Rate of loss guidelines, can someone repost?

Options
I saw in a thread last week, but now I can't find it, about appropriate rates of loss for certain weight brackets. Specifically, I am F, 5'6" and have had my settings at 2lb or 1.5lb week per loss since my SW of 252 (pre MFP was 256). My CW is 196.8 (GO ME!) and with my settings at 1.5 a week, my calorie goal is 1230. I know I am not going to be happy with that, and switching it up to 1lb per week gives me 1450 per day (omg what will I do with all that food??!!).

I was going to stick it out at 1230 for another month and a half for weight loss contest at work, but the more I really think about it, that's kind of silly...isn't it?

Anyway...someone in a thread last week posted a table of sorts with lb per week target losses based on certain weights so I am hoping that someone can repost that. I know I haven't explained it very well, but I guess I am looking for validation that yes it's time and safe and appropriate to move to an expectation of fewer lbs lost per week. I have consistently been losing +/- 2lbs per week since September eating 1200-1300 per day. Exercise is kind of inconsistent for me, so I can't reliably eat back my exercise calories.

Also, hungry!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    It is time, safe, and appropriate to change your lbs lost per week. Congratulations on your weight loss so far!! You're doing a wonderful job!! The best goal is one you can stick to without feeling deprived. Up it to 1450-1500 and you will continue to lose, but you'll also be learning more maintenance which will come in handy once you reach your GW.

I've lost consistently on 1500-1600c/day, myself. I started at 229lbs and got down to 179lbs before I stopped MFP and over a couple years gained 30ish back.

Add in a bit of exercise and you could possibly keep your current rate of loss. It doesn't have to be 30 mins of sweating. 10 jumping jacks here and there, some push ups off and on, a few sit ups when you have a moment. Commercial breaks are great. I haven't done any lengthy exercise, but those little bits do add up.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    It is time, safe, and appropriate to change your lbs lost per week. Congratulations on your weight loss so far!! You're doing a wonderful job!! The best goal is one you can stick to without feeling deprived. Up it to 1450-1500 and you will continue to lose, but you'll also be learning more maintenance which will come in handy once you reach your GW.

I've lost consistently on 1500-1600c/day, myself. I started at 229lbs and got down to 179lbs before I stopped MFP and over a couple years gained 30ish back.

Add in a bit of exercise and you could possibly keep your current rate of loss. It doesn't have to be 30 mins of sweating. 10 jumping jacks here and there, some push ups off and on, a few sit ups when you have a moment. Commercial breaks are great. I haven't done any lengthy exercise, but those little bits do add up.

Thank you! That's the kind of validation I need. I have worked REALLY hard and have had such success. I love my new life.

I exercise in spurts. For weeks, I will be on point, and then life gets crazy and it becomes less of a priority. I keep my MFP set at the bare minimum to continue to be successful, but I think it's time to "level up." I can count on walking the dog 2x a day for a grand total of 30 minutes and when it's not butt-*kitten* cold, I get an extra walk in. When life isn't totally nutso, I even willingly go to the gym and bust out a few miles on the treadmill, but I know I want to work toward more consistency and eventually lifting heavy--but I'm just not there--YET.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No more that 1% of your weight per week.

There is a table that keeps going around here that is based on how much you want to lose, but it is just something that someone on here dreamed up and then people keep reposting it.
  • serindipte
    Options
    I try to get in a walk when the weather's not brrrrrrrrr, as well, but I don't count on it and have lost plenty without even doing that much. I'm planning to join the gym around the corner and start going there at least a few times a week, but waiting on income tax $$ for that. lol

I would Love to see your before and after pictures. I bet it's AMAZING!!!

I sent a friend request :smile: We can watch each other shrink!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I say do whatever you're comfortable with and isn't too restrictive for you.

I started out with a slower rate of loss to get into the swing of things, tightened up to a quicker rate of loss, and now I'm loosening up my rate of loss again.
  • serindipte
    Options
    Btw, not sure how old you are, but I'm 42, 5'4" and pretty sedentary. The way I figured my calorie goal was with the TDEE method. I used tdeecalculator.net and figured what my TDEE would be for my goal weight: 1536 and I eat a bit under that. When I do reach my goal, I'll already be adjusted to eating at that level and I know weight loss will naturally slow as I approach that weight.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Btw, not sure how old you are, but I'm 42, 5'4" and pretty sedentary. The way I figured my calorie goal was with the TDEE method. I used tdeecalculator.net and figured what my TDEE would be for my goal weight: 1536 and I eat a bit under that. When I do reach my goal, I'll already be adjusted to eating at that level and I know weight loss will naturally slow as I approach that weight.

I'm 42, also and also sedentary. I was playing around with TDEE calculations last week and might switch to that method. I have about 45lbs to go to my goal. I'm not in a huge hurry to get there, but would like to steadily make progress as I have been.

I have an alternate profile on MFP (actually my husband's he doesn't use). I put in my stats there yesterday to non-committally get what my calories would be at 1lb per week. I just put them in on my actual profile, and it spit out 1300 calories. BUT, when I go to my goals page, it says 1460 (which is about what I was expecting).

I wonder what gives...but I'm going to aim for 1350-1450 for the rest of the week, regardless.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You mean something like this:

75+ pounds = 2 pounds per week
    50-74 - 1.5 pounds per week
    25-49 - 1 pound per week
    1-24 - .5 pound per week

I guessed at the numbers, but I think that's the general idea.

If you're being hungry/hangry, probably drop the deficit to a pound or half a pound a week. I changed to half a pound when I still had 40 to lose. The bigger my calorie goal got me off my sneaky eating habit and I wasn't as b1tchy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If 1230 is low, and 1450 is high, how does 1340 sound? Yeah it would be 1.25 per week that doesn't fit into the MFP drop down nicely, but who cares?
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

25-49 - 1 pound per week
    1-24 - .5 pound per week

If you're being hungry/hangry, probably drop the deficit to a pound or half a pound a week. I changed to half a pound when I still had 40 to lose. The bigger my calorie goal got me off my sneaky eating habit and I wasn't as b1tchy.

YES, that. Those guesses are good enough for me.

I just adjusted up to 1lb from 1.5lb and I fall just inside the 49-to-go range. Taking that and my hunger into consideration, I bet a few more calories will do me good. I'm not a sneaky eater...yet...but I don't think I'm too far off.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    If 1230 is low, and 1450 is high, how does 1340 sound? Yeah it would be 1.25 per week that doesn't fit into the MFP drop down nicely, but who cares?

That's probably where I will end up. I am extremely cautious in order to stay in the green, so a calorie goal like 1450 will actually mean I'll probably eat 1350, because that's just how I roll.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I use Google Fit on my phone and aim for an hour a day of just "movement". It adds up! A couple minutes walking to and from the bus, a lap of the block at lunch, using the far-away bathroom at work... it's not the same as a workout, but it's certainly better than nothing.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    No more that 1% of your weight per week.

There is a table that keeps going around here that is based on how much you want to lose, but it is just something that someone on here dreamed up and then people keep reposting it.

While it's true that this is technically safe, it's not always practical or practicable, given a variety of factors.

I will use myself as an example.

I weigh, well today my weight is up. I weighed in at 118. My goal weight is 110. Using the 1% rule, I could theoretically lose a pound a week.

And that's fine, I have a TDEE, that when my migraines aren't acting up, hovers around 2000. I should, in theory, have no trouble hitting a 500 calorie deficit, right?

Nope.

My body fat is pretty low for my age and my activity level is really high to get that TDEE. My sedentary calorie goal is only 1350. To support all of that activity, I need more than 1500 calories.

You'd better believe I'm not doing an aggressive cut. I tried. You know what happened? It led to binging.

The theory that you can safely lose 1% a week is all well and fine for larger individuals, but I think that once you're starting to really lean out, it's best to slow it down to the rates we recommend on these boards because other factors come into play.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

25-49 - 1 pound per week
    1-24 - .5 pound per week

This. Let your behavior dictate your rate of loss.

Especially since you've said you're not in a rush. It's better to do it and have it not be torture and a constant struggle with hunger and sneaking food or going so far as binging.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Here it is and the guess was pretty good.