How many calories from Spin class?

Options
How many calories do you guys log for 45 min of spinning? I average 175 watts, pretty rigorous effort. I'm typically log 300kcal to stay on the low end. Wonder what y'all do. Thanks!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    I use: Stationary bike, light effort (bicycling, cycling, biking)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    From your power output reading you are underestimating calories if that's an average 175watts for the entire 45 mins.

This is an example of converting watts to calories:
    100W X 1h X 3.6 = 360kcal

So for your example:
    175 x 0.75 x 3.6 = 472.5kcal

Link for info - mccraw.co.uk/powertap-meter-convert-watts-calories-burned/

In my Y the bike displays watts and calories. But the leader board shows kJoules.
    I have found that if I use my Polar HRM, the calories are pretty close between the HRM and the bike. Of course the bike is just doing the kJ to kC for me. Mine varies between 500 to 700 depending on how long I warm up before class starts.
    (I once peaked around 600W during a sprint. Can't maintain that for long though)
  • dtperkins22
    dtperkins22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Measure your heart rate at the end of the session and use one of those online calculators that works out calories burned by inputting your weight/heart rate/durations of activity. That's what I do after cardio.
  • Kerriecandothis
    Kerriecandothis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spinning is on the exercise list on here at 500 cal for 45 minutes. I have no idea if it burns that much but I don't eat back more than half my exercise Cal's anyway just to be sure
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    How many calories do you guys log for 45 min of spinning? I average 175 watts, pretty rigorous effort. I'm typically log 300kcal to stay on the low end. Wonder what y'all do. Thanks!

I bolded the important part for you. It doesn't matter what your weight or age or heart rate or hair color is. If you averaged 175w for 45 minutes, you burned 472.5 kCal not factoring in metabolic efficiency. Factoring that in it's somewhere between about 520 and 534 kCal.

@sijomial had the right answer above, I'm just repeating it because there's a lot of noise in here.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was wondering how trustworthy the power meters are on the spin bikes.. it is common knowledge that the calorie displays on treadmills/ellipticals tend to be over estimations - does the same apply to spin bike's power meter?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never been on a spin bike, but I'm assuming that if it's a direct force power meter, it'll be accurate to +/- 2 %.