February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe I have always preferred trails over roads (I know there are many who agree), but can't make it out to trails as often as I would like. As days get longer, there will be more time after work to be able to drive to a trail and run before it is dark out.

Having said that, I follow a professional athlete on Strava who is a trail runner and ultra runner. I notice she does nearly all of her daily training runs on paved trails or roads. In fact, I noticed she has started doing some hill runs about every week in an area very close to where a trail run is held on 4/1 (the same run I'm going to participate in, and I'm sure she is going to do the half marathon on that course). Except, she does hills on the other side of the river where there are paved city streets rather than dirt trails. She is an amazing runner, so I know she is doing something right. I'm just not sure if I understand why she does most of her training on pavement for a race on dirt / mud if there is rain. I keep trying to come up with the courage to ask her; but I worry I might come across as rude. Not that I mean to criticize, but I just can't quite understand it. It might be obvious if dirt trails are too far away to be worthwhile to drive to... but she is driving a little distance to the area with hills about every week. What is another 5-10 min. driving to get to the park on the other side of the river with similar hills and dirt trails? And wouldn't that be preferred anyway? (I mean better scenery...)

Really enjoyed my run today, and often get out on the flat trails near me but this the first time I've properly tackled the hills other than in a short burst - usually as a short cut on a point-to-point run.

With regards serious training, I would suspect her road training is probably more about injury prevention. Obviously I'm guessing, but I imagine she does just enough trail work to ensure her stabilising muscles and reactions etc are sufficiently developed, but I imagine she can get strength, speed and endurance work done just as easy on the road but at a lower risk of injury. Just my thoughts, but go ahead and ask
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn nice job on the PR!
    @Stoshew71 nice improvement over the unofficial half!
    @MobyCarp "nothing hurts" That is awesome!! it's great seeing your mileage getting back up there after all you've gone through.
    @OSUbuckeye906 yes, that looks like some great trails to run!
    @shanaber We have a lot of races here that allow dogs (at the back of the pack with the strollers) or are specifically for running with dogs (The Fast and the Furry). I've thought about taking Kody racing but the running induces crapping (for him, not me), and the way he stops on a dime when he has to go, I'd be afraid the runners behind us would trip over him.
    @dkabambe awesome PR! Great trail photos! Trail running is definitely addicting. It's harder, slower, and works more muscles, yet overall it's easier on your body and it's great for the soul. And regarding the pro athlete whom @midwesterner85 brought up, I believe you're less prone to injury on trails than on pavement, particularly when you're used to trails. On pavement your running form varies very little so there's more risk of overuse injury. Just my thoughts but I'd be interested why she's choosing pavement over trails.
    @BeeerRunner I'm looking forward to reading about how you killed it this weekend!
    @KatieJane83 congrats on your first 30, your fast mile, and feeling good!!
    @greenolivetree I hope you find your groove soon. When I have a few crappy runs I find what helps me is to go for a run with no plan. No planned distance, no planned pace, just a run to enjoy the run. I do bring my Garmin, but only to track the run later in my log. I start it and (try to) forget it. On the run I spend the first mile or so making sure my form and stride are on target then enjoy the ride.
    @honunui, that firehose flow is very cool! I saw some video of it. amazing stuff! I decided to add "See hot lava flowing" to my bucket list.
    @lporter229 welcome back!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Tonight is therapy so today is a walking only day. That's fine, my legs feel a bit wiped out from yesterday. Every time I get up from my desk, my knees are stiff. Ooof! I think it's definitely time for a new pair of shoes. My feet ached after last night's run, and that was just on a treadmill.

I'm looking at the New Balance 1080 v7's. Figured I'd stick with what works for me, maybe just go with a newer model.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    LOL, apparently I typed the wrong number in my last post because I got the "Your post will appear after it is approved" message!

Tonight is therapy, so today is a walk only day. That's fine, as my legs are a bit worn out after last night's run. Every time I get up from my desk, my knees feel stiff. Definitely think it's time for new shoes. My feet were aching after last night's run, and it was only a treadmill run.

I'm looking at the New Balance [ten-eighty] v7. Figured I'd stick with what works for me, just go for a newer model.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I've been reading and liking posts!

So went yesterday for the MRI on the hip, they also did an angiogram while I was there. Just got a call from the orthopedic's office. Besides the impingment from the bone spur in the hip, I have also torn my labrum and my IT band. I've never even heard of anyone tearing their IT band. So they are trying to making me an appointment at either local doctor at another practice or at Vanderbilt in Nashville for the next step. No matter what it will still require surgery, just more than they thought at first.

She said before you ask Dr. Thommason said you can run if you can stand the pain, but you run the risk of tearing it more. So it would make him happier if you don't run until we get you to the next appointment. I said okay, she said he also said to tell you you have high tolerance for pain if you've been running with this. ha ha!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom My goodness! You really did it this time! *hugs* You sound so brave about the whole thing!

@RespectTheKitty As much as you're running, new shoes are probably in order!

@7lenny7 Thanks. I'm gonna try to run tonight and see how it goes.

@snowyne Feel better soon!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha @7lenny7 brilliant!!! Made me giggle thinking of you trying desperately to avoid the horse poo!!

Re: the trail runner - is she perhaps just trying to get some no brain miles in? In that on the trails you have to be more super aware of your feet, but on road you can mostly just plod. Doesn't sound much fun to me though

I
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - You have just shown how much of a badass you are! Hope they are able to get you fixed up soon.
    @7lenny7 - I would never be able to pull that off...I'd kill myself! Way to go! Glad it was fun!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

With several days in the 60's, the snow was melting and the trails were wet, soggy, muddy, slushy and icy, which made for a fun time on the trails. At first I tried to avoid the mud and puddles because of all the miles I had to run, but after 2 or 3 miles my feet were soaked so instead of avoiding mud, I aimed for it. I felt like a little kid out there.

vby9kkhz8o4q.jpg

Haha! Pot! Sounds like a wonderful run.

I think I love your feet!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom well, that sucks. But I hear the surgery is often successful on the torn labrum. Hope the IT band repair is too. That's fascia that needs repaired? Or actual muscle? Maybe both?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 I'll know more when I go to the other doctor. I have heard lots of good things about the torn labrum surgery too, at least in the shoulder. I was actually in a meeting when the office called so I was in the corner talking to her ha ha. @karllundy you are too funny.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Goal: 100k

2/2: 3.1k easy, incline
    2/4: 1.2k -abandoned
    2/7: 1.5k -run/walk adductor testing, pain slightly
    2/8: 2k -easy run, so easy a lvl 1 zombie could catch me. Adductor behaved better.
    2/9: 1.5k -warmup for strength training-improvement
    2/10: 6k -easy, testing adductor went good
    2/12: 6.5k -easy
    2/13: 3.5k easy + 3k bicycle
    2/17: 6.4k easy
    2/18: 2k -warmup for strength training-
    2/19: 9.5k
    2/20: 1.5k -warmup for strength training-
    2/21: 5.1k -cool down from strength thraining and bicycle-

49.8/100k

Stay free of injuries!
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    I have found it difficult to post (haven't done so since early January I think). I have been crazy busy with work, and now my training schedule is nuts. I'm wanting to hit 160km (100 miles) in February. I've missed the regular posting here, so hoping to at least get some in this month. Longest race to date was my HM in November 2016.

Feb 1: XT (Walk)
    Feb 2: 9.5 km run, pilates, strength training
    Feb 3: Referreed 4 hockey games
    Feb 4: 21.1 km long run
    Feb 5: REST DAY (Yoga)
    Feb 6: XT (30 min swim, 30 min walk)
    Feb 7: 7km run (intervals in middle), 30 minute skating, 40 minutes strength training
    Feb 8: XT (30 min walk)
    Feb 9: 11km run (Tempo in middle)
    Feb 10: Refereed 2 hockey games
    Feb 11: 12km long run (step down week)
    Feb 12: REST DAY (Yoga)
    Feb 13: 9.5 km Intervals, 40 min strength training
    Feb 14: XT (30 min stationary bike)
    Feb 15: REST DAY
    Feb 16: 9.8 km Tempo run, 75 minutes strength training
    Feb 17: REST DAY
    Feb 18: 25.5km long run, 6km walk after
    Feb 19: REST DAY (Yoga)
    Feb 20: 13.5km easy run, 60 minute strength training
    Feb 21: 6.5km Intervals

Month to date: 125km/160km

Upcoming Races:
    Hamilton Around the Bay 30km (end of March)
    Ottawa Marathon (end of May)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-5.2 miles +1 mile with Stella
    2/2-1.2 miles with Stella +6.9 miles solo
    2/3-1 mile with Stella+2.3 shakeout miles
    2/4-6.2 miles Cyclones Frozen 10K-PR!
    2/5-14 miles
    2/6-rest day
    2/7-5.7 miles
    2/8-7.5 miles
    2/9-6 miles
    2/10-unplanned rest day due to nagging hammie. Lots of yoga and foam rolling
    2/11-20 miles
    2/12-4 gimpy recovery miles
    12/13-Rest Day
    12/14-Unplanned rest day for hamstring
    12/15-Unplanned rest day for hamstring/travel
    12/16-3.4 miles-easin' back into it at the beach
    12/17-4.5 miles
    12/18-2.1 miles
    12/19-6.0 miles
    12/20-10.2 miles

Just updated my ticker and wouldn't ya know it, I ran exactly 26.2 miles since my last update. Obviously no goal to be made this month with the little lay off, but I think the hamstring is coming along thanks in part to the rest, but mostly I just need to keep up with my stretches and foam rolling. I can spend hours running. Why does it seem so hard to find 10 minutes to stretch???

exercise.png
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear about your leg/ hip. I'll pray for a quick recovery for you.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 congrats on your longest trail run. Great story about your slide and what a maneuver to try to avoid the horse poop. Extra points for that! Your love of trail running is convincing me to seek out more of that when the weather improves.

@dkabambe your trail run looks awesome too!

@skippygirlsmom oh no on the tears along with the bone spur.

Others - congrats on good runs, sorry about no runs and bad runs. Thumbs up on new shoes!

No run for me today, the Tuesday usual workday interferes again. BUT - I am officially signing up for another half marathon tonight. Officially heading into half crazy land again!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    This Week:

2.20.17 - lazy/lacked discipline.
    2.21.17 - 10.4 m. 9:30 pace.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    7---2.45 mile walk
    10---same 2.45 mile walk
    11---3.79 walk
    16---3.00
    18---3.32
    20---3.39
    21---2.85 run walk. Ran 3 minutes nonstop. Was haarrd.

20.34/something

Maybe races
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @lporter229
    Glad you're back and thanks for the HM tips. I definitely won't be trying for anything crazy like busting 1:40:00, but 1:45:00 would be good. :smiley: My 2nd one is a trail race so no plans to attempt to PR, but I do want to at least place in my age group, unless I'm just feeling too rough.

I hear you on stretching too! I was thinking I'd do more yoga and foam rolling in my last taper week, but...not happening yet. Maybe tonight! Lol!

@7lenny7
    Your story cracked me up! That's why I love trail running...good adventures and funny stories!! I'll do my best to put up a quick post on Sunday, but water, bananas, and then beer will be a big priority. ;) Then comes cake since it's also my son's birthday.

@shanaber Welcome to Dallas tomorrow!! I've actually only run in Dallas once or I'd recommend running spots. Lol! I stick more to the Ft Worth side of town.

@skippygirlsmom Sorry to hear about more surgery being needed. You must have a very high pain tolerance!!

@HonuNui Amazing volcano pic! Did it smell like rotten eggs? :wink:

@dkabambe Cool trail pic!! Looks like a lot of fun!!

@greenolivetree Hope the running starts getting better for you. It can be discouraging when things don't go as planned, but I think you'll get where you want to be again. Like @7lenny7 said...just try to enjoy the run. :smile:

@KatieJane83 Congrats on your 30 mile week!! Well done!!