Snacking on nuts? Good or bad!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I buy them at Aldi's and put a serving in a snack size bag and have them occasionally I do watch how many I eat due to the calorie content they are low in carbs and do have protein the most important thing is to plan ahead if you want to have something like nuts so you are under calories and yet getting plenty of Quality fat
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I can't have them. Too calorie dense. They aren't even really a part of my maintenance diet.

Me either. I don't want a serving size, I want the whole bag. They are a food I cannot moderate therefore do not buy.

Yeah I don't even know what it is. It's not like I'm always thinking about nuts (hehe). Once I eat a few though I just want them all.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I use them as a garnish for salads and mains. Snacking on them, if I haven't pre-measured and hidden the rest away, makes it a challenge for me to stop before I go over my calories.

This is also what I do.

Snacking on them would not be satisfying for me. Plus, they work so well with other things. A small sprinkle mixed in oatmeal, salads, even with popcorn (I love popcorn and roasted pecans together) makes them seem more satisfying and last longer.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. If you can't stop once you start better just to not have them around at this time.
    Also depends on how hungry you are throughout the day, if I'm lucky and I'm not hungry at the end of the day(or feeling sick not wanting to eat) I'll eat a whole TABLESPOON or 2 (weighed out based on the jar) of peanut butter and looooove it, 100-200ish cals gone in a flash haha.
    But if I'm having a hungry day I know I won't be doing nuts I'll have fruit or vegetable instead for the fiber and bulk.
    Over time I'm finding I'm staying full on less food and I'm incorporating 10-20 grams of various nuts in the morning mixed into my oatmeal or yogurt. But aaaaaaalways have to weigh.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I can't have nuts in my house, I can't eat just a handful. They are a deal breaker for me. :'(
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They provide for healthy fats...they are calorie dense. If you are exceeding your calorie targets, it doesn't matter if they're good fats.

I totally read this wrong. At first I thought you were giving her the green light to eat beyond her calorie targets as long as she was eating good fats. :s I've read enough of your posts to know your weren't suggesting that. I eat nuts every day, just a few except on days of long cardio, then I eat more. I just have to make room for them.