Fruit and Veggie Sugar

Options
sindyb9
sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
I have been tracking my sugar in take and have a question about sugar. Almost every fruit and veggie I eat has sugar which puts me over by eating just a couple of fruits and veggies. Is that bad? Thanks for any help. I was just told I have diabeties and this is very confusing for me. :embarassed:

Replies

• sindyb9
    Options
    I have been tracking my sugar in take and have a question about sugar. Almost every fruit and veggie I eat has sugar which puts me over by eating just a couple of fruits and veggies. Is that bad? Thanks for any help. I was just told I have diabeties and this is very confusing for me. :embarassed:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    check your blood sugar before and after you eat your fruit. I am diabetic for 3yr now and I can help you out more if you send me a message. Just click on my name above my picture, then click send a message. Fruits and vegetables are good for you and if eaten in a fair portion it shouldn't raise your sugar level very high. If it does you may need your medication adjusted.:flowerforyou: I eat all the fruits and vegetables I want but I split my meals and snacks into at least 5 to six times a day and not three meals a day. As montanagirl was saying , about potatos are high in carbs., white breads, white rice. Pasta, spegetti, you have to watch out on your portions of these foods. :wink:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    If you have been told you have diabetes, you should set up an appointment with a nutritionist. No doubt you have tons of questions and will have a lot to sort out and work through. Yes, fruits and veggies are carbs. Most veggies are pretty low carb - unless your eating corn, peas, or potatoes. Even carrots are pretty low carb. Fruits have sucrose - some more some less. You probably want to have mostly low GI (glycemic index - you can google it and find lists) fruits at least for now. Exercise does wonders for type 2 diabetes also. I would def. encourage you to make sure you follow your Dr.'s advice and see a nutritionist at least a couple of times to get info and direction!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sindyb9
    Options
    Thank you I will email you Karen.

I am currently looking for a nutritionist, my doctor told me to loose some weight, I am not being medicated for it he has given me 3 months to loose weight and did mention seeing a nutritionist to assist me in weight loss. But like you said I do have a lot of questions about it and I know everyone is different. My mother and my sisters and brother have diabetes as well. I was just worried about going over my sugar amount on MFP by eating fruits and veggies.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    If you are worried about the sugar in each food you might want to look into looking at the Glycemic count of the foods that you eat. This is something that I have had to watch my whole life because of my blood sugar.

There are some good sites to read and to also find the Glycemic Index for foods. The lower the number, the lower the natural sugar so to speak. Google Glycemic Index and you will find a bunch of articles and such.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20030820/glycemic-index-new-way-to-count-carbs

And a site for finding the Glycemic Index for foods...

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html
  • sindyb9
    Options
    Thank you very much. I am trying to see if my insurance covers a nutritionist but cant afford one on my own.

Thank you everyone for all your help. :bigsmile: