Stretches: Helpful component to a good workout

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think it's important for people to have adequate range of motion to perform daily tasks of living and from an exercise standpoint it's important to have enough mobility to perform exercises properly.

Stretching is one way to assist with some of that, however I don't think it's arbitrarily important unless you're using it to accomplish a specific task (of course, if someone enjoys how it makes them feel, great!).

I'm not aware of any mechanism by which stretching contributes to muscle growth, however.

Just anecdote but I've seen this with multiple people -- my mobility and ROM at various joints has improved A LOT by lifting weights without any stretching at all.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any mechanism by which stretching contributes to muscle growth, however.

Just anecdote but I've seen this with multiple people -- my mobility and ROM at various joints has improved A LOT by lifting weights without any stretching at all.

I was curious and google led me here: http://www.somastruct.com/stretching-a-form-of-strengthening/
    I'm not familiar with the author, but its well-researched. Apparently, static stretches and resistance training are similar in that they produce tension on the muscle, which signals hypertrophy. Resistance training improving flexibility is touched on as well. Most relevant study: Resistance training vs. static stretching: effects on flexibility and strength.

I'm also curious about how stretching is therapeutic. Like jemhh mentioned, I found it essential when I had tendinitis problems, but I don't understand how it helps or why it felt so much better! I suppose its similar to foam rolling where you're breaking up 'adhesions' (which I also don't understand)?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I do not stretch. Only dynamic stretching and myofascial release. Static stretching almost always feels dumb.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »

I was curious and google led me here: http://www.somastruct.com/stretching-a-form-of-strengthening/
    I'm not familiar with the author, but its well-researched. Apparently, static stretches and resistance training are similar in that they produce tension on the muscle, which signals hypertrophy. Resistance training improving flexibility is touched on as well. Most relevant study: Resistance training vs. static stretching: effects on flexibility and strength.

Thanks! This is definitely interesting, although I don't think this addresses the idea that stretching is beneficial in people who are lifting, meaning that I don't think we can use this as evidence to suggest that stretching benefits hypertrophy in people who are training for hypertrophy. It's definitely new info to me though, I haven't seen the studies he's referencing.

I'm also curious about how stretching is therapeutic. Like jemhh mentioned, I found it essential when I had tendinitis problems, but I don't understand how it helps or why it felt so much better! I suppose its similar to foam rolling where you're breaking up 'adhesions' (which I also don't understand)?

I'm also not sure on the mechanism, but the most recent things I've read about foam rolling and other forms of self myofascial release are that it doesn't actually do anything to physically remodel fascia.

Here's a good resource (IMO) if you're interested:
    https://www.painscience.com/articles/does-fascia-matter.php#sec_tough