Workout equipment recommendations

Hello all! My husband and I just did some calculating and realized the amount of money we spend annually on gym memberships is ridiculous, so we have decided to put a home gym in our basement. What are some must haves when it comes to home gyms? We have a nice treadmill already. I think I would use free weights and TRX bands the most, in addition to the treadmill. We have a pull up bar also. Anything else you think is a must have?? Looking to get started on it asap. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Just depends o what you would use. I had a home gym with a treadmill, elliptical, bike, free weights and squat/bench rack, but found I didn't use it all. I would just get what you think you will use.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Must haves for me would be a power rack along with an Olympic platform, an adjustable bench, barbells and plates along with bumper plates, a range of dumbbells and ideally, though not a deal breaker, a cable station.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    You can do almost everything you want with a squat/bench rack....

Plus no one will look at you funny for doing curls in the squat rack at home.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Medicine ball
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Stability ball. Kettle bell. Hand weights (in the weight of your choice - and maybe a few light and a few heavier). Bands for stretching and curls too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

I don't know, man. I might just give myself the ol' stinkeye in the mirror if I did that.

Seriously, though - as previously mentioned - whatever you'll use. What are you using now? That, unless you'd rather use something else.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »

I don't know, man. I might just give myself the ol' stinkeye in the mirror if I did that.

Seriously, though - as previously mentioned - whatever you'll use. What are you using now? That, unless you'd rather use something else.

Currently I attend a bootcamp, but it is so expensive and my work schedule changed so it's just not as convenient to go anymore. My husband is in the hunt for a squat/bench rack right now. We try to by everything used to save money so it may take a bit to find one. These are all great ideas though! We are excited to get it done.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    A good power rack/squat rack is really all the "equipment" you need, besides the weights.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Must haves for me would be a power rack along with an Olympic platform, an adjustable bench, barbells and plates along with bumper plates, a range of dumbbells and ideally, though not a deal breaker, a cable station.

^this
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    My husband is in the hunt for a squat/bench rack right now. We try to by everything used to save money so it may take a bit to find one. These are all great ideas though! We are excited to get it done.
    I slowly pieced together a home gym of mostly used equipment. Used DIY power rack and weights was first. I bought new horse barn stall mats (available at Farmer/tractor supply stores) and plywood for flooring.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What do you use at the gym? It seems that would be answer unless there is something specific you have questions about.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    _benjammin wrote: »
    My husband is in the hunt for a squat/bench rack right now. We try to by everything used to save money so it may take a bit to find one. These are all great ideas though! We are excited to get it done.
    I slowly pieced together a home gym of mostly used equipment. Used DIY power rack and weights was first. I bought new horse barn stall mats (available at Farmer/tractor supply stores) and plywood for flooring.

My attempt at building a power rack turned into a full scale monkey bars/hanging planter.

Unfortunately, the DIY nature of it, and the less than level spot I elected to place it meant that eventually it had to be torn down. But it was fun, and useful.