February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ccontr11 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips advice on outer knee pain while running? I've been looking it up to see what it could be, in guessing maybe IT band. Let me know if anyone has experienced this type of knee pain and how you dealt with it. Thanks!

Outer, as in the side or as in the front?

On the side, the right side of my right knee is mostly where they pain is :(

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @9voice9 - I think any age group win is a great accomplishment, even if the pool is small. You were there, you ran and succeeded. Boom! Also do they give out snickers at your HM? If they do I could probably get my husband to consider running it!
    I don't know - I'll let y'all know. I'm still looking for what I'm told used to be the normal post-race libation: free BEER! The only time I *know* it's been available was after the Peachtree Road Race (Atlanta), and I didn't understand that my racebib was all I needed in order to get at it! BTW - lesson learned for the 2017 race!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp That's a great write up of today's assignment. Though the scale is totally different (I'm running less), I had a similar run today, running my 4 miles after yesterday's distance PR. I was surprised it felt as easy as it did....LOL, not looking forward to the runs the days after my 20 milers though.

Like I said, you're on a whole nother level. Great run!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @garygse @shanaber @BeeerRunner - Y'all prompt me to digress on the subject of lost toenails. At one time, I was missing 5 or 6 toenails. With some, I knew which run caused the toenail to die and ultimately fall off. With others, I saw that it had happened but did not identify when it happened.

For me, lost toenails are not correlated with hills. I run lots of hills. I lost my first toenail from running 22 miles on an indoor track. Yeah, a new surface, stuff to get used to, extreme length run; but the only elevation variation was some banking on the curves. That was the big toenail on one foot. I lost the big toenail on the other foot from running Boston 2016. Yeah, there were hills; but I don't know that they were a factor. There was a lot of other stuff going on at the same time.

The interesting thing is, I went to a podiatrist originally for stress fractures in my left metatarsals. I never asked him about doing anything else, but he started doing stuff to address fungal infections on my feet, a.k.a. athlete's foot. That seemed kind of incidental to me; it didn't hurt, so it's just a cosmetic problem, right?

Well, after a few months of doing various things that work slowly, my toenails started growing in straighter. The big toenails that I lost training for and running Boston 2016 grew back looking a lot nicer than the toenails I lost. And I haven't lost a toenail since, up to and including my 22 mile run yesterday and my not quite 13 miles in 100 minutes today. My shoes are the same model. My socks are the same kind. I may be running with slightly better form, or I may not be. The big difference has been treatment for athlete's foot and the toenails growing in straighter.

That's not to say straight toenails is the *only* thing that can go on. I'm sure poorly fitting shoes, toe boxes that are too small, poor running form, and all the other commonly cited causes of lost toenails are real; but they don't seem to be the critical factor in my particular case.
  • ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any tips advice on outer knee pain while running? I've been looking it up to see what it could be, in guessing maybe IT band. Let me know if anyone has experienced this type of knee pain and how you dealt with it. Thanks!

Actually and a little bit on the front but like on the lower bone. But it's mostly on that one side bone on the second picture. It sucks... I'm very worried.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - I’ve definitely bonked on long bike rides. It’s not fun. I will try the Nuun as well!

@mobycarp - 5 or 6 toenails at one time!!! Oh my gosh! I think my husband would leave me if that happened to me. Whenever I lose one he says "don't tell me! don't show me!" lol I like how you referred to as toenail dying. I didn't know what to call it. I had one die on me during the HM I did 2 weeks ago. It's completely black now and no longer hurts but hurt after the run and later. I haven't had it happen in a long time because I listened to the advice on here about shoes - but I did something stupid during the HM. There was a hill that goes over the river - right before the ocean. On the way back, my calves were so tight I decided I would run on my heels. Yeah,I said it was stupid. But my calves were so sore I thought if I ran on my heels just going up, at least it would help that. But I could feel my toes were suddenly hitting the top of my shoe, but I just kept on. Luckily I didn't hurt my heels or anything else!

Yesterday I had to take my quiz bowl team to an all day competition. I got up and ran beforehand, knowing I couldn't bike. We came in 4th which was great considering the competition. Anyway, when I got home I started feeling sick! :cry: I have had so many students out the last two weeks. I was joking with my classes, if I can have everyone here in class for an entire week I'm bringing in cookies. Seriously - every class has 3-4 students (out of 25 students) out for 4-5 DAYS! And apparently I caught it now. I really can't stay home tomorrow because it was supposed to be a day off but now it is a hurricane make-up day. And all the teachers who have little kids in public school or daycare have to take off to watch their kids so they asked us to please come in unless we are dying. I've been laying in bed all day. Except for getting up to get food - I've eaten no meals just junk. ugh! What is with me!? Running on heels, eating junk while sick.

HM is one week from today. I hope I'm feeling completely better by Wednesday.

2/1 - strength training
    2/2 - 4.30 miles
    2/3 - rest day(5)
    2/4 - cycling 34 miles
    2/5 - Daytona HM - 2:22.01
    2/6 - Strength training
    2/7 - 3.5 miles
    2/8 - Strength training + 3.1 miles with running group
    2/9 - rest day (6)
    2/10 - 4.1 miles
    2/11 - 44 miles biking
    2/12 - 53 miles biking
    2/13 - 3.2 miles + strength training
    2/14 - rest day (7)
    2/15 - 5 miles + strength training
    2/16 - 4 miles
    2/17 - strength training
    2/18 - 5 miles
    2/19 - sick. - I guess I'm not adding this to my rest day goal of 52 rest days for the year because it's really a sick day.

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 14 miles on the treadmill? In the gym I tried last year, they had a 30 minute limit on cardio machines during after-work hours - and it didn't bother me one bit, because I couldn't imagine running more than 30min on the thing anyway. 14mi are impressive determination, great job!
    I hope you figure out how to make the new shoes work without black toenails. Which model did you get?

My husband bought me that treadmill (for Valentine's Day!) I want to say 3(?) years ago, because he wanted me to stop dragging him to the gym. It would be a shame to leave it idle.

So far, my longest run on the treadmill is 18 miles. Coincidentally, that's how far I managed to run in my marathon, before everything fell apart. I aim to train for the full 26.2 this year.

The new shoes are Mizuno Wave Universe 5's. I've been eyeing them for longer than I've had the treadmill, so I picked them up when they hit $27 on Amazon. Aside from the right toe, they fit like gloves. I've already taken a seam-ripper to the shoe - but I'll give my toe a few days to make sure it's not going to blacken. I'll take the Merrell's out today.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Today was my first run since last Tuesday. Was very busy, traveling for work and then for personal. For a full week, I was home for about 13 hrs. total and almost all of that time was spent sleeping.

So I'm out of shape between the terrible diet while traveling and no running for 5 days. I plan to be too busy to run at all this next weekend, so will try to fit a few runs in during the week in order to reach goal.

exercise.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Long Run done this morning (10.6 miles. ~5-6 miles with group + ~4.5 additional loop + short commute)(for weekly total of 25.4 mi). Beautiful weather. Also found out that they FINALLY completed the replacement of the section of path they tore down while doing peace bridge plaza work several years ago. I was ecstatic. We took a short side-trip to the overlook portion during the group run this morning. No photos posted yet.

k3eal31jda5b.jpg

75cv7dswlyem.jpg

If you zoom in further on satellite view, it shows the old path:

p3gkc1rs8d5b.jpg

Monthly Total: 48.2 mi so far.

9dt0r0rm91au.jpg

Next Week (unless it recalculates something else tonight):

0xmh60pyhy6i.jpg
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
    2/5/17 - 7 miles

2/7/17 - 7.5 miles
    2/8/17 - 6 miles

2/10/17 - 12 miles
    2/11/17 - 4.5 miles
    2/12/17 - 7.5 miles

2/14/17 - 7 miles
    2/15/17 - 7.2 miles

2/17/17 - 14 miles
    2/18/17 - 3.25 miles
    2/19/17 - 7.5 miles
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Missed meeting my goal for the last 3 months. So shooting for a conservative 30 miles and I hope that I smoke it!

2/2....3.76 miles on the TM....sprints mixed with 4 minute recovery...average max heart rate at 88%. Attended Spinning class first...and then talked myself into running on the TM. I left work late and only got 5 hours of sleep, but still felt pretty good.

2/11....6 miles on the trail.Average pace 12:30...75 minutes. 66 degrees...beautiful day...but it started getting dark..ended my run in darkness.I feel really out of shape...I am amazed how quickly one can get reconditioned.

2/16....5.04 miles on the treadmill at 12 minute pace....average max heart rate at 88%.

2/19...6 miles on the Monon Trail....11:40 minute miles at average max heart rate at 94%.

I have been picking up overtime shifts....so this run today was a gift to myself for picking up shifts. Decided to run by how I feel. I ran the first mile in 10:03....still not cracking the under 10 minute mile but getting closer...this after working 2 twelve hour night shifts. I really focused on relaxing while running...did get in a groove around mile 5....felt euphoria...started getting tired around mile 6. I could have run farther but working a partial shift tonight. The weather was good (66 degrees with minimal wind). I mixed up my pace, experimented with different breathing patterns, foot strikes....I had a little ankle discomfort but not in either hips today. My breathing (lungs) was a little challenged.

Way way behind on reading posts....will try to catch up this week.

Total 20.08
    Goal 30.

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

February 1- 15km
    February 2- 11km
    February 3- 11.1km
    February 4- 22km
    February 5- 10km
    February 6- 15.1km
    February 7- 5.1km
    February 8- 14km
    February 9- 11km
    February 10- 10km
    February 11- Rest
    February 12- 18km
    February 13- 6km
    February 14- Rest
    February 15- 11km
    February 16- Birthday from hell
    February 17- 11.1km
    February 18- Rest
    February 19- 18.2km

190.6km/200km

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Actually and a little bit on the front but like on the lower bone. But it's mostly on that one side bone on the second picture. It sucks... I'm very worried.

@ccontr11 I've only had inner knee pain (my left front of my right knee), caused by flat feet and my brain/nerves not communicating in tandem quickly enough. I saw a podiatrist and physiotherapist, got orthotics for the flat feet, and did brain/nerve exercises that fixed it completely.

I think a physiotherapist appointment is in order for you, if you're asking for advice. Best wishes, and hope it's a simple fix.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 black/borked toenails at the moment. The second and third toes of both feet.

I've got them last year after my first 9 km run (that's the borked one), and more recently from 2 HMs, and my 27 km run.

My working theory is they mainly happen when I do a major distance PB.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I almost didn't run today. Woke up to more, unexpected, rain. It was supposed to be partly sunny and nice and I was planning to run 10-12 miles. The thought of another wet rainy run was just not appealing so I procrastinated hoping it would stop. I finally headed out in a drizzle thinking I would just go 5-6 like yesterday but it turned into a pretty great run. Cool and cloudy with a good amount of wind and just a bit of rain here and there. The sun did break through a time or too making it hot and steamy but it didn't last long. I am so happy I made it out. More rain is on the way tomorrow and I am heading to Dallas on Tuesday for meetings the rest of the week. Of course I am taking my running clothes and hoping to at least get in a few miles on the treadmill in the hotel gym.
    Date........Miles........Total
    02/01......4.63........4.63
    02/02......0.00........4.63 - + Strength Training and Rally
    02/03......2.35........6.98
    02/04......0.00........6.98 - Race Expo
    02/05....13.36......20.18 - Surf City HM
    02/06......0.00......20.34
    02/07......5.23......25.57 - + Strength Training
    02/08......5.97......31.54
    02/09......5.27......36.81 - + Strength Training and Rally
    02/10......0.00......36.81
    02/11......9.30......46.11
    02/12......2.00......48.11 - Dog Beach Sunday!
    02/13......5.00......53.11 - + Agility
    02/14......4.42......57.53 - + Strength Training
    02/15......0.00......57.53
    02/16......4.39......61.92 - + Strength Training and Rally
    02/17......0.00......61.92 - Monster storm
    02/18......6.50......68.42
    02/19......9.09......77.51

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Aim this morning was 25 minute recovery jog following yesterdays 10K PR effort, (still on a high from that but quite tired!). The jog itself was fine. I could feel the after effects of yesterday's run in general tiredness and stiff lower leg on right side, but actually the most difficult thing about the run was the fact it was very humid so even at easy pace I ended up sweating a fair bit.

Time/energy willing I may do tomorrow's assignment (45-min steady) this afternoon/evening as won't be able to do my long run this weekend so trying to make up days so I can do it Friday instead.

exercise.png
    01-Feb: 1.7km treadmill intervals [TM]
    02-Feb: 3.4k treadmill [TM]
    05-Feb: 6.6k + 5.5k easy
    06-Feb: 7.5k tempo
    07-Feb: 4.1k easy
    10-Feb: 10k easy
    13-Feb: 16k MP
    14-Feb: 6.4k steady
    15-Feb: 7.9k as 10min hard/3min recovery intervals
    16-Feb: 6k easy
    17-Feb: 9.2k steady
    19-Feb: 10k fast (race-sim) + 2k cool-down
    20-Feb: 4.5k easy

2017 Confirmed Races:
    19-Mar: Richmond Half Marathon
    14-May: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    FEBRUARY Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Done: 51.1 km

20/2/17 Run 10.6 km
    19/2/17 Run 3.5 km
    18/2/17 Rest day
    17/2/17 (walk 8.5 km)
    16/2/17 ( Walk 8 km, Strength Training)
    15/2/17 Run 5 km (walk 8 km)
    13/2/17 Run 10 km ( walk 7 km)
    7/2/17 Run 10 km

5/2/17 Run 5 km
    2/2/17 Run 7 km
    1/2/17 Rest day slow (walk 3 km)

Reached my February goal today. This month has been very fruitful regarding the mileage and covering 10 km in long run. :) Need lots of work in improving my speed. Good luck to everyone for their goals! o:)

exercise.png