Can I 'train' myself to like foods that I don't?

Options

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It may take 10 tries of something to train your tastebuds to like something. So keep at it, you will get used to them, but also try the veg cooked different ways.

Also, it's normal for children to not like veg, especially certain green veg like sprouts, however, taste does change as you get older.

I was a fussy eater as a child, but love veg and salad now.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all the great advice everyone! I will certainly try a lot of what you are suggesting.
    I like the thought of picking just one vegetable at a time and playing around with it.
    I make fruit smoothies and like the suggestion of adding some greens, thankyou!
    Also I have found some Thai/chinese dishes i like so maybe going down that route will help...

I have been buying a few different veggies each week and trying them with a meal and not hating them.. so maybe I just need to be more consistent.
    I do believe it's probably all in my head because I've grown up thinking I hate them all, but it's so hard to try and convince myself after all that time that i can actually like it.

Sorry I haven't directly replied to every comment but I've taken all advice on board and appreciate the time taken to reply!!

If you're looking for ideas for different greens/veg to add to your smoothies, check out simplegreensmoothies.com. It's a pretty great resource with lots of different recipes you can try. :)
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I know your pain!! My diet as a child was bread and meat. I did eat fruit too.....sometimes. Yes, it is possible to develop a liking to some foods.

It takes a lot of time and experimental trials. And retrying the food over and over. Plus, sometimes it just takes time.....

I sometimes, all of a sudden, like foods I had to choke down before. It is really weird actually.

I would not recommend forcing yourself to eat a portion of foods you don't like, just keep trying bites cook it in different ways and seasoned differently.

I am still finding food that I can now eat but could not stand before.

Best wishes and good luck with finding the right mix of foods for you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible but it's a slow process. My youngest son would barely eat anything except sausages when he was growing up. I tried everything including pureeing veg and "hiding " it in meals but he always knew! He's now 22,living away from home,cooking for himself and eats anything that's not nailed down! I think it helped that he has a vegetarian girlfriend
    :smile:
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Pretend you're someone else before you taste the food. Speak with an accent and wear costumes to this effect. It's an all out war to trick your brain into liking new things.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. I never had vegetables growing up other than potatoes and corn for a can. The first time I had broccoli was after I got married..and I did not like it at all! When I decided to start taking care of myself and eat healthy, I tried just about every vegetable, still didn't like them. I continued to make and eat them and now vegetables are my favorite (especially roasted). Just keep trying, changing the cooking method and the spices and you may end up liking them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can change your tastes. There will always be some things that you don't like but it sometimes takes trying things more than once before you like them. Trying different preparation can also make a difference. If you don't like a vegetable raw, then try it cooked. If you don't like it steamed, try it sautéed in butter or olive oil. If you don't like it sautéed try it roasted. Etc.

Try eating the vegetables with a sauce or gravy. Try eating them as part of a recipe (casseroles, stews, chili, soup, etc.) rather than alone.

But most importantly IMO is don't try them with the attitude of "I don't like vegetables". Thinking you won't like something before you try it is a pretty good way to ensure that you don't. Give it a fair shot.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think so. Sometimes it's not that you dislike something, it's that you didn't enjoy that item as it was prepared. I know there were things I didn't like to eat as a child that I love now. Even as an adult, I've always disliked sweet potatoes and then I tried a sweet potato mash a few weeks ago that accompanied something else I ordered at a restaurant and it was the best thing ever.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes. Btw, habitual consumption of vegetables isn't mandatory for vitality. I mean it doesn't hurt but it's no magic pill like it's marketed as. That being said don't sleep on them just yet. You can chop them up and add them to a stir fry so they eventually take on the taste of the main dish.

You're right - not mandatory.

But they can be very helpful in bulking up a calorie dense dish. Example: mac'n cheese with some cauliflower stirred in. I can have small portions of Mac'n cheese forever, but if I like veggies I can find a way to increase the portion without increasing the calories very much.

OP - you may never like some veggies, that's okay. But make an effort to find others that you enjoy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've had zero luck in learning to like foods I have not liked forever. Eggs, most veggies and a few others that I turned my nose up at as a kid and still won't eat at 51. Out of them, eggs are the one I wished I could stomach the most, but they nauseate me.

I get by on raw cucumber, carrots, snap peas and celery. With some cooked peppers in there. And I'm fine with salad.

No brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, cooked peas, cooked carrots, beans, squash, cabbage etc.

Not losing sleep over it and still down ~65 lbs.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Don't eat foods you don't like. Simple.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

Ooh I don't know why but you could pickle some veggies and see if you like them that way? LOL
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I'm not a fan of the idea of not eating vegetables. Or being a picky eater.

There are a couple things I dislike, pickles for example, and it's mostly mental.

If you isolate the item you don't like, then it's honestly... not that bad.

I don't like pickles, but I purposely try them occasionally because I don't like being they type of person.

Vegetables are good for you. They're just not as tasty as a slice of bread with butter on it.

My suggestion is to buy quality ingredients and just suck it up once a day.

It's good for your skin, your hair, your everything.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Do you like lemon pepper seasoning?! Try some Lawry's lemon pepper. Makes veggies extra tasty! Has citric acid in there for a little extra zip, just like fresh lemon.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Try adding cauliflower rice to your smoothies, you really cant taste it and it thickens them up really well. Also, try roasting veggies. spray with cooking spray, salt pepper, 400 degrees until soft, flip occasionally to avoid burning. Never fails
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think you might have to eat the same thing several times to develop a taste for it if you really want to change your habits. Obviously you are still alive without eating vegetables though. Do you like fruit? Eat plenty of fruit.

Vegetables can taste pretty different depending on how you prepare them.
    I'm a fan of roasted or grilled vegetables. I used to hate green peppers but at some point I got tired of picking them off of pizza and stuff and just started eating them. I like them well enough now raw or cooked. I still dislike fresh cucumbers though.
    My dd will pretty much only eat veggies in a pasta sauce or soup situation.
    Zucchini or cauliflower are pretty bland. When you add them to dishes the flavor is not as noticeable. You can use them a lot of ways.
    You can puree cooked vegetables and mix them with ground meat for burgers, meatloaf or meatballs. Add to smoothies, soups or sauces.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Try adding cauliflower rice to your smoothies, you really cant taste it and it thickens them up really well. Also, try roasting veggies. spray with cooking spray, salt pepper, 400 degrees until soft, flip occasionally to avoid burning. Never fails

I love this idea! I just saw in another post that someone suggested adding beans as a thickener. Definitely need to try both soon. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I used to "need" enough cream and sugar in my coffee to make it taste like coffee ice cream. Since I started tracking, I went black and never...stopped drinking it that way.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Do you like fruits? When blended into a smoothie you can't even taste the veggies. My favorite to blend in are bell peppers, carrots, and and cucumbers because they are sweet so you can't taste them at all.

Also yes the more you eat veggies the more you will like them. As I ate healthier the more I wanted to eat them and actually crave them now. In addition to that you will begin to appreciate how they make you feel... after eating every healthy if I eat something unhealthy I actually feel sick after wards... it's definitely worth trying to get past these issues you have as veggies are the best way to fill up without a ton of calories.

Good luck I hope that you can turn your diet around it is so worth it!
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You just have to find which veggies you like. I'm picky too but I tried many until I found some I like. I love spinach the most. At the end of the day, I have to say that at first I thought I didn't like them either. it turned out I just didn't prefer them. After eating healthy I start to prefer the veggies now and do crave them. I had a mixed veggie melody today for lunch because I WANTED to.