Venting Over Weight Loss

Options
I've been working out consistently for a little over three months now. Clean eating, calorie counting and portion awareness. I still have not lost any weight. I can see a difference in the mirror, albeit rather small. When do I get to see a difference on the scale? Or will I not as long as I'm toning/building muscle?

Replies

• Emily_AK87
    Emily_AK87 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your eating at maintenance, you'll need to drop calories.

I average 500 to 800 under daily (well, under this apps suggested calorie goal)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld and @chocolate_owl are correct.

I took a look at your diary. I think you are eating at maintenance mostly because you're significantly over estimating your calorie burns when you exercise. Also check the portions by weighing/measuring.

When you input cardio into MFP, you should reduce the calorie burn it gives you to ~50% (maybe 75%) of what it says. So say it says you get 357 calories from the elliptical, you should enter about 179 instead. I also notice you're logging a LOT of "cleaning, vigorous" in your diary. Is it really vigorous? If it were me, I probably wouldn't log it at all (would not put that in the diary nor eat back any of those calories) and if I did, I'd log as light effort with the 50% reduction. The last time I logged housework like that what on moving day when I was carrying boxes around (to and from the truck).

MFP over estimates most calorie burns.

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Your exercise calories look too high to me.

Cleaning - don't log it.
    Eliptical - your burns look similar to what I get on my gym's elliptical which I'm sure is a gross overestimation
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    I just browsed through your diary. It doesn't seem like you're weighing most items, and some of your calorie burns look large. Have you ever weighed your protein powder, bananas, meat, etc. to see how accurate you are to the serving size you're logging? Where are you getting your calorie burns from?

No, I just enter what's on the app as far as food amount and calorie burn. And do size, not weight.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have no idea what runaround is talking about, your calorie deficit is fine, in fact it looks like you barely ever eat back your exercise calories, so some days your deficit is huge. Everyone is different, just keep up what you're doing and if nothing else, you will feel better and see your body composition start to change. Being healthy and having healthy habits is more important than the number on the scale.
    Edit to add: weighing your food is important, I agree with the above posters. I often overestimate my portion size if I'm unable to weigh my food.
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld and @chocolate_owl are correct.

I took a look at your diary. I think you are eating at maintenance mostly because you're significantly over estimating your calorie burns when you exercise. Also check the portions by weighing/measuring.

When you input cardio into MFP, you should reduce the calorie burn it gives you to ~50% (maybe 75%) of what it says. So say it says you get 357 calories from the elliptical, you should enter about 179 instead. I also notice you're logging a LOT of "cleaning, vigorous" in your diary. Is it really vigorous? If it were me, I probably wouldn't log it at all (would not put that in the diary nor eat back any of those calories) and if I did, I'd log as light effort with the 50% reduction. The last time I logged housework like that what on moving day when I was carrying boxes around (to and from the truck).

MFP over estimates most calorie burns.

OK, good to know. And yes, vigorous cleaning is legit (I'm clearing out a hoarders house for an estate company and I only logged half my day there to be safe because it did seem high).
  • Emily_AK87
    Options

Cleaning - don't log it.
    Eliptical - your burns look similar to what I get on my gym's elliptical which I'm sure is a gross overestimation

OK, I grossly appreciate your estimation of my workout.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Emily_AK87 wrote: »

Remember, the numbers you use for calorie burns and food/intake are just estimates. If you're expected results don't match your actual results, then tweak your estimating a little. In most cases, it's easier to adjust estimates for calorie burns down a bit.
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    I have no idea what runaround is talking about, your calorie deficit is fine, in fact it looks like you barely ever eat back your exercise calories, so some days your deficit is huge. Everyone is different, just keep up what you're doing and if nothing else, you will feel better and see your body composition start to change. Being healthy and having healthy habits is more important than the number on the scale.
    Edit to add: weighing your food is important, I agree with the above posters. I often overestimate my portion size if I'm unable to weigh my food.

Awesome, thank you
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Remember, the numbers you use for calorie burns and food/intake are just estimates. If you're expected results don't match your actual results, then tweak your estimating a little. In most cases, it's easier to adjust estimates for calorie burns down a bit.

Is the 50% decrease on calorie burns, like someone said above, a good start?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Yep. Unfortunately there's a lot of trial and error involved in all this, especially when you are just starting out. Things like weighing food can reduce a little of that, but ultimately all the numbers we use are just estimates... and it takes some time to figure out what the "right" numbers are for you.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options

That is a good place to start. I use a heart monitor to log my calorie burns, and if I went by MFP I would be WAY overestimating my burns and, consequently, overeating.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Cleaning - don't log it.

That's not what is being said...what is being said is the it's difficult to estimate energy expenditure and most machines and data bases overestimate energy expenditure...often quite significantly. If you're not losing weight, you're ultimately eating a maintenance level of calories or you need to see a doctor about any potential medical issues or vitamin/mineral deficiencies that could interfere with metabolism.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I would def consider getting a HR sensor. They cost around 70-80 bucks but well worth the money in the long run for workouts. The calorie estimations has been amazing for me, lost around 60 lb's getting to my ideal weight, keeping most of my muscle mass, gaining strength.

And I would also recommend a good food scale. They are really cheap, and its so easy to work with them once you get used to weighing your meals. Its the only accurate way really, otherwise you will under or overestimate your calories.

Those two above comes to mind really, unless its medical, which, well, if the two options above don't work, I would certainly recommend seeing a medical professional.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Cleaning - don't log it.

Ellipticals in particular are notorious for overestimating calories by 40-50%. No one is saying you're not working hard. Chopping off 50% of your exercise calories is a good place to start.
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/how-inaccurate-are-calorie-counters-gym

I'd really recommend getting a food scale and checking the accuracy of your calorie logging. As an example, my protein powder says a 200 cal serving size is 1 scoop or 30 grams. 30 grams fills up about 3/5 of the scoop. If I use a full scoop, I'm actually getting 333 calories. Most things aren't this drastic, but you can see how you can end up eating a lot more calories than you think if you don't really know if labels are accurate or what 130g of banana looks like.
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Cleaning - don't log it.

That's not what is being said...what is being said is the it's difficult to estimate energy expenditure and most machines and data bases overestimate energy expenditure...often quite significantly. If you're not losing weight, you're ultimately eating a maintenance level of calories or you need to see a doctor about any potential medical issues or vitamin/mineral deficiencies that could interfere with metabolism.

So the actual machine reading is wrong?