"Houston, Tranquillity Base here.

Laces_0ut
Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
The Eagle has landed."

44th anniversary of the first moon landing.

anyone here old enough to remember watching? i would love to hear what that experience was like.

i cant imagine what a Mars mission will be like.

neilarmstrong.jpg

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    anyone here old enough to remember watching?

Thank you EVER so much. Because something that happened 44 years ago couldn't possibly have anyone still alive who remembers it, right? That long ago, we must all be long dead and buried right? lol

Believe it or not, there are those of us who remember watching most space launches. Especially the early ones. They'd stop school and all the classes would gather around TVs and watch.

It was amazing to watch and an amazing time. Especially coming after such an awful year that 1968 was. So many forget how horrible 1968 was. How divided the country was. Bobby Kennedy shot. Martin Luther King shot and the riots that followed. Vietnam war raging with demonstrations everywhere. The country was going to hell, literally. And then came Apollo 11 and, for at least a moment, we all came together to watch this most singular achievement in human history. And the tension of "what would the first words be".

And by Apollo 13, it became ordinary and humdrum. Until it wasn't any more.

But think about it. The computers that drove the space program were probably not much more powerful than the processors we have in our cell phones in our pockets today.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    where did i say its not possible for someone to be alive to have seen the launch? why would i ask if someone here remembers it if i thought it was impossible?

why would it be hard to believe there are people who remember watching most of the launches?

One of the main reasons i started this thread was to get their reactions.

if you had just wrote the paragraph contrasting the bad year of 1968 with the launch in 1969 that would have been very interesting.

instead you have to get offended.

i swear ive never seen a webstie with more people who get offended so easily.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    I saw them all from Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo. Absolutely amazing, I've aways been awed by space travel. Saw it with my Father at a cottage we had. You bet, I hope I live long enough to see a Mars mission. There is a documentary that was on history channel the other day I believe called "In the shadow of the Moon" Interviews and great footage. Thanks for posting !!!

Edit: Remember Walter Conkrite ? I was young but I even remember JFK's speach about going to moon before the end of a decade. I'm Canadian, but I always thought he was a highly motivational and strategic thinker. Alot of us thought we were on our way to further explorations and on the path to `Star Trek`type journeys.
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    "But think about it. The computers that drove the space program were probably not much more powerful than the processors we have in our cell phones in our pockets today."

I have been told by some software friends who work on drones, that the computing power in a
    singing birthday card exceeds the computing capability of the Apollo Vehicles. Sobering thought.