February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to determine how to do my run today. Obviously yesterday I was not ready for 6 miles, with this sinus infection. I'm thinking today I might break it up. Do a short run at lunch, maybe 3 or 4 miles. And then go to the gym after work, and get a couple more miles on the treadmill, and hopefully pick up a few heavy things and put them down again. Will play it by ear. This is the worst a sinus infection has kicked my *kitten* in a good long while, lol. It also doesn't help that it's going to get up to 70°F today! Blahhhhhh
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Wednesday: still feeling sore from a longer strength training session, and Deimer's last day here (he'll be in Puerto Rico for a few weeks taking care of some paperwork and stuff) - so no run (was supposed to be either Cooper test or easy 4.6 mi run with a few sprints). Yesterday, took it easy and did just a bit of easier strength training with resistance bands at home while watching TV. So still at 55.0 total for the month. I owe a short run today and a long run this weekend, both look like sucky weather and I have a race next weekend (just 5 miles though), so I'll probably shorten the distances.

nd1in6g6rovg.jpg

zl264zn204nu.jpg

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Almost there!
    exercise.png
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ritzvin What are you using for that calendar view? Looks kind of like Endomondo, but more detail than I can see in my Endomondo.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @BEERRUNNER I'm in Dallas and heard the weather report this morning for the weekend. Best of luck! Hope the rain is minimal and perfectly timed for the race!

I'll buy you a Hawaiian angle food cake, when we get to Hawaii!

@Elise4270 The race starts at 7am on Sunday. Right now they are saying only a 20% chance of rain, but it's changed throughout the week. I just hope it holds off until afternoon if it does rain.

My big concern is the wind! We hit the Stockyards between miles 6 and 7. From there, it's mostly all south and west...down Main St, through downtown, continuing south to the TCU area, INTO the wind, until around 18.5 miles. Then, I'll have the wind at my back. At least we won't be running into the wind during the toughest miles.

And I'll take that Hawaiian Angel Food Cake in Hawaii!! :yum:
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    @Elise4270 One more thing...if the wind is bad, I'm going to see if I can find another runner to take turns drifting each other. ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 One more thing...if the wind is bad, I'm going to see if I can find another runner to take turns drifting each other. ;)

Good thinking!
  • ritzvin
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    @ritzvin What are you using for that calendar view? Looks kind of like Endomondo, but more detail than I can see in my Endomondo.

Garmin Connect for the 1 month view. The weekly plan is from Endomondo (Training Plan view).
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Whew - so many new pages since the weekend. I only got to page 36 so far in my attempt at catching up and will save the rest for the weekend, so apologies if anything I write is already obsolete!

@HonuNui Wow, that lava flow picture is incredible! I didn't know there were places where you can actually watch lava. I've been to iceland and seen lots of hot springs / geysirs / cracks with sulfuric smoke coming out, but never anything like that. Really stunning!

@RespectTheKitty None of my sports bras have wires. Maybe you can find one without any wires too? idk, maybe with wire or without also depends on the chest size. I can usually get away with less support - small blessings, I guess ^^
    Anyway, against things that could chafe I use bike chamois creme. The one I usually buy is called "Udderly smooth" :p Also great for protecting toes from blisters if I know I'll spend a few hours running in the rain in wet socks...

@dkabambe Great offroad run! That looks live a lovely to run. One of the things I enjoy about running is discovering so many nice places in the neighbourhood that I never would have visited otherwise.

@midwesterner85 Regarding that pro trail runner who trains on paved roads: Maybe she has different phases in her training? Like she's working on speed right now and prefers to do that on easier surfaces where she can concentrate on that, and at another time she'll work on trail skills instead? Only guessing - I'd nearly always pick the trails over roads; but then, I'm not a pro, I mostly care about having fun when I run ;)

@skippygirlsmom You can tear your IT band and still run on it? That sounds really painful! I guess the only good thing about your hip problems is that you spotted the other injuries at the same time and can hopefully let them all heal simultaneously; rather than having one after the other... All the best for the next examination!

@7lenny7 Once my shoes and socks have been thoroughly wet, I always figure that at least the water will be warmed up by body heat. So I would rather keep those socks than changing to dry ones that will soak up fresh cold water over the next 10 minutes anyway...
    I've only done the slide-on-my-*kitten* manoeuvre in snow that was high enough that I didn't have to worry about horse poo :grin:

@Orphia I've never raced a 10mi race. But I would guess the pace should be roughly half way between HM pace and 10k pace?
    You could just play around with a race time predictor to decide how fast to run. At least for me, for the distances between 5k time to HM the McMillan calculator works quite well for me. This is what I get based on different PRs:
    - 5Km in 27:02 - predictions for 10km = 56:09, for HM = 2:05:10;
    - 10Km in 58:27 - predictions for 5km = 28:09, for HM = 2:10:18;
    - HM in 2:06:24 - predictions for 5Km = 27:18, for 10km = 56:42
    Well, based on those my 10k PR is too slow; but my last 10k was May 2016, while the 5k and the HM time are from September/October, after 3-4 month of increasing mileage following a marathon training plan. So that probably doesn't mean the calculator doesn't work, it's just a sign I should look for another 10k race at some point and try to run it in ~56 minutes :smile:

@garygse Congratulations on the HM PR!

--

I skipped my run yesterday. I got an invitation to make sushi with some friends, and wouldn't have had the time to cycle home and go for the scheduled 90min run (plus a shower) after work. Fortunately, it was a sudden day of spring (sun and almost 20°C) and I had taken the bike to work; so at least I managed to squeeze in an hour of cycling with some hills. I though about making up for the missed 13km today instead of taking the rest day that's on my plan. But by the time we had prepared all the different kinds of sushi and started to eat last night it was already almost 23:00, I got home around 2am and only had 5 hours of sleep. So I'm tired enough that a bit of yoga followed by hanging out on the couch sound like a nice alternative...
    I'm at 162km for the month, so I should still be able to make my 200km goal if I'm lazy today.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    5km on the dreadmill last night and 7km outside this morning!!

exercise.png

My ticker didn't show :#

My goal was 80km and I am now at 91km B)

Well now I feel silly ....LOL My computer is acting up something awful today!!!
  • ko4q
    ko4q Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi @BEEERRUNNER! Good luck on your race! If it is windy, definitely find a group to tuck in behind. Several years back, I was running the Richmond marathon (Va). Theres a section at mile 16 that runs over the James river that is always horribly windy. In this particular race, it was cold, rainy with a headwind + 20-30 mile gusts. I tucked in behind a group of guys running 3 abreast...the difference was dramatic. I did this until they gave me the stink eye and then I backed off (I know, bad etiquette on my part).

2/1 7.5
    2/2 athletic conditioning class (60')
    2/3 8.0
    2/4 11.0
    2/5 1.5 warm up + athletic conditioning class (60')
    2/6 7.2 with 3' pickups
    2/7 4.5 (hard) with 6x strength circuits
    2/8 7.25
    2/9 athletic conditioning class (60')
    2/10 3.75 + 30' stair climber
    2/11 3.6 + athletic conditioning class (60')
    2/12 7.2
    2/13 7.25
    2/14 3.5 + 40' tabata class
    2/15 6.0 (hard, with 6 X 3' pickups)
    2/16 5.0 EZ run + 30' with trainer for strength
    2/17 10 (with 5 miles at just under 8 mpm)
    2/18 3.6 + athletic conditioning class
    2/19 7.5 EZ (sore after AC class!)
    2/20 7.25 with 8 x super sets of 6 mins each
    2/21 4.5 (hard) with 6x strength circuits
    2/22 6.0 with 4 @ 10-miler pace (hard!)
    2/23 4.5 (hard with 6x strength circuits)
    2/24 7.3 8x super sets 6 mins each

133.5/135

Totally going to make my goal this month!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.
    2/3 - Rest day.
    2/4 - 2.3 'mill miles and then Bodypump class
    2/5 - Super Bowl = no run AND way overeating.
    2/6 - 4.01 miles.
    2/7 - 4.25 miles.
    2/8 - Shoveled in lieu of running. I hate snow.
    2/9 - 5.3 treadmill miles. Trek class with a lot of "tempo".
    2/10 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    2/11 - 4.33 miles. Red Flannel Run. Was supposed to be a 5 mile course! Someone sure missed on that. I was very happy with my pace and would have finished the 5 in under 40:00, so I was a little disappointed with that.
    2/12 - 2.3 treadmill miles and Bodypump class.
    2/13 - 4.1 miles.
    2/14 - Impromptu rest day. Woke up with significant pain in both feet and some discomfort in my right hip. Not sure what's going on, but thought it best to rest a bit.
    2/15 - 4.47 miles. (I think it was more like 4.62...GPS waited a block or so to start, weird).
    2/16 - 5.17 treadmill miles. Trek class.
    2/17 - 4.25 miles.
    2/18 - 5.75 miles. Longest run in a while, starting to stretch out. Felt good!
    2/19 - Rest Day.
    2/20 - 4.51 miles. 58° F at 4:45 a.m. in February? Yes, please!
    2/21 - 4.47 miles.
    2/22 - 4.52 miles. Again, nearly 50°! I could get used to this!
    2/23 - 4.20 miles. The nice weather is ending today.
    2/24 - My plan called for a rest day. Not feeling it. May run later.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Don't think I'm ready for a spring HM, but thinking of signing up for a summer or fall one (leaning towards fall because well, fall). I have a training program to follow which I plan on starting once I can run outside more consistently.

Since I also plan to do most of my summer running outdoors, that means I need to look into a hydration belt. Does anyone have any recommendations for one? Something I can wear on my long runs when there are no fountains around. What do the rest of you do for hydration during the summer?
  • BeeerRunner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ko4q wrote: »
    Hi @BEEERRUNNER! Good luck on your race! If it is windy, definitely find a group to tuck in behind. Several years back, I was running the Richmond marathon (Va). Theres a section at mile 16 that runs over the James river that is always horribly windy. In this particular race, it was cold, rainy with a headwind + 20-30 mile gusts. I tucked in behind a group of guys running 3 abreast...the difference was dramatic. I did this until they gave me the stink eye and then I backed off (I know, bad etiquette on my part).

@ko4q Thanks for letting me know how it went for you! I'm planning to run with a pace group until about the halfway mark so I figure I'll make friends where we can switch around.

I ended up drifting someone in a 5K last year. A guy passed me while we were on a high ridge with lots of wind, he just happened to go into the magic spot in front of me and WOW! I was able to keep up with him...with no wind! Got my 5K PR of 22:00 in that race.

In a HM last year, I had a guy drifting me for miles. It was a small race so it was obvious that he was drifting me. I sometimes changed positions to stay in shade or get to flatter areas of the road when there was a strong slant, and he'd go wherever I went. When the song Bodies by Disturbed came on my headphones, I envisioned his body hitting the floor...lol! Eventually, he couldn't keep up with me anymore. I wouldn't have minded if he offered to switch periodically. But, he just stayed silently in my wind free shadow.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I think hydration systems really come down to personal preference. Of course that doesn't really help if you've never tried anything before.

I first tried a Nathan hydration belt, which holds a 20oz bottle in the back, at a slant, with two small pockets on either side. The pockets could hold your keys or a couple of gels, but not your phone. I had to get the position and the belt tension just right or the bottle bounce would drive me crazy, but it wasn't hard to do. The belt had an elastic section which I think is critical. I then wore it just above the widest part of my hips rather than my waist and it worked well. We adjusted right it didn't bother me, but it could be tricky reaching around behind you to remove or replace the water bottle.

I then tried a handheld bottle...the kind with a strap you put your hand into so you don't have to clench the bottle to hold it. This had a pocket large enough to just barely hold my phone, keys, and couple of gels. I thought I'd hate carrying the water but I don't. The strap works for either hand so I switch from time to time. The downside is that you don't have both hands free. Another downside is that I like to freeze my water for runs in the summer but I don't want to hold a big ice cube in my hand when I run, so if I want to start out with ice, I use the belt.

If you have running stores around, I think your best option is to go and try them out. Get your running gear on, head to the store, and pick 2 or 3 belts or handhelds which seem comfortable and see if they'll let you fill them with water and run a mile. Now the comfort at mile 13 may not be the same as a run around the block when you try them out, you'll have a better idea than just picking one because someone else said they like it.

• ritzvin
    Options
    I bought one of these a few years ago - use it for long orienteering meets.
    http://a.co/hG7yKbG
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MOG @7Lenny7 Why did you do that to me on a Friday afternoon???? Now I just want to go home and eat bacon. that looks AMAZING!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Goal: 100k

2/2: 3.1k easy, incline
    2/4: 1.2k -abandoned
    2/7: 1.5k -run/walk adductor testing, pain slightly
    2/8: 2k -easy run, so easy a lvl 1 zombie could catch me. Adductor behaved better.
    2/9: 1.5k -warmup for strength training-improvement
    2/10: 6k -easy, testing adductor went good
    2/12: 6.5k -easy
    2/13: 3.5k easy + 3k bicycle
    2/17: 6.4k easy
    2/18: 2k -warmup for strength training-
    2/19: 9.5k
    2/20: 1.5k -warmup for strength training-
    2/21: 5.1k -cool down from strength thraining and bicycle-
    2/22: 10.6k -intervals ~5:10 min/km-
    2/24: 7k

67.4/100k