Deadlift Stall

Options
2»

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's not a very popular opinion, but some back rounding is okay. Depending on whether it's thoracic or lumbar rounding, you may very well be fine. I think a lot of help can be given with a video.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's not a very popular opinion, but some back rounding is okay. Depending on whether it's thoracic or lumbar rounding, you may very well be fine. I think a lot of help can be given with a video.

Actually, I think most of the more experienced lifters will agree. Especially if it thoracic.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things that could be causing your back to round. Lat strength, improper set up, and a crooked bar path are just a few I can think of. I'm really interested in seeing a video of your lift, but in the meantime here is a deadlift tutorial that may help.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Post a video if you would like potentially accurate feedback.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't have a video. I might be able to ask someone to help me with that next time. I came to this verdict based on feel.

While you may very well be rounding, feel isn't necessarily a very good indicator. A couple of months ago, I pulled a max deadlift and thought my lower back was probably looking like a candy cane. Luckily, I had video. No rounding whatsoever. I was fairly shocked. Happy, but shocked.

As has been said, get a video. Even if you just set your camera on a bench nearby, that'll help. And make sure it's a side view. Front is nice, too, but definitely a side.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for today's workout I was able to complete my 1 x 5 at 135.

Here's the verdict; my back is rounding. How do I correct that?

as you are setting up for the lift pull the slack out of the bar and squeeze your shoulder blades together , some people refer to it as putting your shoulder blades in your back pockets, or squeezing walnuts under your armpits. Whatever cues work for you. keep your shoulders rolled down and back through the whole lift, this is where lat engagement comes into play.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Here's the verdict; my back is rounding. How do I correct that?
    Without video, my guess is that your hips are too high. Pull your hips down by bring your chest up if conventional. If sumo, pull yourself down to the bar and bring your chest up.

When in doubt video. That feedback (even to yourself) is an invaluable coaching tool.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll see what I can do about getting a video to post.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just grip it and rip it! Oh wait that is golf :)