain degree of rigorous exercise every week.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    People gain it back because they "diet" (action verb) rather than taking a look at their "diet" (noun) and learning or re-learning how to eat and what to eat...what a portion of something looks like, etc. When people diet, they tend to deprive themselves of everything...so they never learn moderation...you should never completely eliminate anything when you're "dieting" unless you intend to never eat that particular thing ever again.

This is why I will fight to not regain it. I seriously hope I remember the lessons I've learned about logging and weighing in weekly, and walking as much as I can and going to the gym regularly. This is not dieting for me, this is how I intend to eat and exercise for the rest of my lift beyond when I reach my goal, knowing that if I am not dilligent, and if I don't make myself a priority, I am likely to gain it back.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As a person who, a few years ago, had lost almost 70lbs to get to a healthy BMI and regained it all plus some, I think I can speak from experience.

In a little over a year I lost over 85 pounds, and AGAIN at a healthy BMI (thanks to MFP) and have been in maintenance for 3 months, 3 weeks.

I will not regain the weight THIS TIME because....I learned that maintaining a healthy weight is not so much about counting calories, exercising and concern about what I look like on the outside--it's more about loving me exactly as I am in the present moment and learning that whatever challenges life throws my way, I am strong enough to overcome them without needing to medicate with food.

I've learned that in order to make lasting changes on my 'outside, ' I needed to first make lasting changes on the 'inside.' Body, spirit, mind & emotions working together is the the reason I will not regain the weight this time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know I don't beleive in any of that supposedly "science" you are all talking about above because it is exactly opposite to my experience. Now I know you may be thinking why should I beleive some lady who says her experience opposes a logic that somebody said they got from science somewhere.

I am not saying you should beleive me when I say that it's entirely possible to reach goal weight and stay there with no monumental efforts aside from eating in a healthy and balanced way and moving around a reasonable amount.

I am only saying that since I already know from life experience that when you gain weight you kind of stay there unless something major happens and when you lose it the same holds true, that I am not going to change my ideas about this just because you post some scary percentages and worrisome rationale why that might be true and attach the word "science" to it.

I just wish everyone had the experience with weight loss and maintenance that I do so they would not be vulnerable to posts, articles, and pseudo-science like this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel when you've lost your weight it will not be free reign to eat birthday cake everyday but it will not be as difficult or time consuming as losing it has been.

-Your maintenance cals will be higher than your current weight loss cals.
    -Working out will be a habit and an easily maintained one.
    -Assuming you've earned some muscle through all this weight loss and lost some fat your body will burn more calories at rest.

All these factors combine to make maintenance nowhere near as difficult as the losing times. I am serious. I have done it. I know this to be true from experience. I did not read it anywhere and am not fishing in my brain for reasons it might be true. That is all. Look forward to your success. You deserve it. THAT is your true self. THIS is the abberration. You will not live your whole life desperately trying to cling to something you do not deserve. You will live your life celebrating with what you knew to be true about yourself all along.
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options
    I lost 33 pounds and have kept it off for a year and a half.

I will not gain back because I changed my lifestyle. When I decided I needed to lose weight and get healthy I knew I needed start exercising and keep exercising and change my diet.
    I lost weight the way I planned to live my life; i knew I wouldn't give up alcohol, chocolate and carbs for the rest of my life so I lost weight while not completely denying myself everything I loved. I am fortunate that I truly enjoy fruits, veggies and whole grains.
    I weight myself almost every day and exercise at least 5 days a week.

I love how I look and feel now; I will never go back.
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks boatsie, that's a really good point.

I read that you have experience with it. I respect that you did it all over again and that you maintained it for some time now, I hope that with that positive mentality you will keep it off!
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I will not regain the weight that I lost because I am not on a diet, I have totally changed my lifestyle. I am energetic and I crave exercise. As I lose the weight I see myself adding more and more fun activities into my day, right now its walking and swimming - starting next week I'm adding bike riding. (bought the bike yesterday, picking it up on Monday).

I have been big almost all of my adult life and there's so much I want to do once I get down to a healthy size. I am a mature, happily divorced woman who loves to travel and adores men. And my adult son finishes college in two years and won't be living at home, so I plan on getting to do a lot of things I wasn't able to do in my 20s including dancing, hiking, etc. Been putting life on hold far too long and now I want to get out there and live it.
  • jxspxr
    Options
    NIH research on women who keep it off shows that they:

- exercise an hour a day
    - continue to log/record/monitor their food
    - measure/weigh food
    - incorporate treats - i.e. small portions of foods they love - thoughout weight loss and maintenace. This means ice cream, fries, etc. are in their food allowance
    - weigh or measure themselves often, and keep themselves in a very narrow allowable weight zone. When they start to move out of it, they go back to the method they used to keep the weight off

Food intake is the key to weight LOSS. Exercise and the above habits are what is critical in keeping it off.

One of my colleagues contributed to that research. Good science. I am GOING to be in that 10%,

National Weight Control Registry: http://www.nwcr.ws/
    Research findings: http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm
    MFP helps: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/07/28/128826343/logging-on-helps-people-lose-weight

Good and interesting contribution nxd10, I agree with these points! And useful links, added them to favourites to read some more later!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 - the same answer for you: I am glad that your personal experience is different, but you are the minority. So, I don't agree that my hypothesis is crap, go read the science. You do have some excellent points and I think that with your method you can effectively keep your weight off - I think the key thing is to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise, or training as you call it. My compliments!

LOL dude...that's not science. If that were "science" then that would mean that I would not be able to eat what I currently eat (2700 - 3000 calories per day at 5'10" and 180 Lbs to maintain). You posted a "news" article, not a scientific paper. Just because it has the word "study" in it doesn't mean it's actually science and stuff.

Again...people gain the weight back because they go back to their old habits and old ways of doing things. About the only thing I would possibly agree with is that some people go on VLCD and jack their metabolisms...and in those cases, yeah...they've done metabolic damage so they can't eat as much as someone of equivalent stats. But actually, even that can be fixed...I've seen anorexics fix metabolic damage.

I agree with this!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I will log my food forever. I will also get in some form of exercise at least 3 times a week. I believe not exercising and not paying attention to what I was eating is what led me to regain the weight every other time I had lost before.
  • jxspxr
    Options
    @cwolfman13 - the same answer for you: I am glad that your personal experience is different, but you are the minority. So, I don't agree that my hypothesis is crap, go read the science. You do have some excellent points and I think that with your method you can effectively keep your weight off - I think the key thing is to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise, or training as you call it. My compliments!

LOL dude...that's not science. If that were "science" then that would mean that I would not be able to eat what I currently eat (2700 - 3000 calories per day at 5'10" and 180 Lbs to maintain). You posted a "news" article, not a scientific paper. Just because it has the word "study" in it doesn't mean it's actually science and stuff.

Again...people gain the weight back because they go back to their old habits and old ways of doing things. About the only thing I would possibly agree with is that some people go on VLCD and jack their metabolisms...and in those cases, yeah...they've done metabolic damage so they can't eat as much as someone of equivalent stats. But actually, even that can be fixed...I've seen anorexics fix metabolic damage.

I agree with this!

Well, I did post a news article, I am aware of that. I could back my premise up by some real science, but I do not find this really interesting for now. I understand that there some resistant to my premise, because I mentioned the numbers 90% and 10%. These are of course just numbers. But if we forget that part, I am surprised that people don't agree with me on these points: 1) a lot of people gain their weight back, and more (I said 90% because I read it from different sources, but of course I just want to make my point strongly, so we've got something to discuss. I guess I was successful here ;) 2) in some situations your body may work against you - your metabolism may be lower, there may be more hormones that stimulate your desire for food. This is a factor for some people (again I don't know for what percentage of people this is a significant factor, or how strong it is - and of course it can be overcome). The person who responded to me agrees with me on this point (only). I wish to add that I do not imply that it cannot be fixed.

That's as far as I'd like to discuss my premises. Fact is, keeping your weight of is a challenge for many people - so it's important to think about this and share ideas.

Edit: but perhaps I should not be surprised that a lot don't agree. I think this works differently for different people - some people require a LOT more discipline to maintain a healthy weight then other people. Some of the people who have it easier like to say that because it's easy for them, it's easy for everyone - the people who fall back were weak. I don't agree with that, that's what I want to challenge here - I think it can be really tough to maintain your weight for some people (I don't know if I am one of them, though I tend to think I won't have a hard time here), and a good approach to keeping your weight of is key, incorporating the strategies that many of you (for example nxd10) mentioned is necessary for many.

So, let's get back to discussing that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    :tongue: because I did it for me.

Because I want to be healthy and happy and I am at my happiest when I am eating well, exercising and not dieting.

I don't deprive myself of what I want but now I have 3 hot wings not 10.

Oh and I don't want to buy another size 12/14 or 16 again in my entire life....maybe 8 or 6 but never up again. Too expensive to buy another wardrobe of cloths...unless it's smaller stuff then I will spend the money...hehe:laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I agree with this!

Well, I did post a news article, I am aware of that. I could back my premise up by some real science, but I do not find this really interesting for now. I understand that there some resistant to my premise, because I mentioned the numbers 90% and 10%. These are of course just numbers. But if we forget that part, I am surprised that people don't agree with me on these points: 1) a lot of people gain their weight back, and more (I said 90% because I read it from different sources, but of course I just want to make my point strongly, so we've got something to discuss. I guess I was successful here ;) 2) in some situations your body may work against you - your metabolism may be lower, there may be more hormones that stimulate your desire for food. This is a factor for some people (again I don't know for what percentage of people this is a significant factor, or how strong it is - and of course it can be overcome). The person who responded to me agrees with me on this point (only). I wish to add that I do not imply that it cannot be fixed.

That's as far as I'd like to discuss my premises. Fact is, keeping your weight of is a challenge for many people - so it's important to think about this and share ideas.

Edit: but perhaps I should not be surprised that a lot don't agree. I think this works differently for different people - some people require a LOT more discipline to maintain a healthy weight then other people. Some of the people who have it easier like to say that because it's easy for them, it's easy for everyone - the people who fall back were weak. I don't agree with that, that's what I want to challenge here - I think it can be really tough to maintain your weight for some people (I don't know if I am one of them, though I tend to think I won't have a hard time here), and a good approach to keeping your weight of is key, incorporating the strategies that many of you (for example nxd10) mentioned is necessary for many.

So, let's get back to discussing that.

Keeping weight off is a challenge.

So, it's better to lose and maintain in a healthy, sustainable way. And to not fall back into old habits. And to build new habits.

Being unnecessarily pessimistic is not helpful to a lot of people, and could be part of the reason people gain the weight back.

No reason to take these responses as an attack on you. They are good news. And they include helpful info.
  • jxspxr
    Options
    [/quote]

Keeping weight off is a challenge.

So, it's better to lose and maintain in a healthy, sustainable way. And to not fall back into old habits. And to build new habits.

Being unnecessarily pessimistic is not helpful to a lot of people, and could be part of the reason people gain the weight back.

No reason to take these responses as an attack on you. They are good news. And they include helpful info.
    [/quote]

Thanks! You are right that being unnecessarily pessimistic is not helpful for many. In retrospective I should not have mentioned the percentages - I think being on this forum discussing your weight loss progress, experiences, etc may already be a big success factor. I do think that being unnecessarily optimistic is not helpful either - so, I think the best way to approach this is as a challenge, but one that you can handle if you put in the effort and find the right way!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I will not regain the weight that I lost because I know how I gained the weight in the first place and have corrected those behaviors. I eat until I'm full, not until I'm bloated. I don't drink 600+ calorie coffee drinks anymore.